Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying Phones on the internet?

• 05-06-2003 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

I've a siemens m35 for about 2 years and fair enough it does the job and its a tough little phone but i want a new one!

I was thinking of getting a nokia 6100 or one along that line.

I have a vodafone pay as you go sim and i dont want a bill phone, so is there any way you can just buy a sim free + contract free phone on the internet or otherwise?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

expansys.com is usually best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Yep - Agreed with Carrotcake.

I Ordered mine on a Wednesday and Had it on a Friday. You will need to fax off a copy of your credit card (Both Sides) and a Copy of some ID too. Just Be Prepared and It will all go smoothly ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

so what do i get with the fone if i buy it without a sim?
    all i have to do is stick my vodafone card in and it will all work ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

www.mphone.co.uk can sometimes offer better prices and lower courier charges

have previously ordered phones and other kit from them and expansys and both deliver quickly provide tracking info

hth,
    BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I've bought a couple of phones on ebay without any hassle....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

http://www.commtrades.co.uk can be okay. I haven't dealt with them support-wise, but the orders that I have made have arrived without a hitch. Delivery costs about €30 though. A lot of the prices are better than expansys.

all you have to fax them is your credit card (front and back)and some id, right?
    i ordered my phone on Staurday and got the confirmation email. Then on Sunday i got the request for further info. I send the copy of the credit card and id this morning and i still haven't gotten confirmation of that. I want it to get it in before the susposed 3 oclock shipping. I haven't done anything wrong have i?

they will send you a shipping confirmation with the tracking number (usually FEDEX) when they have the credit card processed - although you should have the order number from the first email so you can always give them a call quoting it to see how things are progressing at their end

hth,
    BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

i went to the carfone warehouse to buy a nokia 6610 - handset only that is.... I wanted to take the sim card out of my old crappy and seriously old 3310 and just stick it in a new fone. Anyway they told me that the handset only would cost €360!!! serious ripoff.. so i started looking around and it turned out the the same company in the UK sold the same fone for £189 which is about £260!!!! which i think is very resonably considering it has a colour screen and radio... as well as many other features....

so anyway it would have cost £50 to get them to delivery one the the republic so i went across the border to enniskillen and into the carfone warehouse and bought me a new fone!

F**k this rip off country!! i buy only wat i have to here!!! everything else i buy from the net!!!

wow, if you use anybody, use expansys!
    what i was saying above all went ok. They have a good website and excellent tracking and delivery page.
    It tells you things like:order recieved, processed,shipped (and then there is a link to fedex tracking. My order was shipped today and it is estimated for thursday!
    i haven't used anyone else but expansys seem top notch to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Hi Zab.

I Was Browsing the Website you were telling me about and they provide a Handy Currency Converter. I'm a Suspcious Bastárd and so also did a currency conversion on www.xe.com and with a calculator. It Turns out they were adding on £10 without reason here and there :eek: . I verified this by trying to purchase various phones on their website and got the same thing each time.

I Emailed their support email address with a screenshot of the error. I also enquired if they had the particluar phone I wanted in Stock (Just So they Would Reply) - I recieved an email saying that they would get on the problem straight away and that I would recieve a promt response - One Month Later I still haven't heard from them.

Thought I'd let you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

god i hate that kind of sh*t!!! thieving ba*tards!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

Expansys.

Jusy got a gleaming new Sony Ericsson T610.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭Ajos

mPhone have the T610 at £299 (albeit on back order) as opposed to Expansys' £323. Any reason not to order from mPhone?

Originally posted by Ajos
    mPhone have the T610 at £299 (albeit on back order) as opposed to Expansys' £323. Any reason not to order from mPhone?

no reason at all - ordered my last handset from mphone and have used them before for accessories also

they can work out cheaper than expansys for some handsets and are just as efficient

hth,
    BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Originally posted by Mutz
    I Was Browsing the Website you were telling me about and they provide a Handy Currency Converter. I'm a Suspcious Bastárd and so also did a currency conversion on www.xe.com and with a calculator. It Turns out they were adding on £10 without reason here and there :eek: . I verified this by trying to purchase various phones on their website and got the same thing each time.

That is interesting! Actually, their site seems to have been down for the past while... perhaps they're fixing it :) . On the other hand, even if they were adding on a suspicious surcharge, they were still cheaper than expansys for most of the phones I checked at the time ( when I was buying my last phone - a little over a month ago ).

Still cheeky though.

Zab.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kc10

what are expansys like for stirling to euro conversion, their sony ericsson t300 is approx 100 stirling including delivery ,which is 145 euro on unision.ie currency convertor, are expansys honest or chancers like commtrade.I emailed them about their currency conversion but got nothing back yet.
    dc

dunno about sterling, but dollar to euro is fine - just got a phone duty free off their american site :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kc10

do you get the phone battery,charger etc. with phones from expansys as it says 'handset only' , when you click on a phone, can someone confirm this please as that t300 seems good value at 145 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭ondafly

does the expansys US site ship to Ireland - I added a phone to the basket etc, and only options i had to ship to were US and Canada ?

• Advertisement

nah, they don't send to ireland. otherwise it wouldn't be duty free :)

Advertisement