Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save Even More With CDWOW

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

One problem with the HK site is that the selection is not always the same as other CD wow sites. For example, see if you can find The Simpsons Season 3 DVD. It wasn't there when I looked, but I found it on 4 other CD wow sites.
    I also looked up the Donnie Darko R2 DVD on various CD Wow sites and the prices are as follows. Ireland is the most expensive - no surprise there!

Hong Kong (www4.cd-wow.com.hk): €18.71
    US (www2.cd-wow.net): €20.05
    UK (www6.cd-wow.com): €21.76
    Germany (www3.cd-wow.de): €23.95
    Ireland (www3.cdwow.ie): €24.95

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I ordered Advance Wars for the GBA on friday (still hasnt arrived :( ) off the uk site. I didnt order off the hk site in case the game arrived and was in chinese or some other asian language.

Any of ye ever order games off the hk site? Any proplems with the language version on em?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

There is no difference in ordering something from the Hong Kong, American, Irish or whatever CDwow site. The actual products are the same its just a different front end. Although, the selection of stuff sometimes differs (I had to order the Futurama DVD from the english site).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I've just ordered The Trills and The Manics new albums from the .hk site. Total costs @ e22. Not bad considering the price of a new CD in HMV. And I don't have to get up off my backside to buy it.

thegills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Oh just to let people know

that from 1st July all goods coming into ireland (outside europe) must have VAT paid .. or something similar

I wonder if this will affect the Hong Kong site (presuming you are paying Hong Kong vat .. thats why cheaper)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

here and here

gives a link to the new VAT legilisation .. so you might find that you pay the same amount as the .ie site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

As far as im aware that will only affect Online services and downloadable software. Wont affect hardware like cds, dvds, broomhandles etc....

Also, it doesnt matter what site you order from, your order is shipped from the same place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

On thursday I ordered

O - Damien Rice
    Night On My Side - Gemma Hayes
    Radiohead - Kid A
    Radiohead - I might be wrong
    Family guy Season 3 DVD

from www.cd-wow.com.hk all for 61 Euro.

They arrived Monday morning.

Bloody fantastic site!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

I'm surprised no one has jumped up and down over the attitude cdwow display to their Irish customers, i.e. charge them more cause they are stupid enough to pay.

We had this with komplett before, price differences between .de .no .uk & .ie. With a with a bit of leg work for some boards types they came on here, explained themselves, rectified the situation and later set up their consumer interaction board.

I guess the difference here is that for now, people smart enough to read boards and buy of the hk site aren't blocked from doing so.

It's up to you, but I'd kick up a fuss if I were a customer. Bought off the exact same people, shipped from the exact same place but we are expected to pay 3-6 euro more on a CD??? The risk is if you do complain they might just block you from the .hk site for showing such ingratitude.

rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Once I made a cockup and ordered a DVD from them which was not PAL (my player is Multiregion but PAL only).

Their online interface has no way to cancel an order so I had to use the contact form at c. midnight Irish time.

By 00.45 the order had been cancelled by them (by a human :) )
    By 02:00 I had a second email from their payment processor telling me that my CC had been refunded.

I was well impressed with them. Soem of these slick e-biz interfaces have no humans in the loop behind them at all.

I order the DVD's from the Hong Kong site at all times and not the .ie site. The top 75 is the same on both from what I can see. The difference, in my experience, between the HK site and the IE site for a GIVEN product is that HK is 20% cheaper.

Your username and password work on ALL Cd Wow sites so if they had a special in Germany only, you could order off that site if you wished. The German site is about half way between HK and IE in price. Delivery is included anyway.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭oneweb

Anyone hear Gareth O'Callaghan on 2FM raving about CD-WOW and similar sites over the last few days? :) It's great that he's helping people across the country learn that it's worth checking out cheaper places and not just putting up with rip-off Ireland. Apparently he's getting a lot of response from it too.

Keep it up Gareth! ;)

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I just (by chance) heard the bit where he mentioned the .ie site and Pigsback. Did the cheaper .hk site also get a mention?

No, but he did mention the .co.uk afair. Let's hope HMV, Virgin et al cop on and react the right way (as opposed to upping prices for lost sales).

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I have been buying from CD-WOW uk, for a few years. I have noticed that my orders always arrive incredibly fast and are posted in Hong Kong.

The other company that I find very handy is www.bclub.co.uk

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Fry

CDWOW is excellent !

I bought Family Guy 1 & 2 for E37.95

I checked a couple of shops (hmv) E40 each !!!
    what a rip!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I gota say CD-WOW is bloody great, never had any on-going issues what so ever and there customer service is great.
    Did get a broken CD once and they sent me out a new one straight away and covered the cost of me sending back the old one.

I have to say I was very impressed!
    Another good site is play.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

On cd-wow.com.hk,how do u change the price into euro??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭s8n

you can't.....use www.xe.com/ucc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Thanks s8n and Mercury_Tilt you have just saved me alot of hassle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Just recieved a CD form the HK site (I'd used the IE site up to now). It took 4 working days and arrived in perfect condition. Saved almost €3 over the IE site. Thanks to everyone on the boards for the heads up. :D

I don't rally care what HMV etc. do, I'm shopping online from now on.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

Question for Mods

Are we aloud to post discount links here for cdwow??

Neonitrix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

I'm not a mod, but I don't see why not, neonitrix. :confused:
    By the way, the way to bypass the MP3 protection on CD's is simply to take the analog feed from your stereo to your PC and digitize it using an Audio grabber. (This is not illegal in Ireland BTW)
    Use 'Adobe Audition' or similar audio grabber.
    Simple when you know how. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by oneweb
    Let's hope HMV, Virgin et al cop on and react the right way (as opposed to upping prices for lost sales).
    Hmm, seems HMV are doing a buy 3 for €30 offer. Might sound like a good deal but it's only a limited selection and no doubt the individual prices more than make up for the cost :rolleyes: Called in today to be disgusted at the prices yet again.

It is what it's.

This article in the Independent today mentions rip-off CD prices nd CD Wow. Will hopefully convince more people to start using CD wow instead of paying twice as much in HMV.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

fwk

that link requires registration
    can u copy into body of thread reply?

tks

Sorry forgot about the registration!

Here you go:

'Shop around' advice as CD album prices vary wildly

CONSUMERS have been urged to shop around for CDs as a startling random survey of prices has again revealed that the cost of albums can almost double between music stores.

The Consumers Association of Ireland accuses record shops of unfair practices and says that they are making massive profits on music CDs.

Prices varied widely andsporadically from store to store - with some music chains charging less for one CD than a competitor . . . while at the same time being more expensive for another choice of album.

Albums are bought in by the large record stores at just over €4 each, depending on artist, and shops are able, in some cases, to quadruple this figure in calculating the retail price, thus making a handsome profit.

Association chief executive Dermot Jewell warned that while many people believe there is a 'recommended' price for CDs and that if you buy the album in one shop, it is the same elsewhere, it's simply not true.

"It's one of the most blatant examples where it really pays to examine prices from shop to shop," he added.

"Music shops make massive profits on CDs. There's no doubt they could be sold cheaper - but with no pressure on the industry to cut prices, record shops know they can get away with charging what they want."

A random price check among some of Dublin's most popular music stores showed the current release by new Irish artist Gemma Hayes, 'Night on my Side', costs just €9.99 at Tower Records on Wicklow Street but just around the corner at HMV on Grafton Street the same album soars in price to €21.99 - a massive jump of €12.

At Golden Discs on Grafton Street the price of the artist Sade's greatest hits album 'The Best of Sade' was €15.99.

The same album at Tower Records was a staggering €23.99 - an €8 difference.

'Melody AM' by Nordic popsters Royksopp cost €13.99 at HMV. At Golden Discs, however, it was €21.95 - and not much different in Tower, at €21.99.

Now, however, a new Irish music website, www.cdwow.ie, is offering CDs at competitive prices - €13.95 per CD - including free delivery.

The company, which is an off-shoot of a British firm, claims to be 'without doubt the least expensive supplier' and credits its low prices to the fact that its products are sourced from major record companies worldwide.

Mr Jewell, meanwhile, issued a warning that unless the record industry cuts its prices the problem of 'bootleg' CDs will grow massively, since music fans have tired of having to splash out on expensive albums.

The music industry here is losing at least €5m a year to pirate sales, according to the Irish Recorded Music Association.

Nicola Anderson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I spotted a site the other day:

www.freerecordshop.com

It seems to have a couple of nice compilation cds. Has anybody ever heard of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

I just bought 2 cd's from the cd-wow.com.hk site for €11.22 each:p

elbow and spiritualized's new offerings which retail at approx €20/21 in hmv, virgin, GD etc

sweet deal!

Advertisement