Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fans wearing out

Options
  • 05-06-2003 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭

I reckon the heads here will have a better idea than the Technology board, hence posting here:

I have a problem in work with fans (PSU and chipset) gumming up and stopping. The machines are running in a very hot environment (cramped internet cafe) and case temp is always above 30 degrees with PSU temps much higher.
    I have a feeling the heat is causing the lubricating grease in the fans to thicken/dry out. The manager and I have been pressuring the owners for a while to sort out some proper air conditioning for the place (humans as well as PCs are frying) and this could be more ammunition for me - I'm about to get 16 motherboards replaced under warranty because of failed chipset fans and I've already had about the same number of PSUs replaced because of the fan stopping. There are currently four machines down because of serious motherboard problems (although I suspect that's more to do with leaking capacitors than the chipset fans).

Has anyone had similar experiences, or does anyone know anyone with a bit of mechanical grease technology knowledge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Under the sticker in the centre stick some wd40 or the like . Never heard of so many fans going before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I reckon they're crappy cheapy fans tbh.
    At this stage it would be cheaper for NEC to go out and buy us a load of Dells as replacements :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

not sure if will work...

If the cases are in a press or something you could try to filter the air first (don;t block te inlets onthe case it'self though)

you can get dehumidifers or air chillers too -hopefully they will take the junk out of the air first..

Used to have a site in the UK very dusty - the server was in a special sound proof box - mainly cos it had fans with filters on them - you could also try big heatsinks and bigger SLOWER fans - also I think the MB should cool better with passiver vertical air flow if the fans break down...

check the bios as well in case there is a mode for slowing down if temp is too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Most if not all lubricating greases will thin, not thicken as they heat up. Your problem is more likely to be the grease heating and running out of the bearings or evaporating over time. Larger slower fans is an idea worth looking into; less speed = less friction = less heat.
    All a dehumidifier will do is dry the air and give your customers chapped lips :(

Advertisement