Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And hilarity ensued...

Options
  • 05-06-2003 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭

I was in HMV today, my attention caught by their shiny big sale thingy. And I browsed the metal section and spotted... MOTLEY CRUE! :p The "Shout At The Devil" album was 45 quid! I MEAN WTF?!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

45 quid?

for the love of god man..
    did you ask why?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

It was the same with Dream Theater's "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance". Absolute rip off. I think it was roughly around the same price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Last time I looked, all the Blind Guardian albums were €37.50!!!
    ****ing horendous! And I really wanted that BG album...

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    Last time I looked, all the Blind Guardian albums were €37.50!!!
    ****ing horendous! And I really wanted that BG album...
    FS! Where was that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

hmv have blind guardian?
    hehehe
    since when?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Since when did albums 20 years old cost so much though?

It's just crazy. I hope that the EU actually go ahead with that look into the record industry and make them get their acts together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

As far as I know Ireland is officially the most expensive country in europe to live in at the minute, so it really wouldnt surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

the moral of the story is buy stuff online from overseas and give the rip-off merchants int his country a giant "F*CK YOU"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

anyone interestedin a mass sit down or head banging protest in HMV ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

hmv have blind guardian?
    hehehe
    since when?

That's exactly it. They're counted as "underground" by HMV. That, and they have to import them too.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Mystic Fibrosis
    That's exactly it. They're counted as "underground" by HMV. That, and they have to import them too.
    Yeah, I was looking for Slayer's "Hell Awaits" cd for ages before I could find one at a suitable price elsewhere. I remember it being around the €37.50 mark, and it was only a seven track disk that is only 35 minutes long FFS!

Maybe we could form some sort of activist group against the record companies ripping us all off and using the old "supporting the smaller artists" routine as a cop out. I'd sure as hell be up for working my ass off for such a group once my leaving's done. If it worked <eventually> for IOFFL it could work for this cause...

Anyone think it's a good idea, or am I at that 2am stage where my brain's shut down and all the sh1t that would never otherwise get aired comes out?

Originally posted by lordsippa
    Maybe we could form some sort of activist group against the record companies ripping us all off and using the old "supporting the smaller artists" routine as a cop out. I'd sure as hell be up for working my ass off for such a group once my leaving's done. If it worked <eventually> for IOFFL it could work for this cause...

Anyone think it's a good idea, or am I at that 2am stage where my brain's shut down and all the sh1t that would never otherwise get aired comes out?
    I'd be interested. As long as we don't have to do much! Sorry I am a very lazy person. But yea I'm interested.

Excellent... It should just be a matter of getting some musicians on our side (slowly working through the web of people we all know until eventually SOMEONE high profile gets involved), getting some media coverage (and since the Napster media circus, it's been a pretty high profile topic), and bombarding the government (to investigate and legislate) and the record companies with letters, petitions, etc.

Once there's even the slightest bit of coverage to this movement, we'll have politicians swearing they'll support us, trying to win the youth vote in a manner that won't damage the economy.

Afaik, the EU has opened (or was planning to open) a commission investigating the high prices of cds etc. But it would be take a few years, or so they claimed. And the record labels will always defend themselves by claiming that they need to charge more to make enough to support their smaller artists, and that mp3s are damaging their sales. What SHOULD be done is an investigation into how much the CEO's of these companies earn, and so on, and then once it emerges that they're screwing not only consumers but their own employees <including the musicians> their should be legislation put in place to protect the consumers and musicians.

<No, I haven't thought enough about this... will be asking around to see if there are people interested and to get more ideas>

[edit - dear god what was i posting before? i blame the exams. :p]

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Sven-boy you genius!! That is a truly marvellous idea. So here's me giving my wholehearted support. Wish I'd come up with it. But yeah... just let me know what (if anything) I should do.

}:>

Advertisement