Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Office Question

• 05-06-2003 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

if I sell a computer with Open Office included on it, is that within the GPL and EULA?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

I think it's only that if you make any modifications to it you'd need to release the source code. As for selling it, well anyone can sell an OpenOffice or Linux CD for 100 quid, but it's also going to be free to download and even if you make some awesome modification to make it a gazillion times faster/more colourful, you need to tell everyone - for free - how you did it.

Simple solution would be to sell it with a few burned CDs with the OPen Office and another CD with it's source code. That'll fulfill all your obligations and scare the new purchaser as well!

It doesn't really make a difference; but the reqs are that you need to provide the source. And that's you, not just saying "it's on a website somewhere". Although the regulations are lax and I can't imagine EFF knowcking on your door, it's nice to be correct (and after all, Red Hat used to ship with one CD of the compiled OS and the other with the source code - I don't know if they still do it).

Magazines stick GPL stuff on all the time and never bother with the source. Essentially they haven't changed anything so don't really need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Hold on ... gpl means you have to provide source code for any code predicated on gpl on request.... nothing more.

You can take gpl code... use it ... and all you have to do is supply source code on 'request'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

thanks for the input, seems I should be okay. Dont really wanna shell out on office for these machines i want to sell.

Advertisement