Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM and Processors

• 06-06-2003 3:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭

the PC i am using is a load of ****e to be honest. after an hour or 2 of use it goes really slow. some programmes run really slowly no matter when i use them. i'm thinking of buying some RAM. i'm thinking of buying 128 MB of the stuff to improve my PC's performance. would i need a new processor too or would the RAM be enough. i was told i have something like 24 MB of RAM at the moment. does this make sense because i am really clueless

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

if you right-click on My Computer, go to properties, it should tell
    you how much ram you have. 24MB seems odd... how old is the
    pc??? what version of windows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

it is 28 MB. i got the PC in 1999 and it has Windows 98

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

24MB seems odd
    It does seem odd. Sounds like you have two sticks of RAM, one is 16Mb and the other is 8Mb. Even for 1999 this isn't a great amount, and tbh if you're buying RAM now you'd better make sure you're getting the right type of RAM. I'd advise checking the RAM modules in your motherboard to see what type of RAM it is, more than likely it's going to be PC100 RAM or PC66 RAM (otherwise known as SD) or if it's very old it might be EDO RAM - which IIRC is hard to obtain nowadays except from old computers of course.

Also be sure that

a) You have not 'maxed' your RAM slots, i.e would buying more ram mean having to take out one of your RAM sticks (obviously the 8Mb one)? If this is so you might end up with 8Mb less than you thought.

b) Your motherboard can support the RAM you want to put in. Better check the model of the motherboard, and you can google for the manufacturers webpage. That should give you the pertinent information. If you're stuck, post the model number here. Again this should be available in system properties, but if it isn't try a utility like sisoft sandra that is useful for telling you more than you *really* want to know about your system.

Also, when you're running these applications, you can free up memory resources by closing background programs. Just hit Ctrl + Alt + Delete, which brings up a task manager. You can end task on everything in there except the task you want to run, explorer, and systray. This may be useful in making more memory resources available to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

what sort of cpu is installed.
    How many free slots have you left.
    what type of motherboard are you using.
    the handy way to make your computer run faster is installing more ram.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I had an old laptop with 64MB ram that used to do this (get slower as I was using it) all the time ... turns out it was a memory leak and was fixed by reinstalling Win98 sp2 ... of course more ram is always better for performance, if you have a look for your motherboard manufacturer and model (this is usually written in white ink somewhere on the motherboard) and post it here I am sure some kind soul will point out the correct ram for your machine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jackanorystory

goto crucial.com and you will be able to select your pc make and model and it will tell you how much it can take and it is also the cheapest place to buy it.

Obvoiusly buy through the uk site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Mossy Monk, can ya tell us anything else about your pewter? if
    you shop around, you might be able to find something
    new(er)/second hand perhaps for cheap enough (i'm talkin' sub
    €200/300 here). that would be better than just sticking some
    more RAM if the computer you have is fairly old...

if you think the RAM alone will do ya, try http://www.shop4memory.com

their selection of SD RAM, and EDO RAM.

SD RAM, EDO RAM??

is there any way of telling which one i need by looking at what's there already?

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    SD RAM, EDO RAM??

is there any way of telling which one i need by looking at what's there already?

have a look in your system information. or else download something like SiSandra this will give you the full spec of each component in our pewter :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭hulhi

the easiest way would be (i think) just to open you case pull out the ram check around for images or google for it's serial number,
    anyway here's small guideline which might help you
    1).30-pin SIMM it was popular on 386 and 486-based systems, but became obsolete with the rise of pentium-class 64bit CPUs. it's dimensions usually are
    W5.08 x H16.59 x L89.03mm
    2).72-pin SIMM, are commonly found on late-model 486 systems, most Pentiums, and most early Pentium-compatible systems. They can be either fast-page or extended data out (EDO). 486-class systems can use only fast-page SIMMs, but Pentium-class systems that use SIMMs can use either type. Fast-page and EDO SIMMs should not be mixed. Typical dimensions
    W8.98 x H25.65 x L108.20mm
    3).DIMMs well i think everybody knows them, but just in case:
    Most DIMMs are Synchronous DRAM (SDRAM). On motherboardswith both SIMM and DIMM sockets, SDRAM cannot be used in conjunction with SIMMs, but the relatively rareEDO DIMMs can be used along with EDO SIMMs. all DIMMs have:
    three edge connectors of varying widths for positive keying
    different pinouts on each side of the module, typical dimensions
    W8.89 x H32.00 x L133.80

hope it helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

do you know micro pro in nutgrove avenue?

there they are selling 520mb of ram for only €59!

great value

what kind of RAM?
    i presume 512MB SDRAM, if it is PC133 then depending on the brand it's good deal

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

yeh it's DDRAM! great value and well worth buying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I've a ram question too. I know pretty much nothing about it.
    Anyway, I want to get some more, 256mb just isnt cutting it. I'm looking to get a 512mb stick. I think it's SDRAM pc133. It's a Dell Dimension 4300 if that's any help.
    Where's the best place to get some? I've looked at Peat's and Komplett's site and it's gonna cost over €100. Is this accurate or could I get it for cheaper?
    Help appreciated.

that depends on what sort of ram they were offering you? crucial ram or cosair,if it is any of these the price seems to be ok you coould go for some generic ram either have a look at this from komplett http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=8906&t=1502&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=17&GrpID=4&s=pl

but i would personally go for the crucial, or the cosair ram before going for generic ram :D

if you have dell dimension 4300, than you'll be better off with 256MB SDRAM PC133 module,
    'coz according to dell tech sheet your board can support only 512MB memory, so if you get 512MB chip than the one you have will be spare (no point eh?!), but before getting any memory modules just check inside your case how many slots/connectors (should be two) are occupied, if both of them are, then go for 512MB and i guess you should sell the other two chips (which should be 128MB each)
    good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Thanks for telling me that.
    It's got one stick of 256mb atm.
    Guess I'll have to go for another 256mb stick.
    Poxy dell mobo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭piet

Hi, recently I put some more ram in my pc: 2x256
    It used to be 128 and is now 600.
    After reading this thread I downloaded and installed sisandra
    and this is saying the temperature is 69 degrees and to switch off immediately!
    Can this be caused by the extra ram?
    If so how can I install a extra fan?
    My pc is p4 1.3

so my PC likes SDRAM. how do you know if it's double sided or single sided?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Lewcifer

if you look about the place in some programs (hardware spec programs etc) they should say something like: sdr/ddr dimm in rows 0 1 (if its double sided) or just 0 (if its single sided). otherwise physically look at the stick of ram and if it has things both sides of the stick, its double sided, if not its single sided.

• Advertisement

i ordered my RAM last night. how long do Shop4Memory normally take to send things out

when i'm putting it in do i replace the RAM that's already there or stick it in beside it

i ordered my RAM last night. how long do Shop4Memory normally take to send things out

when i'm putting it in do i replace the RAM that's already there or stick it in beside it

you should be to just stick beside it

i put it in the 128MB stick. this combined with the 28MB i had already is only giving me 92MB. am i missing something here :confused:

i put it in the 128MB stick. this combined with the 28MB i had already is only giving me 92MB. am i missing something here :confused:
    try taking out the old memory module(s) and install your new chip into first slot (should be numbered 0 beside it) if the BIOS recognizes your new memory as 128MB then add the rest into following slots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Chaps ,
    I wouldn't mind upgrading to a 512 , do you think I can and if so can you make out here exactly what kind I need , PC133 PC100 , double sided or what ? I have tried to attach a bitmap of my system summary by Sandra (SiSoftware) but it hasn't worked my first attempt at putting up an image (How is this done) ?

Originally posted by tinofapples
    Chaps ,
    I wouldn't mind upgrading to a 512 , do you think I can and if so can you make out here exactly what kind I need , PC133 PC100 , double sided or what ? I have tried to attach a bitmap of my system summary by Sandra (SiSoftware) but it hasn't worked my first attempt at putting up an image (How is this done) ?
    can you give us a model of your pc (if it's branded) or you can open it up and lookup for us motherboard model (it is usually in white and in larger font the rest)

just open your sandra memory and press PRINTSCREEN next to the F12 right hand side go to paint save as jpeg, then attach on boards reply :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Mac Daddy , thats exactly what I tried to do but I've never posted a picture on a thread before and don't know how to !!

Advertisement