Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive on way out...

• 06-06-2003 5:30am
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I hear clicking from one of my drives, not sure which one it is from. but one is a western digital 80gig 7200 8mb cahce
    its just a lil than 6 months old,
    other one is seagate barracuda 80gig, just a little over 2 months old.
    Anyone know where if I could find extensive harddrive programs
    and once yea hear the clicking it means its gon yea?
    Cause on boot it didn't even detect the drive there
    and can I send it back to komplett this early or do I have to wait till its funny ruined?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Cause on boot it didn't even detect the drive there
    You dont detect any hard drive on power up? or you dont detect one of them? ... are they on the same cable?

If you dont know which one is making the noise just disconnect one of them (the one without the OS on it) .....

Normally any unusual noise like that is bad ... I'd say identify the suspect drive and get it replaced with your warranty ... I hope you have enough space on the other drive to take the data from the failing drive:eek:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I disconnected the second drive
    and left the master one, and after the smos screen, al it shows is about half the screen filled with "01"
    Maybe this could be because I have linux on the second drive and lilo...
    So I was left with plugging the second drive back in, but I think it is my primary drive as the my other secondary drive is full of iso's there is no installed programs on it, and the computer sometimes starts to freeze when ie and irc is opene and I get the blue screen memory dump..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Not long ago I had the same problem, -after the pc died, I dicovered it was the cpu fan all along...... the power supply fan had been gone prolly for a good while before that!! :mad:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I can see the cpu fan, power fan, and 2 system fans running perfectly.
    cpu temp is 46
    cpu is 35 c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html

And download the 'Seatools Desktop'.

Then you can do a step-by-step creation of a small OS on a floppy, that'll do full diagnostics to determine if your Seagate drive is working. If you leave the seagate drive plugged in, it'll also let you do some basic checks on the other drive.

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp

Western Digital also have their own diagnostic tools for their drives, but they seem to run from within another OS......

http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm

The Maxtor Powermax tool is similar to the seagate one, except you can run it on any drive, maxtor or not.

:)

Now, you can reinstall windows if you like.

But first, boot up Linux, and make yourself a boot disk.

Then boot into Windows, go into dos, and type

fdisk /mbr

If you reboot, it'll then go straight into Windows, allowing you disconnect your other drive without a screen full of 1's and 0's.

Do whatever checks you'd like, and even reinstall windows if you want. :)

To get your Linux menu back, reconnect both drives as they were, use the boot disk to get into linux, at the shell (as root), just type
    lilo

TBH, it sounds like your drive is shagged. It's definitely still under warranty, so I wouldn't worry too much.

:)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the links seamus.
    Windows is set as the default loading os on lilo...

seamus, reading on the Maxtor file program I see this
    ! WARNING !: ALL DATA WILL BE LOST WHEN PERFORMING THE LOW LEVEL FORMAT QUICK OR FULL OPTIONS. Maxtor recommends that users backup any/all critical data and removing other hard drives before performing this test.
    System Boot and Test Initialization

Does this mean that in order to use this util program that it will format my drives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Tripkipke

If you don't want to dormat it you could just do a scan.
    there is an util on the gateway website called gwscan that does the trick just fine. after the scan you'll get a code, if the code is 0000 everything is fine, anything else is bad.
    gwscan doesn't erase your data (unless you choose to)

I'll check that one out, thanks
    Says its only for gateway drives but I'll give it a shot :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Tripkipke

it says that yes but gateway uses western digital drives :)
    and for all i know it worked fine on any type of IDE driver i tried (does not work on SCSI)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Lenny
    Does this mean that in order to use this util program that it will format my drives?

Heh, no that got me too.

It'll only format your drive if you ask it to do a low-level format.

None of the scans will damage your data. All that other garbage is just disclaimers :)

Advertisement