Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Finance - Who's best and cheapest?

Options
  • 06-06-2003 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

I want to borrow about €18,000.

9.3% - 9.6% seems to be the standard range. Though BofI offer 1% less if you arrange the loan on the phone. Don't ask me why!

Either way, it's staggeringly above the new base rate of 2%!

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I suggest you ask the motoring issues gurus in the MIJAG forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Don't think so. Looks like it's strictly about insurance.

Purchasing a car comes under the broad remit of Finance, wouldn't you say? ;-)

Thanks anyway.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

When I got my car loan this year I checked all the rates on the banks website. I then rang AIB (currently had a car loan with them + all my banking - but not for much longer... ehm.. back on topic). AIB gave me a different rate (can't remember % off hand) which bet all the other banks.

My advice - do your homework then ring around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

Permanent TSB has currently a rate for personal Loans of 8.6 %. You get this aret for every loan over 9000 Euro.

Cheers,
    Daniel

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

GE Captial Woodchester

They do a lot of car financing.

www.gecapital.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Personally, I'd stay away from loans from the finance houses [woodchester etc.] & stick with banks/building societies/credit unions. They tend to be a lot more flexible in their terms and the interest rates appear to be lower!!

My sis bought a car on credit from 1 of the big finance houses, but the repayments [due to the higher interest rate] killed off all her money. In the end, she got a loan from the credit union to cover the finance loan, with a lower interest rate & she was able to pay it back early ... with no early payback penalty !!

Advertisement