Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macro??

Options
  • 06-06-2003 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

i use a software in work where i can run reports,

i usually save it then as an excel spreadsheet, after this i change it around so it looks how i want,

is it possible to do something, a macro or something, to make it save in the format i want automatically?????

and if so, is this hard to do??? considering i know nothing about whatever languages needed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Yes it is possible to use a macro and you don't need to know any programming.

Before you format the data in Excel go to

Tools>Macro>Record New Macro ...

Give the macro a name and click on Ok. This will open the macro toolbar. Go ahead as you normally would and when you've finished formating just click on the Stop button on the toolbar. Ba-boom tish! You have your macro.

The macro is coded in Visual Basic for Applications so go to Tools>Macro>Visual Basic Editor to see the code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭blahblah

ok thanks,

i did that and recorded the macro, but the next time i saved the report in excel, it saved in the same format, so i tried to find the macro then but couldnt and the shortcut key i'd set didnt work,

any ideas how the macro works once created?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Alt + F8 should open the macro window (Excel 2000 anyway), just select the macro and run it. Let us know how you get on.

thanks for the response,

my problem now is,
    i can record the macro ok,

but then when i want to save the next reoprt as an excel file, i have to replace the old one, and this creates a new file as such in which the macro is gone!

so im snookered yeah?

ive got it i think,

i append the file rather than replace it and it pulls in the new info,

hopefully itll work out,

thanks for the help

• Advertisement

no its doesnt work actually,

i thought it did cause i was testing it with the same report so the data was the same and it kept the format,

now the report has slightly different data,

and when i save it, and enable macros on opening the excel sheet,it has the format but its the old data from when i created the macro, so thats the same as just saving it in the format i changed it too,

so im back to square one today

Advertisement