Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drawing (Technical Graphics) through Irish

Options
  • 06-06-2003 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

Is it possible to change the language you sit an exam through at this stage? I'm thinking of doing my Drawing through Irish as there are no words involved! Except the questions are in Irish!

But, the questions don't normally change and you are more often than not asked to do the same thing for Q1, 2, 3...

Anyone doing Drawing through Irish? What's it like? I'm doing Ordinary Level by the way!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

hmmm wat about the CAD question? is it on the ordinary paper?
    and do your really wan to ahev to remember things likie PLAN, ELEVATION, END VIEW rahter than concentrating on the actual TD?

im doin honours and i think id just stick to English!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I dont think you can pick and choose what subjects you do in irish, I think its all or none.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by PHB
    I dont think you can pick and choose what subjects you do in irish, I think its all or none.

Yep, iirc.

Otherwise everyone would do the same for subjects with little writing in them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Shane

No! A friend of mine is doing just french through Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭wiensta

jees man id have 2nd thoughts about that one.

sure you might end up with a marginally higher grade, but if there's one word you dont understand on the paper (and if you look at the exam papers, each word is as important as the last), you could risk losing many, many more marks.

If your good at irish go on ahead, but imo TD is hard enough without the questions being in irish!

• Advertisement

Well then, the problem is they could ask you really icky terms that you havn't a clue abotu in irish, and what if you forget what the **** elevation is in irish but you could have done it in english you'd be kicking yourself.

Higher level french is fine cause there isnt any english on the paper, except for the last part of comprehensions so he better know some irish :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

bah, I can't believe they still offer extra marks for Irish..... the most unfair idea ever..... </rant>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Darth_Jman

Don't think you can change it now.
    Our principal came around to us months ago with forms to fill in regarding what subjects we were doing and one of the options on it was what language we would do each subject through.

I didn't even know there was an Irish tech drw. paper!

You could probably chance it and tick the "Irish" box on the answer paper/folder you put your paper in, because I think by right both (Irish and English) papers should be available to you (thats what a friend of mine is doing for applied maths anyway), although you might just get a piece of paper back with your results saying "Nice try asshole!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

That might work.... notice that there's an Irish bonus marks box on the front of our answerbooks.... it seems to be up to the person correcting to add them...

INGENIOUS!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

Yeah but there's also the chance that you would get a big ásshole corrector who puts ir through to the department who look on it as cheating...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

yeh, it sounds too easy for it to work, they'd have thought of it before, the department isn't that stupid.............

wait a sec......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Originally posted by Funkstard
    the department isn't that stupid.............

Yeah, "Blank Page" ............. It clearly isn't

Come to think of it...

You don't use the answerbook in Drawing, it's a sheet!

Also, there is no Gaeilge version of the paper on their website!

It wouldn't be looked on as cheating would it? All I'd be writing in Irish is Ceist 1, etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

Originally posted by Shane
    It wouldn't be looked on as cheating would it? All I'd be writing in Irish is Ceist 1, etc..

I can see now why you're going to need every point you can get...

Blank page is there for rough work as you have to hand up every sheet of paper they give you out in the exam, except for the actual paper itself.

Originally posted by PHB
    Blank page is there for rough work as you have to hand up every sheet of paper they give you out in the exam, except for the actual paper itself.

http://www.examinations.ie/papers/cib-ec.html : Rule 13(a)

"13. A candidate
    (a) Shall not write on the examination paper... "

And our Superintendant checks if anything is written on the paper and if there is she makes you put it in the answerbook.

I said it in jest, I only find it funny that it says "Blank Page" and it's not blank. On some other stuff you see "Page intentionally left blank". I can just imagine people all over the country coming out after saying "Could you do that blank page bit...I must of been out when we done that" :D :ninja: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

If you do the paper in irish you also get a copy of it in english, the bonus is differnet for every subject. Afaik for science subjects and other subjects where alot of writing is required its 10% of your mark up to 70%, but for things like tech graph it would be minimal. I don't know what a tech graph exam paper looks like, but if there is any written question involved and you use over 8 words of english in it the bonus is negated.

The above is all based upon my experience of doing the junior cert in irish.

Thats a bit stupid.

I cover my english comprehensions in notes and underline loadsa stuff, and the examiner didnt check it at all.

Originally posted by PHB
    Thats a bit stupid.

I cover my english comprehensions in notes and underline loadsa stuff, and the examiner didnt check it at all.

"...except where a candidate uses a highlighter pen or underlining as an aid to interpreting the question paper."

But notes are a no, no. But i don't think it matters really, I thinks it's just 'cause our superintendant is a weapon. We havn't started on time once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

it's funny when it says blank page

Advertisement