Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Wanted - Network Installation

Options
  • 06-06-2003 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm putting in a structured cabling network for a local school and was looking for a few tips. More or less a charity case so budget is crucial, but I want it to be a decent setup in the end.

I'm thinking along the lines of CAT5E cable connected to double outlet sockets and terminated in a 48 port patch panel.
    Was also thinking of a 48port 100/1000mb switch to match.
    Have located good sources for that much but was wondering what tips you would have on selection of a 19in rack to house the patch panel and switch?

I was thinking that I should get one that has at least room for 5 items, ie
    1 for patch panel
    1 for switch
    1 for router or whatever else I stick in
    2 spare for future expansion

If anyone has any tips / advice I'd be delighted to hear it.
    TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Dont know if this is any good to you, but I say some cheepie housing in B&Q the other day. Might not be what ya want at all but I think they look the cheese!

http://www.diy.com/bq/category/category.jhtml?CATID=92657

Not sure what its like price wise but it seems ok, could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Looks like it'd do the job all right.

Had a look at the price of switches & I think I'll have to rethink the gigabit option & stick with 10/100 - gigabit switches still cost a fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You dont need Gigabit, its really only beneficial for backbones and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazooka

to be honest with any kind of proper structured cabling you should invest in a proper rack, allowing for proper shelving and power distribution

i can get you a racks in 18u, 24u, 27u, 34u etc...becuase its for a school i will give it at cost...drop me a pm (Private message) if you want pricing...

also have some great switches if you are looking...

Advertisement