Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[article] EU agrees US extradition deal

Options
  • 06-06-2003 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2968626.stm

I'm not particually happy about this although the final paragraph says they can refuse extradition on the grounds they would not be given a fair trial which I'm happy with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

And you trust our government to stand up for your rights then, do you hobbes?
    If so, can I have your boots when they haul you away? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

The European human rights groups do have a point; the death penalty has largely been eradicated in Europe (except for High Treason in England, attacking the President in France and so on) so why should a European national face the death penalty?

One question though, if a European national murdered a US national on European soil, would he/she be extradited for the crime? If not, then I am safe anyway because I don't intend to set foot in America again until....well we'll leave that for another thread eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd figure you'd be arrested for commiting the murder anyway, you havnt commited a crime againist the US, you've commited a crime againist the state your in.

I'd be interested in knowing what the exact definition of a "fair trial" is.
    I wonder does it include americas military trial system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

It bloody well better not include the farce of the military tribunals set up for the Taliban and Al Quaeda prisoners were the only course of appeal is effectively then same man wielding the charge - ol GWB!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by PHB
    I'd be interested in knowing what the exact definition of a "fair trial" is.
    I wonder does it include americas military trial system?

My immediate impression was that it is more about "fair process" than "fair trial".

Around the world today, we have nations lining up "terrorist suspects" to be shipped off to the US - some/many of whom are brought to Guantanamo.

Some people undoubtedly still believe that there is nothing wrong with Guantanamo. Of course, most of those defended it along the grounds of "the people there are all clearly guilty" which we have already seen isnt true - people have been released without charge.

The other general apology for Guantanamo is that its "a necessary evil". You know...we fight against the atrocities in the world....except the ones we feel we need to commit ourselves which we just label differently....that approach.....

Anyway...getting back on track....I see the EU stance as giving them the ability to say "no, you cant have this person if you want to send them to Guantanamo".

No lawyer, no representation, questions over human rights, murder, torture.....

"Fair trial" is the least of the problems there. Fair process is lacking in its entirety.

In the end though, I think the EU have shot themselves in the foot, because this doesnt appear to be a bilateral agreement. They should have insisted that the exact same deal with the exact same conditions apply for extraditing from the US to answer EU charges.

jc

• Advertisement
Advertisement