Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buckfast

• 06-06-2003 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭

I love the sweet taste of buckfast as it makes me drunk and full of caffien (don't know how to spell it). I'm just wondering how many other people like it.

Would anyone else like to see it served in pubs as a glass/shot not really sure how'd you do it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

There's Caffiene in Buckfast??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭MAC_E

Ive known pubs that would keep a bottle of it behind the counter. It would have been used more as a sipping drink by the older cliental, as compared to the way myself or I presume yourself indulge in it.
    Its a magic drink all the same and is a good kickstart to any night on the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

buckfast - does that make you into a raving mentalist ??

we used to drink a cider called merrydown, it was just plain dangerous. Fights happened 8 out of 10 times it was drunk,

crazy juice............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Buckfast is the mother's milk, it is mana from heaven, it is the one final solution to the soberity question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

forgive my ignorance but... what is buckfast?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Iv lived in county Armagh. The bucky is evil !!!!!!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

Bucky is indeed the drink of the devil...that's why we re-named it "F uckedfast"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭patch

Buckfast...... tis actually alter-wine, as used by your friendly local priest.

Also, the reason it drives ya gaga, is because it containd traces of speed*, hence knocking back a bottle of it drives one gaga.

*May well have no basis in reality :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 trunks

if you leave it in the open air long enuf (3 days ++ depending on the weather ) it congeals

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by patch69
    Buckfast...... tis actually alter-wine, as used by your friendly local priest.
    No, it's not, see below.
    Originally posted by Snowball
    forgive my ignorance but... what is buckfast?
    It's actually fortified wine. Would be closer to sherry than normal wine.
    The recipe for the wine was sent to Buckfast in 1897 by the nephew of one of the original French monks. It used a fortified base wine from Spain, to which macerated maté tea, coca leaves and vanilla had been added. The Tonic was sold at the Abbey as medicinal wine, with the directions on the label: "Three small glasses per day"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

What about the wonderful Buckfast cocktails like the Vuckfast (BF & vodka) or the Velvet Elvis (BF & champagne)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

the best ever bucky cocktails are ciderbuck [bucky and cider]
    and the legendary buck-wild, which involves getting a sink or a bucket, cleaning it. inserting eight bottles of bucky four flagons of cider six cans of redbull a bottle of seven up to taste and a lot of crushed ice, garnish with fresh mint. great for a barbecue, juist dip in a pint glass...

mmmm buckfast if you like drum and bass and wish to listen to the sound of a wellknown uk dj discovering the taste of buckfast then go to www.inperspective.co.uk and download the technicality in dublin mp3's...

buckfast.... good for what ails ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭blahblah

for a cheaper buckfast go to LIDL
    and buy nobleman fortified wine, full cream (though the medium is nicer)

its only 3.75 a bottle and tastes similiar with same effects (ish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

oh lordy but is it not the most disgusting type of drink on the planet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It's pleasent enough, but I wouldn't drink a bottle of it. That's for people who just want to get drunk. I reckon it's only popular because it tastes nicer than Dutch gold...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by commuterised
    oh lordy but is it not the most disgusting type of drink on the planet?

That's exactly what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭blahblah

it doesnt taste nicer than dutch gold,

well one is a beer and one is a fortified wine,

actually i drink carlsberg always in the pub and always have done, i love it, but.....

if given a choice between a free can of DG or a free can of carlsberg then id take the dutch, its lovely!!!!

obviously you would buy the nobleman to drink it all as a starter, you couldnt be that poor in which youd have to buy it for taste!! in which case you shouldnt be wasting your money on booze!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

"One glass three times a day" - says on the label.

I like the taste. Crazy juice is rigth though. Tendency to find the alcohol wears off after a while leaving me extremely tense and sleepless from the caffeine. get a nice feeling from it at first though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I HATE the stuff....I cant even look at the bottle any more, its sooo....syrupy and thick..ewww

its FULL of additives etc , I cant even look at the bottle any more, friends drink 2 bottles or more a night and go mad *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

It drives you more than a little mad and it's pretty popular with the "C'MON PADDY LETS GET A FEW CANS AND HEAD INTO THIS BUSH HAER" crowd. I don't really like wine and the bottle says it's a tonic wine so I don't usually drink it but I have drank a couple of bottles before and it gives you an impressive energy boost. :) Some people it just drives crazy though and they just go starting fights/vandalising things for the hell of it etc. As for it containing traces of speed.. that's complete BS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

buckfast or "bo" as its known as is best drink around.. bottle every night i've went out for the last 2 years.

no job for the summer though so im gettin onto that nobleman game cause its as gypsy as ya can get.. slightly stronger (15%) than buckfast aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

nosmo wrote:
    There's Caffiene in Buckfast??

No! Im pretty sure there isin't anyway. Its a tonic wine!

Buckfast is mental... it doesn't just get you drunk its like some kinda outter body experience.... you get the munchies and want some toast but you don't make toast you end up putting on some washing (drunkingly) or something completely unrelated.

Its actually made by monks. You can actually take tours of the place!: the website is:

www.buckfast.org.uk

And by far the best number is a num 5... whats yer fav num bucky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Used to drink the stuff every weekend for ages then one morning woke up and after a good old fashioned bucky and cider induced bout of pain ;) decided I would drink the stuff no more. Cant even stand the smell of it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

@Easily_Irritate(d)

The number thing is a joke, seasoned drinkers will tell you that it is the quantity not the quality that counts.

Number 5 my arse, bottle 5 - then your talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

@Easily_Irritate(d)

The number thing is a joke, seasoned drinkers will tell you that it is the quantity not the quality that counts.

Number 5 my arse, bottle 5 - then your talking.

i think many will debate this with you.
    i used to work in an offie and was trained in the "numbering" of buckie by those so called "seasoned drinkers"
    much more demand for specific numbers than one may think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Well when I was a wee lad we did search out that elusive five, seven also figured but as I grew older and 'wiser' it was dismissed as pure rumour.

I acknowledge that many still do want a specific number but you'll be hard pressed to really tell the difference. Which is my point I guess.

/cracks open a can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

it's pretty popular with the "C'MON PADDY LETS GET A FEW CANS AND HEAD INTO THIS BUSH HAER" crowd
    Ah yes. I refer to them as the Linden Village Appreciation Society. Or Stripey Baggers. That's after college in Carlow.

At the same time, I was doing my post-grad down their along with another chap and he recanted many a tale of Buckfast to me so we tried it one night. Only the offo didn't have any so we settled for this stuff called Sanatogen:
    Sanatogen_Original_70cl.jpg
    No. Not the tablet vitamin thing advertised in the 80's. This was a similar thing to BF. Kind of like a tonic. Anyway. Since then (about 10 years ago) I have vowed never to go near it or any of its ilk since then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

We used to drink Amozo sherry and Linden Village cider,get on our bikes and go looking for 'action'!One particular night,i ran a red light coming down a hill and got run over by a bloke in a van.Didnt feel a thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

the best ever bucky cocktails are ciderbuck [bucky and cider]
    and the legendary buck-wild, which involves getting a sink or a bucket, cleaning it. inserting eight bottles of bucky four flagons of cider six cans of redbull a bottle of seven up to taste and a lot of crushed ice, garnish with fresh mint. great for a barbecue, juist dip in a pint glass...

buckfast.... good for what ails ya!

Sounds like it might actually work!
    mental note: remember this recipe

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Did buckfast and paddy once. Ran the whole way to DCU from Drumcondra and proceeeded to be a very messy boy.

Advertisement