Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eve Of Destruction ...

Options
  • 06-06-2003 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭

thumb_1.jpg

Good, no. Bloody great news! Eve Of Destruction, is now on its way to its public release. Its a cuple of hours away and there uploading it to the server now and are also looking for mirrors. Its just over 100MB so ill be looking forwars to another hugh 56k download ;) ... some problems with this release are:
    • Not Supported: Linux Servers (it will work but we have seen some wierd bugs)
    • Not Supported: Single Player
    • Not Supported: Every Battlefield map (only ones with the EoD icon will work)
    • Probably no 1.4 support yet, we try to make it as soon as possible when see when 1.4 is out
    • First person weapon models need to be finished, we currently use the 3rd person weapons which looks not that good in your hands. Next patch will hopefully contain them along with the CH-47 and the C-130.

EOD team continue to say though that this is still only a demo and is only 10% of what they hope to achieve. Find out more on the
    official EOD website or on their Alpha release homepage

Hill937c_t.gif Hill937d_t.gif Hill937b_t.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Looking forward to this when are they finished uploading to the server, ill leave me connection on all night

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Ill grab this one overnight methinks, hopefully it will end up pretty good :)

Cheers winters, that will keep my ISDN busy tonight :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive been playing the past 2 hours and it seemed very good .
    The plane and chopper models make it feel very authentic ,it felt like a Vietnam movie.i love the engineers rifle finally an acurate non-sniper rifle with decent rate of fire.
    This mod simply laughs in the face of Vietcong.From what ive played maps are nice, sounds are really good and the whole thing feels like a total new game IMO.
    Thumbs up from me ,cant wait till theres more servers running it.

• Advertisement

Anyone wanna stick that fine piece of gaming on a disk for me if i send ye up a disk, plus enemy trritory if anyone has it

Regards

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by shinzon
    Anyone wanna stick that fine piece of gaming on a disk for me if i send ye up a disk, plus enemy trritory if anyone has it

Regards

Shin

yea, me too... ive another 9 or 10 hours of downloading to do and its not gonna be fun, though it is worth every second :)

Any offers for posting us 56k'ers the mod?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah i can guys ,maybe i can make it to 100 discs sent to folk for various stuff including mods for BF,HL and Racing sims.
    Guys im gonna have to ask for a disc as ive gone through an 80 pack of discs i only used 5 for myself,im such a nice guy :)
    I have enemy trrritory also so i can put the lot on for you guys ,do you want Day of Defeat version 1.0 also?Desert Combat 0.35 if you dont have already.Id prefer to fill up a disc than just stick on 145 mb EOD.
    PM me or reply here give me ur details ill get disc off to you and maybe you can send me one back.
    I wouldnt ask for disc guys but 75 outta 80 is a lot of discs .

thx m8

Pm sent

shin

Played through all the maps on LAN there just takin a look at everything, looks pretty damn good, MUCH more focus on infantry combat instead of tanks. Allies only have tanks on 1 or 2 of the new maps, and almost all the default maps dont work yet. That gun boat is pretty damn cool, I heard its pretty lightly armoured tho.

I havent got around to playing it on-line tho, my bro is downloading lots of UT2k3 stuff, when thats done Ill definately be giving it a shot.

• Advertisement

Goetterfunke, of the EOD team, has informed us that there will be a patch for the EOD 10% demo soon, probably within the next 4 or 5 days. Heres a few things that will be fixed in the patch, which will be called 11%:
    • Hueys get 50% more hitpoints
    • One Mig 17 removed from Charly Doesn't Surf map
    • Floating objects fix
    • More... [yet to be decided]

oh yes, and more... im now at 67% :)

Also for you all, the EOD team have given a huey flying guide. You can find it below or on there site here . It explains how to take off best and also hover. I know from talking to the EOD team that the huey is suppose to be a lot easier to hover then the choppers in DC, ill be able to tell you now once this download is done.
    Flying the huey - from EOD

Short description/tutorial on Dawdlers flight code (written by yours truly)

"Fly with the left brain half, think with the right brain half, shoot with the balls."

Lesson 1 - Getting the bird in the air
    Taking off in a helicopter is a messy affair. So the simplified way is to simply push the throttle up. And off she goes! But theres more. Due to your enourmously small patience, you are always on the edge off taking as soon as you enter the helicopter. To stabilize it on the ground push throttle down.
    Failure to do either (throttle up or down) is likely to make you end up beneath the helicopter, and soon there after in a wooden box. Trying to do fancy roll manouvers on the ground is likely to have the same effect, so dont do that.
    To do a start-hover, climb immiedtly just a meter to get the skids off the ground, and then keep it steady there (see lesson 2 for hover)

Lesson 2 - Hoooooooooooooooovering
    To hover is easy. Just release all controls and the little pilot that is in everybodys head will take control. The helicopter will hover... But this hover is not above the rules of aerodynamics. You need the view in the exact horizon line to maintain a steady hover. The slightest deviation will make you loose height and you need to adjust the throttle using the keys. To move up and down in the hover, just use the throttle up/down keys.
    - Flying... Then hovering
    Flying along at max speed (nose down, throttle max, no loss in altitude) and then wanting to stop to a hover is an easy manouvre. Just level out and apply zero throttle in any direction (just let go in other words)! Slow down (controller back) a little, and you will eventually hover. Perform small height adjustments with the throttle if you loose/gain to much altitude. Eventually you will have a perfect hover.

Lesson 3 - Yawing the beast
    Side yaw is controlled by the yaw keys, left and right respectivly.
    But there is more to yaw than just yawing whenever you wish! The more speed you have, the less sideways yaw effiency you will have. At such high speeds you need to roll the helicopter (standard roll control, mouse/joystick) in the appropriate direction to actually turn. This roll-yaw is however so effective, you dont even need to push the yaw keys, just roll and the nose will follow (may not be immieditly, its good to "help it along" with the yaw keys). Roll-yaw is always in effect, you can do this at low speeds too. But rolling will mean a loss in altitude too, so keep your eye on the ground.
    Hovering, then slowly rolling to the side will line you up for a good speed gain if you want to get away fast. Of course, the actual rolling part takes time, sideways yawing might be faster.
    Always keep in mind that any movement will cause a loss in altitude.
    Important for good flight -> Note that the little pilot in you head will stabilize the yaw if held down for short periods of time, meaning it wont continue to drift. HOWEVER with longtime yawing, you will not stabilize! You can do a controlled spin this way (or uncontrolled if you wish). It will eventually slow down, but its not anything I advise to wait for.
    - Going sideways, overriding the roll-yaw
    To go sideways, you need to roll to the side. Easy enough? No, it will soon point the nose to that direction... So to go sideways, you need to constantly adjust the roll with the yaw keys in the appropriate direction, overriding the roll yaw. A helicopter is not designed to go sideways for long periods of time (they tend to end up on the ground one way or the other).

Lesson 4 - Just flying along...
    Performing a steady flight is rather easy. Just push the throttle and roll in the direction you want to go, keeping the nose down just enough to gain that steady altitude. There is no need to use the sideways yaw keys unless you need a fast yaw, which isnt much faster anyway.
    To slow down, just pull controller down.

Lesson 5 - Just flying along... A bit slower
    Flying at slow speed is vital (slow speed meaning basicly anything below max speed) for flying a helicopter! This is where you have the most manouverability, the slower the speed, the greater the manouverability. Now, slow speed flying is not that hard. Not many taps are needed to keep it steady since the hover is always around the corner... If you forget to tap, you wont drop like a stone (depending on angle) so its very forgiving. Just keep the angle small (helicopter relativly flat in the air). Slow speed flying is something one have to practice before trying to do so when 20 enemies on the ground aim at you.

Lesson 6 - LAND DAMN YOU!!
    Landing is a rather easy matter in theory. Let go of the throttle and level out (see hovering). Bleed some speed, and push the throttle down to loose altitude. Letting go will make the descent slower (and eventually a new hover), just continue to tap down. When you touch ground, continue hold down! This is important! Otherwise you helicopter wont stabilize it self on the ground and you might end up upside down.

Lesson 7 - Going on the attack
    Always keep controll on the helicopter, utilizing slow speed flight for increased manouverability. Always aim missiles away from self. Keep in mind a helicopter is not necesarily a single seater, the Huey gunship Flex machinguns (the big 2x2 machinguns on the side by the missile pods) will require a co-pilot to controll. The Huey door machineguns will require passengers to controll. Never leave a man behind.

THE BEST ADVISE FOR FLYING A HELICOPTER:
    Experiment. Start a local game and simply fly the thing. Do manouvers, hover, learn the flight style, learn how to land and learn how to not crash doing so. Perform high speed flights and low speed flights. THEN join a multiplayer server. You only need 10 minutes...

I am just back from playing around on-line with it, what a game! the lack of viechles makes for some great combat, about 25-30man servers seem about right, played on a 60man for a while, the lag is insane but it feels great to see people EVERYWHERE, your screen is flooded with fellow team mates.

That flying guide seems pretty good, gonna try hover on a LAN later, but what a game, when they get the models etc all fixed up proper and the tid bits done, this will be a great piece of competition for DC.

Its finished! after 14hours 7min 53seconds EOD has finished downloading and ive now got it installed. I am off to play :D

[Edit]Allright, well worth all 50873 seconds of download. The huey's do take some time getting used to though, you cant really use the rudder as much as in DC. The boats are cool, lots of guns all over the place.. pity the NVA dont have their own boats yet .. give em like logs or something, would be cool. [/Edit]

ANyone know if they plan to impliment AI into it yet?

Full list of EOD 11% fixes
    • Hueys get 70% more hitpoints and little more agility/speed
    • One Mig 17 removed from Charly doesn't surf map
    • Floating objects fix
    • maybe CH47 on Que Son Valley !!
    • BTR crash fix
    • APCs more resistant against MG's
    • Support class gets kind of medic funtion
    • Remington now less effective on distance and force-feedback crosshairs
    • PPsh-41 less accurate in prone position
    • Pistols have less fire-recoil
    • Second carrier on Tonkin map to disperse the base raping and reduce the takeoff chaos (...No, you can't take off when another plane is standing right in front of you)
    • Huey blades turn faster now
    • Easier to kill troops with Huey M60's now
    • Weapon smoke FX now less performance lagging and better looking - hey that's 2 in one

Im not too sure about AI. The DC team only finally got AI on their 73 Easting map last week or so. EA/Dice arnt giving any help with coding or SDK or anything so its up to the teams to do it themselves. I dont know if there are any plans to get AI on the BF maps working we can only hope... damn 56k modem :(

Thx to Dcully got my grubby hands on EOD today and have been playing it ever since, a few observations

1) im not sure about some of the maps, it seems there over before they start

2) laughed myself silly when i tried the huey the first time, damn bugger just wouldnt take off, finally figured ye have to swing her sideways off the carrier, she dont go straight up lol

3) if this is just 10% of what the full things gonna be then i cant wait for it to come out

4) I was wondering why half the trees were hanging in mid air, will be fixed by patch of course.

But its a damn good mod, anything that gets me off DC is worthy of everyones attention believe me

Regards
    Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Didn't work for me :(. Goes back to desktop while loading.

Originally posted by [-=RaVeN=-]
    Didn't work for me :(. Goes back to desktop while loading.
    Easy to fix:

Create a shortcut on your desktop for BF1942, then simple so:

right click --> properties

And in the 'target' line add in
    +game EOD

My final target line looks like:
    "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\BF1942.exe" +game EOD

And that will boot you straight into EoD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

No i mean when loading a level it boots me back to desktop.

EOD does not support Single Player or CO-OP modes at the moment so if you start a game in either of these it will not run. You can only play the maps which have the EOD icon serverInfo.jpg will run so just about all the regular Battlefield maps dont work with it. :(

• Advertisement

EOD 11% demo is released! Some important notes though:
    - WAKE ISLAND does not work (it crashes)!!!
    - No Singleplayer Support
    - Delete old EoD version before installing the new
    - Medpack does not work

Its another full download as they changed to much to make a 10% -> 11% update (curses!) Links and mirrors below :)
    • Hueys get 70% more hitpoints and little more agility/speed
    • You have been waiting for this: fixed weapon reload animations
    • One new map by Nefilim (who already made the Que Son valley)
    • One new map by Dan (who already made Hill 937)
    • Definitley CH47 Helicopter on Que Son Valley !!
    • Camera position of gunner in Type63 AA tank adjusted
    • One Mig 17 removed from Charly doesn't surf map
    • Floating objects fix
    • BTR crash fix
    • APCs more resistant against MG's
    • Support class gets kind of medic funtion (not like the BF medic)
    • Remington now less effective on distance and force-feedback crosshairs
    • PPsh-41 less accurate in prone position
    • Pistols have less fire-recoil
    • Sharks added to Tonkin that eat every swimming flag camper
    • Huey blades turn faster now
    • Easier to kill troops with Huey M60's now
    • Weapon smoke FX now less performance lagging and better looking - hey that's 2 in one
    • And improved 1st person gun model views (not the final ones though)
    • Ammoboxes on Closefire changed -> less grenadespamming
    • Closefire missing and wrong shadows fixed

11% Mirrors
    Bad news yes... it is 183.96MB so thats another what 16hours of my life taken from me...

Updated with more mirrors, inactive ones removed

Nearly had a heart attack when i saw it was 188 megs

Curses

Shin

If you dont like that shinzon you wont believe this, EOD 12% will be released sometime today. Goetterfunke says it will be a small 2mb or so download so yea for us :) ... heres a list of its fixes:
    • Huey sound fix
    • Medipack working
    • More migs spawn on Tonkin Air
    • 360° up/down Infantry view from 1.4
    • AK47 and M16 are slightly stronger
    • Some AA on Charly doesnt surf removed
    • loading times faster

And I havent even started the 11% download yet :(

2 megs now were talking lol, im getting dcully to dl it for me, which hes graciously said hed do for me, thank god, im just wondering are they gonna release the enitire game in increments, coming to a pc near you soon 12% 13%14% 15% ETC ETC ETC

Wish that theyll stop after this update and work on it for awhile before they release the next version of this

Regards

Shin

Im 33% through EOD 11% and its been running for just under 6 hours and is at the 59/60 mb mark... you gotta love dial up :(

Originally posted by Winters
    Im 33% through EOD 11% and its been running for just under 6 hours and is at the 59/60 mb mark... you gotta love dial up :(
    Jeez what speec are you getting on that? looks about 3.5k/sec, bad choice of mirror by the look of it.

The 12% eod patch is out, its only 1 meg in size and you can get it now from the eod site, thank god nothing else will be released till the 20% huge update coming soon

Regards

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

I downloaded 11% and played for the best part of 20 minutes, got bored. Really don't think its all that tbh..

56k and bored with EOD because there is no Singler Player? EoD Target Practice 12%a was released by "NecronoM", a MiNi-mod for EOD it gives single player support to all existing BF maps. It does require EOD 12% to run though, dont forget that :)

Feature list 12%A:
    • All original BF1942 maps have EOD vehicles and weapons
    • bots work in all original BF1942 maps
    • only coop mode has been tested on all maps, other modes should work but there is no guarantee!
    Known bugs:
    • migs don't spawn on Midway's airfield
    • bots wont take notice of some vehicles
    • "forcing" your way into a position in the hueys or pbr causes a ctd
    • bots cant fly the huey
    To do list:
    • fix all known bugs (see above)
    • convert coral sea (no bots in this map)
    • convert all RTR maps
    • improve vehicle placement
    • improve bot code

You can find it at:
    [ BF1942files.com ]
    [ Fileplanet.com ]

Its a nice small 1.28mb download too... If anyone has the time to setup a mirror please do. I might try and get one going later if i can find the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

Looks ok, i'd say i'd probably prefer Desert Combat myself really, more fun :)

Advertisement