Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD-burner dunna work

• 06-06-2003 7:17pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

RIght, what do yez think. I have a cd-copier drive, and it wont recognise blank-cds or copied CDs. When I put it in, the drive doesnt make any noise and when I go into my computer the drive is empty. It does however recognise all other types of CD, just not the type I want to fecking use it for. Any suggestions? Is the lenz dirty maybe, if do how do i clean it without having to buy anything. do i need to change drivers? Bear in mind that it worked fine until recently, until this started happenin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

What cd burner is it , make and model.. there may be a series of faults with this type burner..
    ALso have u tried a lens cleaner but i dont think thats ure problem as u can read other cds...
    Also dont think its a driver problem (firmware) but u could try update it anyway m8 as its ****ed anyway so it aint gonna hurt it..

May boil down to being flipped just an old burner and thats that m8...
    Let us know anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

How long do you have it?

Its seems to me that the motor isnt working.
    Is there ever a spinning noise out of it?

It is recognised in the BIOS? Check the data cable.

Its seems to me that the motor isnt working.
    Is there ever a spinning noise out of it?

It is recognised in the BIOS? Check the data cable.

The motor must be working if it works on other cds... the originals i assume m8 and must also be recognised in bios otherwise it wouldnt play the above
    Also wanted to ask is there a spinnin noise when other cds are played

I misread the post I thought it wasn't recognising any cd. Oops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

OK, has anything changed with the computer since it was working properly. If you installed any new hardware, you may have knocked something out. If you installed a new HDD, your jumper settings could be wrong.

If you installed new software, it could be interfering with your drivers (unlikely).

It reconises data cds....but does Windows (which I assume you're using) then show the contents of the CD? Or does it spin up and stop again?

If you put in a music CD, can you play it (if your writer has a play button)?

Basically, two things.

Check your IDE cable is a) seated properly, and b) good (Use another IDE cable to check).

If so, and if your BIOS can detect the writer, reinstall Windows.

After that, your writer is fecked. Replace it.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

it's an IDE-CD R/RW 8x4x32, when i put it it makes the noise it usually does before it starts spinning, the little click noise. But then it just stops. I suppose it's quite old anyway, around 2years. It can read normal music CDs and CDroms fine, but not blank or copied CDs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

That sounds kinda wierd,did u try different makes of cd-r's,ne way if it knackerd i would recommend one of these bad boys,it can burn a full 700MB cd in 3 min.From komplett.

Sony CD recorder IDE 52x24x52x
    (CRX220E1-10) Internal. Bulk

Product Description Sony CRX 220A1 - disk drive - CD-RW - IDE
    Device Type Disk drive - CD-RW
    Optical Storage 1 x CD-RW - 5.25" x 1/2H - internal
    Read Speed 52x
    Write Speed 52x
    CD / DVD Rewrite Speed 24x
    Interface Type IDE
    Buffer Size 2 MB
    Buffer Underrun Protection Power-Burn

E 49.34

CombatCow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

if you're getting a new one (it sounds like your gonna have to)
    get a plextor for quality, yamaha for longevity

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

What about a DVD burner, would it be worth getting one at the moment. Or wait a few months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

you should be able to get a 4 speed dvd burner cheap enough these days, that'd burn a 4.7gb dvd in about 20 mins.
    the majority of them work as cd writers as well, so if you've got the cash to burn & don't mind burning dvd's at that speed, then go for it.

• Advertisement

Hey Appy, why arent you jumping down seamus's throat over the suggestion of the IDE cable or BIOS. You were very quick to point it out to me!

Go read the post again i was only trying to help the bloke out.... not trying to wind u up...

He,s trying to fix a 15 euro cdrw i think all the options have been described already above on how to fix it if its cables/bios or otherwise.. if it cant be resolved there its just banjaxed
    Go buy a new one i feel.. u could pick up a 24x for a little under 50 euro brand new..

Against the rules to troll/or to entice me to flame u back as well.. perhaps u should review them

Advertisement