Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESAT's Anytime Option

Options
  • 06-06-2003 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Talked to Esat to-day after seeing their advert for IOL Anytime. It seems as if you will get 180 Hours for around 30 Euro. It was clear what would happen if you went over the 180 hours.

M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

There used to be a video library in Finglas village called "24 Hour Video". In a strange move for an ostensibly "24 hour" operation, they printed their opening hours on the back of their membership cards.

Last I heard, the owner got a job as product manager in ESAT's residential internet division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Mr_Man
    Talked to Esat to-day after seeing their advert for IOL Anytime. It seems as if you will get 180 Hours for around 30 Euro. It was clear what would happen if you went over the 180 hours.

M.

when does this start?
    will Netsmart 120 customers be moved over automatically?
    what will happen if you go over the 180 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I rang Esat/BT - They said they will be launching the product on the 27th but had no other details.

It looks as if, the 27th will be D Day for a better deal for internet users in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

Thats a pretty paltry offering in comparison with UTVip. However, it does have the advantage of not forcing a telephony package down your throat. Which is why I'll probably have to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭kevinmcc

But IOL have yet to finalise their package they told me on the phone today so the package could be better than what was posted above.

• Advertisement

But IOL have yet to finalise their package they told me on the phone today so the package could be better than what was posted above.

Let's hope so, eh? Let's also hope UTV allow for users to opt-out of telephony with their package.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by Nuphor
    Let's hope so, eh? Let's also hope UTV allow for users to opt-out of telephony with their package.

i agree totally hope scott is reading all these anti telephony package threads, i personally dont want to be forced to take a telephony package that i dont want or particularly need with my internet signup

regrads
    shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by shinzon
    i agree totally hope scott is reading all these anti telephony package threads, i personally dont want to be forced to take a telephony package that i dont want or particularly need with my internet signup

regrads
    shin
    Yes, but, um who does cheaper vcalls than UTV anyway? What are the disadvantages?

Originally posted by Jorinn
    Yes, but, um who does cheaper vcalls than UTV anyway? What are the disadvantages?

there is none i just dont particularly want there telephone package, personal choice

regards

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Afaik Esat are cheaper than UTV for most of the various tariffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

they could simply offer a cheaper product to people who are going to sign up with their phone package as well, or a more expensive one for people who don't want it.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

there is none i just dont particularly want there telephone package, personal choice
    Um?

I remain a little bewildered by this.

Why did so many of us jump on the UTVi bandwagon in the first place? To save a fortune on 'net access costs, obviously. So, what's the problem with being forced to save money on phone calls as well?

I grant you that it's your personal choice; it's entirely your choice what ISP/voice carrier/pizza place/whatever you want to go with, but I'm simply puzzled at what seems to be a surprisingly widespread attitude to the telephony package.

FWIW, after a few minor teething problems early on, the only difference I notice in voice calls now comes in the bill once a month.

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    Um?

Why did so many of us jump on the UTVi bandwagon in the first place? To save a fortune on 'net access costs, obviously. So, what's the problem with being forced to save money on phone calls as well?

I grant you that it's your personal choice; it's entirely your choice what ISP/voice carrier/pizza place/whatever you want to go with, but I'm simply puzzled at what seems to be a surprisingly widespread attitude to the telephony package.

FWIW, after a few minor teething problems early on, the only difference I notice in voice calls now comes in the bill once a month.

i just dont like that as a requirement for the internet service you have to sign up for there telephony package, id prefer the choice rather than the demand of signing up for it.

just me

Regards
    Shin

Um?

The main problem for me personally is that I, and many other students, don't own the telephone line, and would find it impossible to convince the owners to change providers to UTV. That, coupled with consumer choice, is the reason why many people simply don't want a bundled telephony package as well.

I think that UTV need to absorb any set up call costs into the price of their tarriffs.

Yes, I believe UTV need to offer their wares as distinct packages. If people want to keep their phone provider and change their interney provider - the choice should be theirs to make.

ESAT have done this with Netsmart. It should not be too difficult for UTVip to follow suit.

I would change over to UTVip tomorrow morning only for this requirement.

Hopefully, their new product will not push people to change their phone provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by Nuphor
    The main problem for me personally is that I, and many other students, don't own the telephone line, and would find it impossible to convince the owners to change providers to UTV. That, coupled with consumer choice, is the reason why many people simply don't want a bundled telephony package as well.

Add to that the amount of people who wouldn't be able to convince their mammies.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Not entirely sure, but I seem to remember something about UTV needing the phone call revenue to make the internet package profitable? That's the only reason it's bundled. When FRIACO comes in, the internet calls on their own will (or should) be profitable enough on their own so they won't need to bundle the phone calls into it. So they probably won't.

Or maybe they will. Either way I don't mind, I'll stick with their phone package even if I don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I wonder what this means for SNL users does the nolimits change from 75 hrs to nolimits :)

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The IOL Anytime advert in the Sunday Independent said approx €1 a day. I dont think we can take any word of the customer care guys for much until coming up to the launch date anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭thecivvie

The IOL Anytime advert in the Sunday Independent said approx €1 a day. I dont think we can take any word of the customer care guys for much until coming up to the launch date anyway.
    I have not seen the advert and there seems to be no mention on the IOL site but did it mention any restrictions on the advert

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

if it said in the paper a euro a day then it should be around 30 euros per month

Got the e-mail from esat regarding the iol anytime option, no details in it just that its released on june 27th and theyll be in contact with me shortly

Consideriing this is my only option at the moment ill be going for it, utv seems to have its telephony package manadatory again, wont be going with eircom for obvious reasons

Regards

Shin

Got the e-mail from esat regarding the iol anytime option, no details in it just that its released on june 27th and theyll be in contact with me shortly

Consideriing this is my only option at the moment ill be going for it, utv seems to have its telephony package manadatory again, wont be going with eircom for obvious reasons

Regards

Shin

This seems to be a serious problem with UTVip.

Advertisement