Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swedes get 26mbit broadband

Options
  • 06-06-2003 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

Found this on The Inquirer.

Swedes get 26Mbit/second broadband

Broadband Britain somewhat behind

By INQUIRER staff: Friday 06 June 2003, 12:00

LUCKY SWEDES look like they're getting a massive 26Mbit/second cable connection using a technology called VDSL.
    Just a few months ago, the same lucky Swedes were getting 2.5Mbit/s ADSL from Bostream and 10Mbit/s from Bredbandbolaget using cable.

And the connection only costs €40 per month.

Makes BT Openworld and NTL's cable service look pretty naff.

Although NTL has dark fibre aplenty running into many London homes, despite a massive advertising campaign offering its cable service, the apparatchiks say some areas will never get cabled up.

Whether this is just inefficiency or for marketing reasons, only Gipsy Rose Lee is likely to know...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Sweden gets 26Mbit Symmetrical VDSL for €54.50 a month which is exactly what Eircom charge you for 0.5Mbit Asymmetrical

The product is called Scream which describes how we feel over here too.

You will note from the link that the price is 398 Krone a month. This translates into €54.50 ONCE you add 25% VAT on top for luck, it is Sweden after all. The price MAY already include VAT , my Swedish is crap, and if it does it only costs €44 a month.

A small snag is that you only get 26000/26000 within 300 metres of the exchange. €54.50 buys a scabby 8000/1000 once you are 1KM or more away, theres me thinking the Swedes were more organised than we are.

To encourage the Rat, I should point out that you can use up your entire 4Gb cap in 20 Minutes . You would then owe Ratty €36 for every 5 Minutes thereafter. Biddy would have to put her dentures in to tell you the total monthly bill.

M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Muck
    Sweden gets 26Mbit Symmetrical VDSL for €54.50 a month which is exactly what Eircom charge you for 0.5Mbit Asymmetrical The product is called Scream which describes how we feel over here too.
    What a perfectly delicious irony!
    A small snag is that you only get 26000/26000 within 300 metres of the exchange. €54.50 buys a scabby 8000/1000 once you are 1KM or more away, theres me thinking the Swedes were more organised than we are.
    Oh poot. How long before they start sticking the DSLAMS in the street cabinets though?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

lad,s where never going to get anything like 26mb untill the year 2579

i swear i stoped looking in this forum as their,s always a post here that nearly makes me cry knowing how fair behind we are :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Oh poot. How long before they start sticking the DSLAMS in the street cabinets though?

Never, ESAT got the Three (3G) Rollout contract . eircom are doing the incredible sulk since.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

i have a friend who has a 10mbit there and is paying less than the 45 euro asked here for a 0.5mbit connex with esat.... thats 20 times the speed for a cheaper price!!!

oh well, such is the life going from the world's most technologically advanced country to one of europe's worst... no offence Ireland, but that that's the truth... plain and simple.

the problem here is that eircom believes that it is too costly to roll out broadband in such a small country with only 3.8 million people, well how is it that Sweden, which is geographically 9 times larger but only 2.5 times the population of Ireland doesn't have the same problems?

oh and the guy with the 10mbit doesn't live in a major town or city either just to clear up anyone who was thinking of suggesting "only available in the cities" theory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

thanks for making my day brighter.

On the other hand we've got slightly cheaper booze :)

not that that stops ye from hopping across the water for soome off-licence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Originally posted by SyxPak

Well you have to have something to cry into....

Originally posted by SyxPak

not that that stops ye from hopping across the water for soome off-licence

actually Ireland is much more expensive drink wise than Sweden since Ireland got the Euro money and inflation went as high as it has become. Four years ago, Sweden was more expensive then Ireland for drink but now it is the other way around.

It is now cheaper to buy yourself a pint of Guiness or Murphy's in a Swedish pub then it is here...

Ireland is now the most expensive country in the world for just about EVERYTHING, but the high price we pay here isn't justified with high quality goods and services :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by naitkris
    the problem here is that eircom believes that it is too costly to roll out broadband in such a small country with only 3.8 million people, well how is it that Sweden, which is geographically 9 times larger but only 2.5 times the population of Ireland doesn't have the same problems?
    I don't believe that Eircom believe that. I think its just that they don't have any competition so why bother - they can make the same money (if not more) without rolling out broadband. Less than a year ago, it was possible to spend hundreds of euros a month on plain dial-up. There are threads on this forum where people quote 100, 200, 300 euros a month.

Some but not all of this will go with FRIACO and this was probably responsible for the recent introduction of the 54 euro RADSL product. But where is the incentive for them to provide more bandwidth? Not only is it 512k but it is 512k at 48:1. And currently, any ISP reselling their bitstream product is forced to the same specification: 512k at 48:1. Even if they got their backhaul for nothing, it would still have to be rationed out so that each user can only download around 3.25 gigs a month on average pretty much forcing the ISP to cap the service regardless of the cost of bandwidth. This is an artificial bottleneck imposed by Eircom. Unless UTV can negotiate better terms from Eircom (who have no incentive to comply unless forced by the regulator), UTV will have to bring out a service identical to Netsource, Esat and Eircom.

In Sweden you have competition. That is the difference. Eircom have trialled VDSL successfully already but they aren't going to roll it out unless they have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 even

Originally posted by naitkris
    actually Ireland is much more expensive drink wise than Sweden since Ireland got the Euro money and inflation went as high as it has become. Four years ago, Sweden was more expensive then Ireland for drink but now it is the other way around.

It is now cheaper to buy yourself a pint of Guiness or Murphy's in a Swedish pub then it is here...

Ireland is now the most expensive country in the world for just about EVERYTHING, but the high price we pay here isn't justified with high quality goods and services :-(

Well just let me clarify. I moved from Sweden to Ireland about 2 weeks ago. Broadband in Sweden owns Ireland. But a pint of Guinness in Sweden is not cheaper than in Ireland. And let me tell you that a pint of Guinness in Sweden tastes nothing like Guinness over here.

But back to broadband:
    Brebandsbolaget which offers 10Mbit/s (full duplex guys, so this is effectively 20Mbit/s as you can simultanously upload and download at 10Mbit/s each way) charges 315 SEK per month which is about €35 per month. Earlier it was possible to hack the local switch and turn up your speed to 100Mbit/s full duplex. And this was 100Mbit/s effective. I could download with 10MB/s from Norway and The Netherlands! All for a mere €35 / month.

As for Scream I have not tried it, nor know anyone that have. You can get 26Mbit/s (both ways) up to 300m. Between 300m and 1000m you get 13Mbit/s. Above that you get 8Mbit down and 1 Mbit up. This cost you 395 SEK per month, which translates to about €44/month.

....and did I mention that 3G is allready launched in Sweden? www.tre.se to get info on this.

All in all though, the people of Ireland are much nicer than the lads over in Sweden, so I'll stay here even with the ****ty broadband services. It will probably get better within the next century or so :p

// Even

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by even

All in all though, the people of Ireland are much nicer than the lads over in Sweden, so I'll stay here even with the ****ty broadband services. It will probably get better within the next century or so :p

// Even

Dont hold your breath :)

Welcome to Ireland though, enjoy all The Rat has to offer ...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

€35 per month. Earlier it was possible to hack the local switch and turn up your speed to 100Mbit/s full duplex. And this was 100Mbit/s effective

I did the maths earlier - 100Mb was the total bandwidth of all the ADSL customers in the country until recently - (48 exchanges @ 2Mb each..)

Though since you can get a gigabit card for as little as €33 + VAT it's probably fair to still say that all of the ADSL in this country stil does not really amount to much.... (hmmm.. wiring up a new estate ..)

100Mbit total? =)

Brebandsbolaget is running a 1Gbit/s fibre connection to each apartment-complex. That means you have a 10Mbit/s connection to your local switch, and from there a 1Gbit/s fiber cable takes your trafic... Pretty impressive that they have rolled out this over larger parts of Sweden and also some parts of Norway.

// Even

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Detonated Sauce

Drool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭pepsiman

Bredbandsbolaget is running a 1Gbit/s fibre connection to each apartment-complex. That means you have a 10Mbit/s connection to your local switch, and from there a 1Gbit/s fiber cable takes your trafic...
    Installation of this is pretty expensive. I don't know the prices of a Bredbandsbolaget installation, but I do know that Dansk Bredbånd (dbnet.dk, Danish Broadband) charge not less than €590 per apartment with at least 100 apartments in the housing co-operative to be wired up. Then, if you want it there's an activation fee of €67, and a monthly fee of €40. This is 10mbit full duplex.
    Pretty impressive that they have rolled out this over larger parts of Sweden and also some parts of Norway.
    Bredbandsbolaget's Norwegian company Bredbåndsfabrikken have ceased roll-out in Norway due to an investment stop pending a decision on their future activities in Norway.

/T

...and this is a download from a norwegian site :D
    which proves my point that it's not only 10Mbit/s internally in the network, you can get 10Mbit/s speeds through the internet too.

// Even

maybe i was exagerrating a little over the pint of guiness :-)

but general alcohol is now cheaper in off-licenses in Sweden then it is in Ireland - this is from someone who has lived in both countries for many years and been in both countries in the last 6 months.

the broadband price and availability in Sweden is no. 1 in the world, most people I know in Sweden have 10mbit connections which means 1MB/s real download speed, which is 20x more than one gets with the DSL offered here at only half the price. Plus it is uncapped.

About cap'ing:
    In Norway (I'm born and bred there) they were originally offering uncapped ADSL. All ISPs followed this, until one day Telenor (the Eircom equivalent) decided they would move over to a cap'ed solution. There was a public outcry and "everyone" (including the papers ofcourse) was protesting it! Eventually, Telenor moved over to their new model while other ISPs stayed uncap'ed. Telenor lost a lot of customers, but the ignorant ones stayed ofcourse.

So what can we learn from this?
    Whoever controls the media, controls the power. And also that education is the best way to fight corporations who prey on the ignorant.

I haven't really gotten exactly what IOFFL is yet, but I figure it is a group campaigning for a better broadband-world in Ireland.. Keep going! The best thing for the big corporations is for no-one to complain in public.

// Even

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I haven't really gotten exactly what IOFFL is yet, but I figure it is a group campaigning for a better broadband-world in Ireland.. Keep going! The best thing for the big corporations is for no-one to complain in public.

// Even

Yes, that's right, checkout www.irelandoffline.org
    for more info and welcome aboard.

Advertisement