Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router

Options
  • 06-06-2003 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a router that has the following:

DSL modem supporting PPPoE and PPPoA
    a 10/100Mbit ethernet switch, ~4 ports, maybe an uplink
    Wireless access point/card for wireless clients
    Decent and comprehensive web, telnet/ssh interface and a serial port for CLI.
    Manual (hopefully printed)
    Doesn't overheat :)
    Port forwarding, IP masquerading.
    Should allow us to host a server behind it which can still be have certain ports on the router bound to it (ie we should be able to SSH to the WAN IP of the router from the internet and be landed at the IP of the linux box behind the router on the LAN).
    DHCP and VPN prehaps.

Looking at the Sol-wise 715 wireless version and Draytek 2800We

any better reccomendations/info/feature comparison/bad stuff I should know about?

Looking to get what I want for ~€220-240 incl VAT + del

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kc10

check this one out http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008XYIT/ref=sr_aps_electronics_1_1/202-5231257-6078232 ,i think it has the features you want . have not used wireless function yet which you get by inserting wireless card(wpc11 which you get free) to make it an access point . i am very happy with it and only cost 190 euro including delivery. type in linksys router in search and you'll get more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

actiontec smc linksys netgear d-link

check em all

masquerading as in NAT I trust

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

yeah got that Linksys router, savage yoke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭uzami

I use the linksys, nice unit. Sometimes drops connections, though that could be eircom, so I not sure who to blame at the moment.

kevin@basewireless.net emailed me during the week to say that he had the netgear dg824m for €195 + p&p. (don't know whether VAT is inc.)

I'd go for either unit. Best there is for combined. The netgear was over €300 when I was first looking to buy.

If you look in the Solwise forums there is a very complicated workaround for getting that unit working on eircom.........so I'd stay clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I've seen a few reports of the netgear overheating badly leading to dropped connections.

The Solwise SAR110 has hassle with eircom connections but I don't think the workaround is as hard as you make out. Afaik it's just changing the authentication from PAP to CHAP.

The linksys looks nice though :)

Would prefer a removable antenna/external antenna connector for WLAN purposes but I guess you can't have everything :)

What are those Linksys WPC11 cards like performance-wise?
    We'd have at least 3 clients conected to it over wireless.
    Do they add much to ping?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The linksys router Wirless capabilties are provided by a seperate module, in the shape of a PCMCIA card that smplay slots in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    The linksys router Wirless capabilties are provided by a seperate module, in the shape of a PCMCIA card that smplay slots in.

But would the signal strength from the PC card be as stong as say, a router with built in wireless Access Point?

The D-link 604G+ looks good, haven't heard any reviews about it though. It's only €199 inc. VAT, ex delivery now as well.

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre

I know :)
    SyxPak:

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazooka

I would stay away from the D-Link...nightmare to configure for eircom, also the range on the wireless is almost useless...best bet is to get seperate AP (buffalo 54mb) and get Allied Telesyn AT-AR240E for the DSL (Includes Sateful Inspection Firewall, DHCP, VPN, Port Forwarding etc...) I have sold about twenty of these...not even the slighest problem...sets up in about two minutes...

have a look: http://www.ict-pro.com/products/at-ar240e.htm

sorry for the shameless sales plug!

I'm not getting the Eircom deal, but the Netsource SOHO RADSL offer. I know Netsource are using the Eircom's last mile but the connection issues will be different, plus Eircom has some differnet packages available (both older and new) which might have varying connection issues.

A friend of mine has the DLink 604 and he's sorted, except for opening ports.

I'll look at the Allied Telesync now.
    Unless we can get the whole lot for ~€220 including VAT and Delivery it's not an option.
    I don't really care about wireless, I don't have a laptop and have 3com905C in my box so I'd be more then happy to go ordinary wired. It's the other lads in the house that want it.

• Advertisement

The Telesync only has 1 10MBit ethernet port.
    For €200 ex-VAT I expect a hell of a lot more.

just add it to small switch and you are away...and also USB for DMZ config...don't forget you are getting integrated stateful inspection firewall...you can have it for €220 including VAT..send me a PM if you would like one...

Have a look at the firewall screenshots:
    http://www.ict-pro.com/support/manuals/firewall.htm

Sorry meant to say that you can use USB port at the same time as LAN Port to have machine as DMZ machine...

and surely 10mb port is ok...just how fast will your dsl connection be???

Originally posted by SyxPak

They seem fine. I can get good coverage through two/three brick walls. Though an external antenae will always be preferable.

Do they add much to ping?

they add to the ping if you have wep enabled.

Have a look at this page

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2003/q2/netgear-dg824m.asp

Originally posted by bazooka
    Sorry meant to say that you can use USB port at the same time as LAN Port to have machine as DMZ machine...
    We won't have a machine on 24/7 in the same room as the router, therefore of no use.
    just add it to small switch and you are away...and also USB for DMZ config...don't forget you are getting integrated stateful inspection firewall...you can have it for €220 including VAT..send me a PM if you would like one...

That's my point.
    So far I'd have to spend €220 on the router/dsl modem + a switch (~€70 for something worthwhile) + more money on the wireless access point (which'll take up a port on the switch)
    I put that at about €400-€420, nearly twice what I can afford and all i seem to get that's of any value is stateful packet inspection and I'm not sure if we really need that. Could just put a linux box between the router and the lan...
    The product would be worth €280 inc VAT and Del if it had a 4-port 100Mbit switch and a 802.11b wireless adapter built-in along with it's current features.
    If I can throw a bit of CAT5e down the hall into the router's switch using my existing nic why would I want to go spending more money on a 802.11g wireless card?
    Nice toys, but overkill for what we'll be using.

No sale.

and surely 10mb port is ok...just how fast will your dsl connection be???
    sorry my mistake, had other things on my mind when I read 10MBit.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

just a sugestion but why not use smoothwall on some old pc.
    www.smoothwall.org

i used it to share a 56k connection ages ago.

Yikes...Syxak...Just offeiring alternative...no need to bite my head off...

That wasn't me biting your head off :)

Sorry if I came across a bit strong, but I thought it was clear that I was looking for an all-in-one solution for around €240 inc VAT and Delivery.

Apologies if I injured your sensibilites ;)

Thanks for the alternative regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

SyxPak - if you are interested in the Telesyn router, Elara have it for €150 incl VAT. Sounds like you'll be better off with an all-in-one box though. I'm considering it myself because I already have the switch etc and AT have a good reputation.

Originally posted by jackbauer
    just a sugestion but why not use smoothwall on some old pc.
    www.smoothwall.org

i used it to share a 56k connection ages ago.

That was what I was considering first (with a custom Debian install) before we had a look at the amount of wiring, routing and drilling that'd need to be done to the house which meant that the setup would have to be in a lads bedroom.
    He wouldn't be able to sleep with the hard discs and fans spinning beside his head at night.

I'm still undecided, but looking more and more at the SAR715PV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I'd recommend the Zyxel 650H. They also make a version with built in wireless, but I'd recommend a seperate access point. You can get the 650H from broadbandstore.co.uk (they will ship to Ireland if you email). Great router - stable, tons of advanced features, has upnp, etc. :) Seems as if the special offer of £99 is over though. :(

I'm torn between the SAR 715PW, Draytek Vigor 2600We and the Zyxel 650HW atm.

Also need to get a PCi 802.11b card ontop of that, can splashout maybe €260 inc VAT and Delivery but that's at the very limits of what we can afford (the DSl line itself will cost the same to get it off the ground)

Get the Linksys or Netgear....you will be left with enough change from either purchase ( particularly the Linksys) that you could afford to buy a dedicated WAP as well as the integrated solution

I've heard that the netgear is rather prone to overheating, and adding a small HSF isn't an option as the solution needs to be as quiet as possible.

Know any good English/Irish retailers for the linksys?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ie. linux on two floppy disks - with firewalls routing and WiFi
    (ie 486 with no HDD or CD - so very quiet - esp if you can get your hands an old optiplex with a thermostat fan in the psu)

ME 2000- now can function as an access point :)
    [edit - only if find the appropiate firmware :( ]

But ME1000 would still act as a client to another AP

Originally posted by SyxPak
    I'm torn between the SAR 715PW, Draytek Vigor 2600We and the Zyxel 650HW atm.

SyxPak - what did you go for in the end? I'm looking at similar choices, and it would be great to know how you're getting on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Buy now for €99.00 ex VAT, €119.79 inc VAT, ring +353 66 7190089

The 3Com OfficeConnect Wireless Cable/DSL Gateway includes many of the IP routing and firewall privacy features of a full-scale router or firewall, at a fraction of the price. Multiple security features protect data and applications. An intuitive web interface and configuration wizards simplify setup and use. And because it is Wi-Fi certified, it works with Wi-Fi compatible equipment.

vbnets Kerry Technology Park, Tralee. Co. Kerry. Ireland. Tel: +353-66-7190089,

Got one on Saturday so will be testing it out....

Not a bad price. What modem are you using with it?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by tomk
    SyxPak - what did you go for in the end? I'm looking at similar choices, and it would be great to know how you're getting on.

Went for a SAR-715 in the end, €160 delivered to our door. Should be arriving this week.

It's not a wireless model, don't need that function anymore since we've sorted our wiring problems.

Advertisement