Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerry Ryan Really Wants Your Help

• 06-06-2003 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭

Gerry Ryan on radio this morning informed the nation that he is trying to decide should he go BSkyB or ntl Go digital.

He may have shares and friends in ntl because he stated that any time he has to contact them they have proved to be very helpful.....

He is also considering buying a new tv...... and the pictures from cable or satellite just have to be very very very clear as he told a tv shop owner in Ballyshannon.

How would you advise him?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭a bientot

Gerry Ryan on radio this morning informed the nation that he is trying to decide should he go ntl Go digital or BskyB.

He may have shares and friends in ntl because he stated that any time he has to contact them they have proved to be very helpful.....

He is also considering buying a new tv...... and the pictures from cable or satellite just have to be very very very clear as he told a tv shop owner in Ballyshannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 strettie1

tell him to make sure and buy a widescreen tv if he wants to see all of his big head on it ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Stay on the receiving end of a television for the sake of the country.:D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by a bientot

In Ballyshannon? Wonder what he was doing there! :)

If he wants a new telly, assuming he's loadsa money maybe he should get a 36" Sony Wega. Mmmm! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Tell him He is not allowed to get it until RTE cancel that woefull show Showcasing the 'tallents' of Afore mentoned person,,,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by a bientot

He is also considering buying a new tv

Why are you asking us this? Are you Gerry Ryan in disguise? If so, please, less of the make up on your tv show, it's gross.

As for NTL being helpful...perhaps it's because they know Gerry Ryan is a fairly influential man when it comes down to it, i'm sure even those idiots wouldn't appreciate him doing a feature on how rubbish NTL are on his national radio show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Would you recommend a 36' Sony Wega over a big plasma-screen job?

I'm moving into a new house in a few months and wouldnt mind going a bit overboard on the TV.

Is it simple to wire up Sky Digital to different TVs without having to pay double subs?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Well there are advantages to both...

Firstly, if you are keeping NTL analogue, NTL Digital works out a hell of a lot cheaper (to the tune of EUR 15 a month nearly) than Sky Digital + NTL analogue together. Keeping NTL analogue has its advantages, such as being able to record from one channel while watching another, different channels in different rooms, and availablity of UTV and Channel Four. It also provides you with choice of viewing on BBC TWO at peak times - local NI programmes on Digital, Network output on analogue.

There is also the excellent BBC WORLD on NTL Digital.

Against this Sky offers a far wider choice of channels. It also offers interactive services and digital text, both of which have yet to reach NTL. There is also the advantage of a signal anywhere, wheras with NTL your house must be cabled.

The choice is yours - price vs quantity... It must be said that nearly all of the major Sky channels (with exceptions of Trouble, Challenge TV, and Sky One Mix that come to mind) are now on NTL Digital, with the addition of (most of) UKTV this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Originally posted by The Rooster
    Is it simple to wire up Sky Digital to different TVs without having to pay double subs?

Simple enough, but you can only watch one channel at a time.

Just make sure there are at least three* coaxial cables running from the living room to the attic. Make sure the cable is screened (CT100 type) as normal co-axial is crap. Then just run more of the cable from the attic to whichever rooms you want.

* Satellite feed, aerial feed and one for sending signal back to other rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

hmmm...interesting. Sat cable would be best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Hmmm, yourself. Ya newbie !!! :D

I saw the other thread over in ICDG before it got removed

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by The Rooster
    Would you recommend a 36' Sony Wega over a big plasma-screen job?

Well, that would be whatever you'd prefer! A Samsung 42" Plasma is about €5000 (which would exclude tuner and speakers), much more than a 36" Wega! I personally prefer CRT over Plasma. Plasma looks cool on the wall but ya cant beat a big brute of a telly stuck in the corner! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

ATTN: Post deleted

Ditto as per above.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Originally posted by cableguy
    BTW does anyone here really care.

Eh... NO !

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

I would advise him to go to SKY as NTL suck!!!

ATTN: Thread merged with thread of same name in Satellite forum.

And for goodness sake guys, drop the personal attacks, or I will close this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Personal attacks? I dont understand, Are we not allowed to express ourselves!
    Im short, sorry looking much savage! Ive never come up with a good idea in my life! Im a Moron!!!

Are those kind of personal attacks allowed?

Me thinks that this place takes its self a bit too seriously sometimes!

Because you never know who might be reading. Very minor things said in Irish newspapers have ended up being multimillion pound court actions. The Irish libel and slander laws are very strict, some would say too strict.

I'm sure no one here would like to be the subject of a court action. I wouldn't and neither would DeVore, Cloud and the Boards.ie team. That's why we have to bar personal attacks. Its a consequence of our litigous culture that we have to protect ourselves against.

Anyway, discussion over. Back on topic, if there's anything more to say.

Advertisement