Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher French

Options
  • 07-06-2003 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

Lads what written topics came up in your french pre's or what topics do you think will come up.

There are so many topics from disability to I.T. to terrorism and I dont have the vocab for all of them.

If everyone puts up what topics came up we can see which ones aere most likely.

I cant find my pre paper :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

The only one I can remember from my mocks that came up was something on Sellafield. I don't have any time to spend on french.......I still have a lot to prepare for history that day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Found it :D post yers up if ye can and we'll see which is most popular.

Q1
    a) At sixteen years, one doesn't understand

b) The humanitarian workers are nowadays the true heroes

Q2
    a) Cruelty to animals

b) You have received your invitaton to the wedding in France of the sister of your French penfriend in whose home you recently stayed. Write a letter:

· Thank them heart their invitation and send your best wishes to the young couples.

· Explain that, to your rigged regret, you will be unable to go because you are sitting your Leaving Certificate one that day.

· Ask their advice one has wedding gift.

· Say that you will call to see them when you are France in August next

Q3

a) Terrorism

b) Refugees

Q4

a) Friendship

b) Money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

LOL i did the same pre as whitey and i can honestly say i wrote on none of those topics. Really need to work on my french, can't even decipher what they're asking :(

Man I love being fluent :)

Oh yea we didn't get an official mock, our teacher was afraid people would try and get it before teh start of our mocks so we got a mixture of past papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Terrorism would be sweet......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭wiensta

Theres really no point in trying to predict french abstract topics from your mock exams.

Its not like theres a list of things that could come up, as there is in biology, for example.

Your best bet is to look at current events, or current events about 9 months ago when the paper was put together. Id bet on the special olympics or war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Originally posted by Duffman
    Terrorism would be sweet......

What kinda stuff could you write for terrorism? in French

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Couldn't do half of those in english not to mind french

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I hate all the god damn languages I have to do.
    English is a test in english literature.
    Irish is evil and the honours grading curve is wrecked by irish speaking schools which means you have to be fluent to get a good result.
    French is just annoying. (probably as a result of my hatred of the other two)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Surely someone here wrote on the terrorism topic. Im just looking for French sentences which I could use on that topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It's best if you don't just rote-learn a whole load of sentences. Instead, learn phrases and verbs that can applied to a whole range of topics, and *then* learn some specific vocab for eah topic. It'll amount to the same amount of work, and you'll be able to adapt to any paper the department throws at you.

As for terrorism, you're not expected to give a powerful insight into it in the space of 90 words. "Terrorism has changed the world", "Terrorism is the new face of evil" and "Terrorism is evident in many forms" are good starting points for brainstorms.

But again, the French paper is extremely difficult to predict, so you're much better off knowing your grammar and verbs as well as as much vocab on specific topics as you can - that way, if you get a horrible paper in June you won't be stuck with a load of learned-off sentences that don't fit any title.

Advertisement