Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish shops/websites that sell data cables?

• 07-06-2003 12:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭

Well i want to buy a data cable without the sofware or anything, like you would on ebay for bout 10 euro. Are there any shops or websites in Ireland that sell these as i can just download the software from the net.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

what's the cable going to connect?

serial/usb to phone/pda make/model

two sites i use for pda's are in the US, there are a number of UK sites depending on the make/model of phone

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

oh yeah, sorry
    its for the nokia 7210 i plan on buying (from the other topic) so i can transfer backgrounds, ringtones etc.

ah! - my fault :) - i should've been a bit sharper - but got a horrible cold travelling last week and it's late so a bit fuzzy...

you could add the Nokia USB cable to your exapnsys order from their accessories listing - a bit steep at Eur50 but i haven't seen any third party (non-Nokia Pop-Port USB) cables around the net as yet - maybe someone else out there has?

might be worth looking into an InfraRed adapter as an alternative

only other option i've seen is the 3rd party serial data cable - but it's hassle (need to be connected under the battery) and is mainly used for unlocking or with 3rd party software tools like MobiMB - the Nokia PC Suite for the 7210 won't work with it

hth,
    BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

really? i thought it would be easy to get cables on their own.
    i was searching ebay and i found a load of auctions for cables without software, that must be the only way i suppose, thanks anyway

you can get both on their own

haven't seen a cheap (non-nokia) pop port one yet - maybe someone else out their has spotted one - so it is still a bit steep paying for the Nokia Original part - this or an infrared connection is the way to connect the Nokia PC Suite app with the phone

the serial one is available on it's own too - but it's mainly used for unlocking / flashing - and needs some sort of s/w like the logomanager or that mobimb to get items on the phone

maybe because the Pop-Port is still new enough 3rd party cable manufacturers haven't started mass production of copies for it yet? - unless it's somethign to do with copyright/patents on the pop-port connector (not that it would stop some people producing them anyhow!) probably only a matter of time as it's used on all the newer Nokia handsets and eur 50 for an original cable is a tad expensive

hth,
    BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I found a Pop Port Data cable in the carphone warehouse for my 7250 for 69Euros. you get the drivers with it in the box, make sure you install the drivers before you install the Data Suite.
    Its a great data suite, loads of stuff on it.
    Sean

is that a Nokia Part or some 3rd party cable+data suite, can you give a link /info on the manufacturer if so?

and can you elaborate on the lots of stuff :)

atb,
    BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Sorry , wasnt very descriptive in my last post!
    The Cable i bought was an official nokia DKU-5. it came with the drivers on a disc.
    The Suite i was refering to was Nokia Data Suite 5.1 (downloaded from Nokia.com) and the loads of stuff was the standard features on the suite, it was just much more impressive than previous suites etc!

Sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Don't bother with Irish shops/websites, I looked around a year ago for one for my old Nokia 7110 and was offered a cable for €65. Got one from www.expansys.com at more or less half the price, including P&P, which got to me the next day.

found the expansys courier only delivery outside the UK (min. Eur 20) can add a lot when just ordering accessories - worth checking out www.mphone.co.uk too as they offer the option of air mail for accessories over to here which works out less than the courier charges

Mobile Action appear to have released a cable and their Data Suite for the PopPort phones, so looks like the 3rd party cables are beginning to show (not clear if this will work the Nokia PC Suite though):
    http://www.matweb-01.com/English/solutions-fds.htm

(p.s. had pointed to expansys for the cable [post4] as the phone was about to be ordered from them in the first place ;))

BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭rikili

Have a look at ebay.co.uk, and search for dku 5....
    There' s a guy in germany selling the USB data cable + usb charger for 25Euro, and shipment should be less than a tenner...

Advertisement