Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone know how to record Realplayer files?

Options
  • 07-06-2003 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of a program that will record streaming RealPlayer files? perferably recording in mp3 format?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

2 ways to do so.

1st open soundforge or other audio editor and hit record while streaming.

2nd where are you streaming from ? Sometimes you can save the .ram file to disk open it in text editor and it will give you a link to the .rm download that. then get the realplayer plugin for winamp and write it to .wav then convert to .mp3.

I find the 2nd way easist but it's your call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

there are a few apps that do that, havent tried them myself.
    i used to use virtual audio cable and then use sound forge to record it (any old wav recording app should do)

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

There are a number of pieces of software that'll do it for you Ando, however Real don't like people doing it. Streambox VCR will let you do it, but Real took them to court over it and it was taken off their site. You can google for it, and should find it with little bother... with it you need a number of patches as the program was originally designed to contact one of the companies servers (which is no longer running thanks to Real). Again, these are available from google.

Procedure is:
    1) Run Streambox VCR
    2) Enter path to Real file
    3) Click download

It'll save the stream to a file on your HD (but if you're just going to leave it download and not pay attention, be careful of Live streams [unending]).

There are additional patches available to remove the download speed limit (handy if you're on DSL) and a few other trinkets, usually you'll find them on the same websites that have Streambox VCR.

Once you have the file on your HD, you can convert it to MP3 using any of the free tools on the net.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ando

thats great, got a copy of streambox :) works great

Meant to mention that it does both Video and Audio streams, so you could download the news from RTÉ if you were so inclined. Mentioning now just in case anyone searches for this/similar info in future...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Since we're talking about Streambox does anyone know of a way to download files from it faster than streaming speed? I'm occasionally trying to download john peels show over on www.bbc.co.uk and despite the file being only 28megs it takes exactly two full hours (ie the listening duration of the file) to download.

Is bbc capping the transfer speed or is there a preset in streambox that I need to change?

Yep, as I said in my original post, "there are additional patches available to remove the download speed limit". You want to search for the "StealthMulderFix" (it requires beta 3.1 though IIRC).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Can anyone tell me how to record stuff off the BBC Radio 1 site? Some of the files are real player, and I can get them ok, but some are played through a dedicated media player the BBC have and I can't seem to find a way of recording them. I'd really like the Lamacq show with Radiohead...

Thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Streambox only works on some realplayer videos that i try to download. Does anyone know any way that i could get it to download theese files from the BBC sport website?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

I've found something better than streambox and it downloads any file, its called MetaProducts Offline Explorer Pro

It can be downloaded here

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Pigman II
    Since we're talking about Streambox does anyone know of a way to download files from it faster than streaming speed? I'm occasionally trying to download john peels show over on www.bbc.co.uk and despite the file being only 28megs it takes exactly two full hours (ie the listening duration of the file) to download.

Is bbc capping the transfer speed or is there a preset in streambox that I need to change?

Regading this topic can someone please explain to me what exactly I'm supposed to do with the stealthmulderfix files in relation to 'streambox 1.0 beta 31' in order to overcome this speed cap?

I've checked the net for advise and the few references on using SMF seem to all be on public forums and are limited to vague comments such as 'apply the stealthmulderfix' and nothing more.

Can anyone give me a step-by-step on what I'm supposed to do with it please?

Assuming you applied all the patches, and just can't find where to change the download speed cap, if I'm wrong let me know and I'll type up everything from start to finish.

To change download speed, when you are adding a file to the download list and the "New Item" window comes up, go to the "Connection" tab (5th from the left) and set "Bandwidth" to "T1 LAN" or something that will take full advantage of your connection. IIRC picking "T1 LAN" while on a 56k connection would lead to dropped frames etc. so if you spot glitches or problems in the video after download, you can always try to redownload it at a lower speed.

Hi Mixie, thanks for responding.

No, I still haven't applied the patch yet and would like how this is done first of all.

(actually out of interest is there a newer version of StreamBox available now which has this patch inbuilt into it already perhaps?)

Check your PMs Pigman II.

Advertisement