Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weighted Crunches

• 07-06-2003 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here do weighted crunches or know anything about them?

I've started doing them recently. Basically I do a standard crunch with a 28 kg dumbbell on my chest. I rest the weight on a cushion to reduce bruising and it seems to work ok.

Before this, when doing normal crunches, I was having to do a huge number of reps before I felt any burn but with the weight on I'm getting burn after 20 reps and am pretty exhausted after 35 reps.

Has anyone any comments or suggestions on this?

BrianD3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Most gyms are ill equipped for weighted stomach movements.

However it is possible to sit facing out on a lat pull down machine, lock the bar securely into your chest and perform seated weighted crunches.

Youyr gym might have a rotary weighted machine for obliques, worth looking for.

As for just weighted on the floor regular crunches ... well simply try and keep the weight as high on your chest/neck as possible, pick a visual point on the ceiling, keep your eyes fixed on it and bring just your shoulders off the ground. Try and focus on the contraction. Many people bring their whole back off the floor - there is no need for this, if you want to target lower abs do knee crunches etc.

Try taking your abs workout very slow, and hold the contraction at the peak for 2 seconds, really focus on the area. A very slow controlled movement regardless of weight should get you burning up quicker.

JAK.

Advertisement