Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(cool screenies.) id game design ability?

Options
  • 01-11-1998 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

I think I tried to bring it up before, but with thw hype for q3 starting, it becomes relevant again (like bell-bottom-jeans).

I reckon what made q1 good was the rare combination of technical stuff, art stuff and game design, and perhaps the pressure and animosity that was around in id at that time. Check out the whole story in the Wired edition with Carmack, Carmack and Romero on the front, but of course like any quake fan you've read it.
    Romero seems to be a lazy-ass, highly skilled type, ie. real annoying (others being Brendan Grace, Johnny Marr (or is that aar) etc. But he did creat the gameplay of doom and quake1.
    Funny to think that only Carmack is left.

(dont know if I'll make it till 5 to watch the gp) (I already seem to be dribbling, even in text)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Should be interesting and good they are going for ANSI C, that last Q2 code was a bit troublesome.

http://finger.planetquake.com/qfplan.asp?userid=johnc&id=10448

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭earthworm_jim

Heh..Interpreted C .. anyone remember C-Terp on the PC and Atari ST? Pretty cool for rapid prototyping. I reckon they should have considered perl though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭FlavorFlav

i found it funny, the guy is just wandering around pickin and choosing what ever he wants to do, he says, "I didnt want to design a new language" .. but he did fell like designing a microprocessor.

Advertisement