Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with network

Options
  • 07-06-2003 2:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

hope you can help me.
    im trying to install a network in my dads office but having problems with the hubs!!

the computers are old macintosh's.
    im trying to connect up two rooms that house these computers and printer. they have no problem communicting with each other but i cant get the cross over connection to work

the hubs i am using are CentreCom mr815t and a 3com (cant remember it but its a five port switch that cost me e55

the led light for connectivity comes on in the 3com switch but not the centreCom hub

what the deal is it the cable or are the two hubs not compatible with each other??

the 3com hub also acts as a switch or i should say is more of a switch but this shouldnt be a problem right??

please help. its something really small but if it get it tight the whole network will work then

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

There may be something up with one of the hubs. There should be no problem communiation between them at all.

There may also be a problem with the cross over cable you are using. Try a different cable, or there may be a button/switch on front of one or both of the hubs. This has the effect of allowing a normal cable to link the two hubs when it is pressed in. If this was activated on one hub when you are using the swap over cable, if would prevent it from working.

Advertisement