Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Xp Pro -Help Needed

Options
  • 07-06-2003 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

hi,
    yesterday i installed windows xp pro.
    it was working brilliantly.
    i installed a couple of programs and restarted a few times.
    then when i want to log on it takes up to 20 minutes.
    i check task manager to see if there is a problem there and it says that svchost.exe is using alot of cpu power. i close that and the computer is back to normal...
    i installed norton system works 2002 last.
    i ran a complete virus scan after downloading definitions.
    it told me that i had a virii on the computer.
    it seemed to activate one trojan which would'nt let me use .exe files. after about 1 hour i fixed that.
    i was told to install windows xp sp 1 , by some one in #windows95 on dalnet, and i tried that about 5 times but every time it cancels it itself. i do not click cancel btw it is automatic.
    i have not registered windows xp pro yet because when i want to it doesnt open. i have been looking for the actual application for a while.
    also my sound card drivers seems to be incompatible with win xp pro it is "Creative AudioPCI (ES1370), SB PCI 64/128 (WDM)"
    so...
    if anyone can i help me i need:
    1 to fix the svchost.exe so i can log on normally
    2 find the application to register windows
    3 to find out why i cant install sp 1, i think it is because i havent activated windows yet.
    4 to find drivers for my sound card.

thank you i have spent about 10 hours trying to do these and fix the virus. a little help would do good.
    btw it is a real copy of windows xp, not a pirated version
    thanks
    ww)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by EyeDeeOne
    hi,
    yesterday i installed windows xp pro.
    it was working brilliantly.
    [snip]
    i ran a complete virus scan after downloading definitions.
    it told me that i had a virii on the computer.

Was it a clean install? I presume it wasn't if you have a virus. Anyway, did you note down the name of the virus? If you did go to the Symantec virus removal tool page to have a look for a removal tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

seeing as you've only just installed windows, you might as well do a clean install & install norton + the most recent updates once you've done that.

(just a suggestion, it's what i would do)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭EyeDeeOne

well i dont think the virus is relevent.
    it's name is "backdoor.optixpro.12" and i already removed it
    i looked up the internet and found loads of other people with the same problem but i havent found a fix

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭EyeDeeOne

i probably will re-install windows and see if that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭kernel32.dll

You can integrate Windows XP SP1 into the original CD version that you have, and install it that way, so that you automatically get XP SP1 installed on your machine in 1 installation.

Instructions are here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/downloads/servicepacks/sp1/spdeploy.asp

As for the drivers, you'll need to contact Creative Labs for them...

Svchost.exe hosts internal services...so ther eis something wrong with one of the services, or there is an application using a service when it shouldn't. You could go into CP and disable any servies that you don't require.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Older sound blasters and Wxp do not seem to get along, driver-wise. I have a c.4 year old SBlive value card and no amount of dicking around will get the SB drivers to work. Not good news after you have d/led the 40 something meg file over dial up.
    The good news is that the generic driver that XP loads works very well. You may need to tweak the options by right clicking the volume icon in the system tray i.e. speaker configuration and possibly digital output in the advanced options.

Oh and it sounds like a virus. Format and do a clean install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭kernel32.dll

My SBLive Value card which I got about 4 years ago works great with int OOB drivers....I only need to add the creative l=ones to get the 4 way speakers working.....

Advertisement