Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Little box on my street labeled 'Broad Band'

Options
  • 07-06-2003 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Just wondering.. just outside the door of my house.. umm .. id say less than 25 meters away there is a Green Box labeled 'Broad Band' on the top of it. JUst wondering anyone know what this is.. I wouldnt say its an exchange cus it looks far to small (never seen an exchange just looks to small to be one, thinking that an exchange is a big building or something).. and because on another street further down there is another one of these boxes (out side the gates of UL up a bit) As you may have noticed I live near UL, just wonderin what they are. Any Ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Detonated Sauce

Go out with a hammer/screwdriver and open her up, see whats inside maybe even get some cabling and bring it to your pc, see what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

ehh lol... hmmm.. wait a sec.. hehehehe...

BRB...

any got any ideas.. so i dont cause puplic vandalism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Detonated Sauce

I'd say its eircom trying to look good. Is the thing actually set into concrete or has it just been give the half assed treatment and just plonked onto the ground? and what is UL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

i always though an exchange wuould be a huge building surrounded by eircom vans for some reason haha

anyeay if u see any eircom guys messin with
    it ask em

or else just ring them yourself u have broadband in your area, be happy!

UL

University Of Limerick :)

Soz.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Eircom exchanges are buildings with loads of rack type old looking switchboard yokes in them. They most certainly are not a little green box at the side of the road.

Chief.

edit-

in fact heres a pic of one such rack.

switchro.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Wow those "ranks" look as high tech as a commodore 64:D QUICK someone find the tape drive !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by -ADREN-
    Just wondering.. just outside the door of my house.. umm .. id say less than 25 meters away there is a Green Box labeled 'Broad Band' on the top of it. JUst wondering anyone know what this is.. I wouldnt say its an exchange cus it looks far to small (never seen an exchange just looks to small to be one, thinking that an exchange is a big building or something).. and because on another street further down there is another one of these boxes (out side the gates of UL up a bit) As you may have noticed I live near UL, just wonderin what they are. Any Ideas?

does it look like the box in the picture thats attached in this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99231

only in better condition, if it is its a sub exchange, estates have them all over the place in waterford

regards

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

waht is a sub exchange ? do they run fiber from that to the exchange? and if the sub exchange had fiber in it back to the exchange and if it was upgraded would that mean that the distance limitations would only be effictaive from the sub exchange? anyone got any good links to this sort of stuff?

Originally posted by irishguy
    waht is a sub exchange ? do they run fiber from that to the exchange? and if the sub exchange had fiber in it back to the exchange and if it was upgraded would that mean that the distance limitations would only be effictaive from the sub exchange? anyone got any good links to this sort of stuff?

havent a clue m8, I was googling last night trying to find info but couldnt find anything, if someone could help here itd be much appreciated

Regards
    shin

• Advertisement

I think at some stage it might have looked like that.. but now its just this plastic green cover over the ground bolted in, with broad band labeled on top..

So not sure stilll?

Anymore ideas..?

If it was one of those duplex box things is this bad.. I asked netsource to check my line to see if it passed for adsl and it did ..so the line seems to be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

He doesn't know because he was quoting moi. A sub exchange has sweet fa to do with fivre, its just to increase the capacity for a normal exchange by handling a couple thousand phonelines, as far as I know if you on one of theses you nearly certain to be screwed as far as ADSL goes. Its like a bigger, better splitter. there not made out of plastic, there about 2m in height and length and 20cm wide

i was just asking if anyone knew what they were not just -ADREN-.so the only place fiber comes into it [in ireland] is from the exchange on? wouldnt it be easier for them to run fiber to these sub exchanges?

i was just asking if anyone knew what they were not just -ADREN-.so the only place fiber comes into it [in ireland] is from the exchange on? wouldnt it be easier for them to run fiber to these sub exchanges?

I have to wonder what your obsession with fibre is? Fibre runs all over the place, and exchange is exclusively a telephone thing, cable providers like NTL use nodes,wireless operators use base stations. How would it be easier to run fibre to these sub exchanges? there tiny in comparition to main exchanges and you couldn't fit equipment into them, they only service a hand full of areas and it isn't worth the costs involved.
    seriously whats with the fibre obsession? someone has a fedish

for a second there i forgot where i am and after reading the 26mbps vdsl connection speeds in sweden, i was thinking idea world, if they had fiber into these sub exchanges then they could provide xDSL further apart from the large inital investment it would realy bring the network up to date and provide huge amounts of bandwith for future use. i wasnt aware that this equiptment would be so bulky but if it was planned right like it is is sweden they could make a fortune.they should take the ryanair approach "pile'em high and sell'em cheap" if they had high speed connections to alot of houses they could offer loads of services such as video on demand,digital tv,multiple telephone lines,high speed internet.think about the amount of money you spend on these services:
    €50 sky digital + €100 install costs [costs sky €300 of the digi box]and sky+ when it comes out
    512/128kbps net connection €52 + €250 install costs [cost chorus around €500 for the client equiptment]
    telephone line rental €17.48 + €120 i think install costs + equiptment costs
    phone calls €60
    €10, DVD rentals
    €50 dvd + cd purchases

thats €239.48 per month we pay for telecomunications and content for 3 people + €470 setup costs and then the equiptment costs of €800 + phone equiptment. all of that + much more could be provided over one high speed connection for less and they can still make huge profits.thats my obsesion whith fiber

Ure imagination is running wild again..

only in dreams :) for ireland anyways.

are these boxes illegal, i never asked to be put on this and yet it seems i am, can i complain to comreg about it, would it be easy to remove my line from this sub junction box and have the line retested.

It seems now its all pointing to this as the reason my damn line wont pass

Regards

Shin

Ure imagination is running wild again..

only in dreams for ireland anyways.

ya i know its only my dreams but with a little foresite by the gov and eircom this could be a reality and they could make a fortune. all they need to do is take there head out of there arses

Originally posted by shinzon
    are these boxes illegal, i never asked to be put on this and yet it seems i am, can i complain to comreg about it, would it be easy to remove my line from this sub junction box and have the line retested.

It seems now its all pointing to this as the reason my damn line wont pass

Regards

Shin

Take me word, if you connected to one of these, it is the reason your line wont pass. Chances are all the phone lines in your area go into it and then back to the main exchange. I don't think they are illegal as they are completely different to spliters, which reduce the capacity of the line.

irishguy, its not that the new equipment is bulky, its that the old equepiment is, having seen inside one of these they are packed full of crap, im amazed you can even get isdn with them. I think i dslam get you and average or 180 ports and at a 50:1 ratio, you could provide allot of people with adsl from a sub exchange,but then you have to supple the pipe to the sub exchange and it all gets messy

thats why i was saying to run fiber into the sub exchanges so you can get the extra bandwith and offer all these extra services

• Advertisement
Advertisement