Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ethernet connection - IOL users

Options
  • 07-06-2003 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

This is a question for those who have purchased the broadband from Esat BT, does the modem have an ethernet connection? Because for Xbox Live you need this connection, also do you think it would be possible to import a starter kit from the UK and use it here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Detonated Sauce

Yes you can import a starter kit so I'm told and I think you would need a router to have two machines using the connection at once or otherwise you would have to plug out the connection from your pc modem everytime you want to use the xbox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

so it does include an ethernet connection? I wouldn't be on the net and xbox live at the same time anyway, it would cause lag most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

the esat modem is a usb one

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Better to get a router so that you can use services like GameSpy and Xbconnect (Halo! Brute Force! etc) online.

I bought a cheapish router at www.marx-computers.com for e155, but supports port-forwarding (Virtual Server) important so that you can host as well.
    it would cause lag most likely.

Welcome to the world of irish Xbox gaming! Lag you will get anyway...
    /me give envious looks at the pings of the finns, dutch, germans, swedes etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

what is a router basically? It just gives a connection for the ethernet?

I was looking at the website you mentioned and found this:

Compex Netpassage 15B Broadband Router
    supports Cable/DSL modem or Direct Ethernet connection
    suitable for eircom i-stream (modem required)
    enabling Internet sharing for up to 253 users
    1x RJ45 WAN, 4x RJ45 10/100 Lan
    with DHCP server, NAT-Firewall, IP packet filtering

Is that what Im looking for? Since IOL's broadband runs through the same lines I think they use the same kind of equipment, therefore it will work with IOL also?

• Advertisement
Advertisement