Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows equiv of batch files?

Options
  • 08-06-2003 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭

I remember reading in a magazine a tutorial about a windows batch file equivilant. I don't remember any thing else about it, except that it was written in some kind of BASIC... mabey.

Does anyone else know anything about this and how I could use it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭oneweb

If I read your question correctly, windows can do batch files just like unix can. This is done through the MS-DOS command subsystem. (Start | Run | command <enter>)

From the c:\> type the word - help -
    You'll be shown a list and explanation of commands that you can use

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

Most (if not all) versions of windows support vbscript files, which is a subset of vb. Just create a file with a .vbs extension and it will normally be associated with wscript.exe, or at the command line user wscript.exe myfile.vbs or cscript.exe myfil.vbs, cscript will write output to the command window whereas wscript will use windows messageboxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

So how do programme in .vbs files? Could you be a bit more specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

http://www.vbcity.com/default.asp

http://www.visualbasicforum.com/

There are loads of places on the NET for VB and VBscript which have loads on info on VB.
    The best way to learn it would be to get a book but its an easy Language to pick up.

What do you want to do with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I know how to programme in VB, it's the first language I learned, untill I leared Java in college. I'm just wondering about the specifics of this batch thinge. I just occasionally use DOS batch files and I'm wondering if there's any advantage of using em in Windows. That and curiosity. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

well there is a lot of advantages to using vb over say batch.
    with Vb you can script the same as in batch files but you also have the option to make a proper .exe which allows you to use more OS things such as API calls and such to acheive stuff not available in batch files. plus .bat files can basiaclly only do what DOS can do, whereas vbscript can work with windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/nhp/default.asp?contentid=28001169

MSDN is your friend for all things Microsoft.

VBScript allows you to work with COM. just about every windows application is COM enabled so it is great for scripting various functions you want to perform in windows.

Advertisement