Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seat Headlights

Options
  • 08-06-2003 12:56am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just curious if anyone else has a Seat car and has problems with the headlights?

The switch on mine has blown twice, from a Seat dealership it costs 115 (roughly) for a new switch unit, and 160 euro to fit.

Most of the places I called didn't actually have them, to quote two places, 'Its the one part that has to be replaced most often' and they had trouble keeping them in stock.

Anyone else get this??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

€275 to replace and fit a blown light switch?!*cough*

First rule with anything like this is dont buy it from a dealer! In fact a breakers yard should always be the first port of call.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

€275 to replace and fit a blown light switch?!*cough*

Wow what a rip off.

They are probably €10 from a breaker and take 10 mins to fit. If they keep failing that much then there must be a design fault. I'd write a letter to Seat and to a car mag (AutoCar etc). See if you can't get Seat to give you some of that back or at least a free service.

I remember that there used to be some electronic box on renaults that used to go and it cost £400 to replace as the part was only availble from the dealers. That was until somebody discovered that the same part was only a few quid from maplins and that it was a standard electronic componant and took about 5 mins to fit. There was a story about it in one of the UK car mags about a year or so ago.

On my old Honda the exhaust was £400 from the dealer (not fitting) but £160 incl fitting from an exhaust place and both were OEM and the same part.

Same on my old golf the fuel pump was £250 plus labour (2 hours)from the dealer. But was £80 (again all OEM parts) and 15 min mins for my local mechanic to fit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Actually,

The fist time the part went, I got one from a breakers yard for 45 euro.

The second time I got one, it was 35 euro.

It takes three minutes to fit. I was just concerned that there may be individuals out there paying the 275 euro to replace them...!

I remember that there used to be some electronic box on renaults that used to go and it cost £400 to replace as the part was only availble from the dealers.

Thats interesting....I have a Renault 19 as well....do you know when this part goes, what does it cause??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Silverfish
    Thats interesting....I have a Renault 19 as well....do you know when this part goes, what does it cause??

I thought R19's self destructed about 1995? I think the part was on a "newer" model.

Advertisement