Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

utvinternet v92 now upgraded ?

Options
  • 08-06-2003 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

can anyone confirm, that of this morning utvinternet is supporting v92 ?
    i have a v92 modem with netwaiting installed and this morning is the 1st time i have ever seen modem on hold working, maybe its imagination :) but modem did go on hold then resume
    thank u
    ger doherty

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 trunks

V92 is an telephony protocol,
    to verify you are going to have to get some one on you own exchange to test it out, since it's most likey localised to your exchange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭arkles

hello trunks
    thank you for your reply
    i live out in the sticks in co tipperary, so i would think if v92 was implemented in my exchange it would be available everywhere :)

mmm cool whose your telephone provider

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I think UTV ISP does support V.92 modems. I don't think there should be a problem. Let me know, how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

V92 doesnt require any exchange update; its just client modem, and the isps modem.

• Advertisement

V92 doesn't require any exchange update; its just client modem, and the ISPs modem

mmm that's not exactly true the ISP has to have to provide ISDN TA to get to the 56k any way,
    the feature modem on hold ,the faster logging and PCM Upstream
    on are all ready defined with isdn on the x 75 (well 64k upstream any way). some of the features v 44 could be implemented in the SW of the router or whatever

the real delay in setting local exchanges to be able to handle the signalling.

I suppose it one of those chicken and egg things

Did you contact your local telephone exchange?

I too am very interested in V.92 modems. I priced the plug in external ones at around €90.

Let us know of your progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

exchanges?? UTV have upgraded their equipment to v92, I've no idea what you mean by the exchange needs upgrading, as in at Eircom's end, I have never heard any mention of this :/

http://u.tv/support/ans.asp?id=435&category=modem

Though if you read through utv.support you'll find a lot of users having problems and not too many solutions ... if the exchanges are a problem I'd imagine utv would know about it and would be telling us.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Yes, I know what the ISP requires, but this exchange business is the first I've heard of, and I cant find any info from googling. Anyone I've ever spoken to, and any sites with info on V92 that I've read have never mentioned upgrades being necessary in the exchange, and I cant imagine why anything would be needed?

p.s. cork: rather than fork out the 90 euro and find that v92 doesn't work or doesn't work as well as you expected have a look around for a win-modem. If you don't have one yourself you'll know someone who does (common as much they are).

Many of these modems were bought when they were v90 and no driver upgrade to v92 was advertised because companies would rather sell you a brand "new" modem!! So, I'd check out the chipset model number and do a google for it and v92 to see if there is a driver that will let it use the v92 protocol.

I've got one sitting right here in front of me, upgraded to isdn partly because I had no v92 modem or ISP with v92 support (and partly cause it's way better ;)) and only today I find that if I download the generic lucent/agere drivers rather than the manufacturers it will become v92 .... might try it out and let you know how it goes ....

rob

• Advertisement

okay, I tried and failed with a 1646 lucent chipset, and messed up my isdn drivers while I was at it. So no luck there, not to say it's impossible, only that I was frustrated beyond my will to make it work

:)

So, Do you have to contact your local exchange or contact your isp provider?

I vote ISP :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

UTV have had their modems updgrade to v92 for a good while now. All of their modems in the Republic are upgraded but there are still some in N. Ireland that need to be upgraded.

Advertisement