Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What van to choose

Options
  • 08-06-2003 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

I was just wonfering what small van would be the best for me. I am a young driver and insurance will be very high. I need it for work as i am starting my trade this summer. Any suggestions????????????????????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How small is samll? Citroen Berlingo or Fiat Scudo or something ratty and old like an ex post office C15? Actually the C15 made a very good workhorse. Dirt cheap to.

http://www.buyandsell.ie/scripts/lootsite.dll?MfcISAPICommand=Search&FirstClass=1000000&LastClass=9269999&query=Citroen+berlingo&Location=0-15&Option=0&dbVersion=0

Auctions can be a good source of cheap vans.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭BeatTun

pricey enuff but the renault megavan (megane van) would be the more attractive choice

or the citroen xsara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭gazmond141014

I am lookin for something small as in 1.1 cause i would get done over with insurance. I am only 17. I am starting electrician hopefully. I was thinking bout an auction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭tech

What about a 306 Im currently driving one in the last year and a half I have put up nearly 100k with no major problems, just regular serviving and tyres, It needed new discs and pads and a timing belt but that is all normal for the mileage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A 1.1 litre engine?, so were in Fista/Corsa territory which will do fine for short distances but you'll have to be aware of thrashed examples. Auctions will maily have diesel examples, use the link I gave you above to look for small Fords and Opels.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

hmmmm

At that age it'll cost you. try and find a micra cos they're cheap to buy run and insure. getting that bit less common nowadays. Check out the insurance on a diesel. It may be ridiculous, but it may not be that bad relative to a petrol.

How much can you afford to spend?

check out quinn-direct.ie as a source for guidline quotes before going any further.

if you can afford a diesel then a renault 19 or a peugeot 306 would be good options, there is also the ubiqutous corolla, but they are overpriced, and forget about the golf vans, they are crazy money.

Van's aren't as cheap to buy as people think either, so don't expect to get too much for cheap.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭gazmond141014

Ya i was thinking of a 306. The only reason i would get a van cause the insurance might be a bit cheaper cause i would be using it for work. I wanna spend bout €3000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Bear in mind if you do use the van to earn a living, then you will probably have to take out a commercial policy rather a private motoring policy, which will probably cost more.

You have to decide what you are getting the van for - is it just as a vehicle for getting around in more conveniently than getting lifts or using public transport, or will your earning a living depend on having it all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

I got rid of my civic when i started my own business and bought a vw caddy. Civic insurance was nearly 5000. Van is just over 2000. The civic was a 1.3. The caddy is a 1.9TDI and is a feckin rocket. It drives like a car and is very comfortable. Maybe a bit too big for what you are saying but definatly get a TDI of some kind. Excellent Torque. I was looking at a corrolla van or maybe the 306 van before i got this and took both of them for spins. Lovely to drive but as they said dont buy a **** heap. You want to make money with you van not spend money getting it fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

oh and in my experiance you CANT get a van or carvan insured under a private policy. I was trying to go that road but no.

Advertisement