Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shenmue 2

Options
  • 08-06-2003 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

Got this, have to say the american voices arent that annoying, havent played original on dreamcast so cant compare them, just need to ask a question really, played for the first 15 minutes and all iseemed to be doing is running around after this kid who stole my bag earlier in the game

then i got to this hotel where i booked into a hotel on the advice of the bird on the bike. I hope this isnt all that the games about

please restore my faith, does the game open up a bit more after this

regards

Shin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Not really no, theres a hell of a lot of just toing and froing from what I can make out and it gets rather tedious to be honest. I haven't played the entire game through so I don't really know for sure whether or not things change drastically but for the most part you just get told a vague hint about where something is, go to that region and ask around. Eventually after about 10 people say "go ask a local, I don't live here" you find someone who can point you in the right direction. You just have to hope too that they do point you rather than feeling the urge to show you themselves in which case your screwed as they seem to walk at the slowest pace possible. Oh dear that didn't sound like much of a reassurance but to be honest as much as I would have liked to be emerged in 80s Hong Kong it just didn't quite click with me in the way that I would have liked and god damn it those controls were just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by Sloth
    Not really no, theres a hell of a lot of just toing and froing from what I can make out and it gets rather tedious to be honest. I haven't played the entire game through so I don't really know for sure whether or not things change drastically but for the most part you just get told a vague hint about where something is, go to that region and ask around. Eventually after about 10 people say "go ask a local, I don't live here" you find someone who can point you in the right direction. You just have to hope too that they do point you rather than feeling the urge to show you themselves in which case your screwed as they seem to walk at the slowest pace possible. Oh dear that didn't sound like much of a reassurance but to be honest as much as I would have liked to be emerged in 80s Hong Kong it just didn't quite click with me in the way that I would have liked and god damn it those controls were just awful.

oh well ill just chalk it up to experience lol, its not that bad really just that there isnt an oomph to it to get you hooked

regards
    shin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The game is an experience. It's like Xenogears, you won't realise how good it is until you finish it and have a good think about the game. Trust me my friend really regretted selling Shenmue 1 and now desperately wants it back.

I thought the first one was better, it was more focused due to it's smaller setting and felt more personal because of that. There was a hell of a lot of waiting around in it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Ryo: "I want to ask you something. It's about that day."
    Molloy: "Oh, the day the rivers ran red and this turd of a 'game' was foisted upon us?"

I never regret I got rid of Shenmue for a second.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

One of my favourite games !
    Never got bored of Shenmue 2 for one second
    well maybe on the last cd, but that was just a build up for the 3rd installment and btw is it ever coming out??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Shenmue 3 isn't in development yet. Sega are thinking about it.

The first game was one of the most expensive games ever made and met with muted responses so its not certain if it's worth it.

AM2 are a fantastically talented team and I'd rather see them work on more original concepts. If they can continue to knock out 5 arcade games of the quality of Virtua Fighter 4 in the time it takes to do one Shenmue installment I hope they never do another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

"Do you know where sailors hang out?"
    "Do you know where i might find some sailors?"

Shenmue 3 - the search for some sailors.
    Please, don't compare xenogears and this thing, its not fair!

Don't forget his standard answer to everything "i See"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Yeah The Voice actors can be annoying, but you wouldnt realise most of them have american accents.
    I hope this isnt all that the games about

Definitely Not. You have made a worthwhile purchase.

Oh yeah, if your short of money, just sell as many of the capsule toys as possible and play the game "Roll it on top"

You can win $500 each time. Save Often though.
    Shenmue 3 isn't in development yet. Sega are thinking about it.

True, but many people are expecting a major announcement by December.

I havent actually had time to play shenmue 2 since i checked into that hotel but will get back into it tomorrow before i goto work, it seems theres a lot more under the cover than i at first thought.

regards
    Shin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

"excuse me, have you seen a black car?"
    Pah. Shenmue 1 was great in what it TRIED to accomplish, it had great scope, and the kind of innovation sadly missing from most games lately, and maybe its because i havent played it in a while but i seem to remember the graphics being brilliant (and pissing all over anything the ps2 was capable of at the time) but god, if i had to hear Ryo ask one more person had they seen a black car id slit his throat and dance naked in the spray of blood squirting from his jugular.
    Roll on Shenmue 3, but lets hope they remove all black cars and boring NPC conversations. And add a few nude scenes and some car chases. Just like what the bible needs to jazz it up.

In Shenmue 2 I was trying the find a job other than that crappy lucky hit stand job but no matter who I asked all I got was:
    "I think theres someone in the South Carmain quarter who owns a lucky hit stand"
    "Theres a man in the South Carmain quarter who needs an assitant for his lucky hit stand"
    "There is a job in the South Carmain quarter at the lucky hit stand, you might ask there"

So while the responses got a bit more varied in the sequel they were still just as boring.

I gave the gamea good going over today about 2 hours, i got as far as trying to figure out what the 4 wedu is, please dont tell me lol itll spoil the surprise.

I did get offered another 2 jobs, one was carrying crates on the dock the other was with a green grocer down the street from the guesthouse.

How far ive gotten havent a clue, but tis getting a bit interesting now

Regards
    Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭mystik

Loved Shenmue 1. That house-keeper one was really freaky, kept following me around.:( Loved the forklift job, but the crate lifting in Shenmue 2 was one of the worst part of any game I'v ever played!!!:mad: :mad:

Did u notice in Shenmue that everyone EXCEPT had a good accent apart from Ryo!!I got Shenmue 2 for DC with only english subtitles so i can't comment on the crappiness of their accents.

Tho they were one of the most boring and frustrating games i've ever played they still hold a special place in my cold heart and I may go back and finnish no2 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Never played the first one, but I loved the second one. Hurry up and make 3!!!!

Advertisement