Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Sign Steve Finnan

• 08-06-2003 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

.....according to Sky Sports News today we have "agreed terms". There i a press conference tomorrow, and ho could be the solution to our width problem, now that we have 2 attacking full backs. whatcha think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

Hope so. That means he would be good for ireland then. how old is he? 28?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Hes 27. He'd certainly be a good buy for Liverpool. Should do his Ireland prospects no harm at all either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭steveocn300

yeah I would have to agree it would be great if Duffer moves to a bigger club hopefully Liverpool and maybe Carr move aswell and Reid move to the premiership, it would be great for Ireland to have our top stars playing big time football with top clubs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Good singing for Liverpool and can't do Finnan any harm either.
    I never thought carragher was a good player and now Finnan will take his spot. Should help Liverpool no end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

1 down...

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Always nice to have an Irish International player or two on the squad! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by steveocn300
    yeah I would have to agree it would be great if Duffer moves to a bigger club hopefully Liverpool and maybe Carr move aswell and Reid move to the premiership, it would be great for Ireland to have our top stars playing big time football with top clubs!

Y'know Blackburn aren't exactly a small club, and I reckon they'll improve under Souness....

Would winning a Premiership title be requisit for being a big club, if so, he's already at one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Johnny Gomez

Thats a great move for Finnan and I agree that its a good thing to see Irish players playing for the top Premiership teams.
    I agree I don't think Blackburn are a small club either, I mean they did only finish one place behind Liverpool. They're both in Europe aswell, so Duff is already at a "big" club. They only real difference between the clubs I think is Liverpools history and their huge fan base. But basically what I'm saying is Duff is definitely not at a small club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭steveocn300

Yeah I apologise about the Duff comment about being at a big club but I wasnt slagging off Blackburn I just meant BIG as in Arsenal, Man Utd or Liverpool thats all.
    Hopefully Finnan will sign tomorrow then we can concentrate on Cisse's signature then hopefully Duff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Phew! Now Jamie Carragher can get back on the bench where he belongs. In fairness to him he's never let us down in defense, he's just lacking in ability going forward. Bring on Djibril and Damo "You'll Never Walk Alone" Duff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

What's all this BIG PREMIERSHIP team talk....he's with Liverpool ffs :)

no troll intended :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by Space_Coyote
    Phew! Now Jamie Carragher can get back on the bench where he belongs. In fairness to him he's never let us down in defense, he's just lacking in ability going forward.

Maybe you should be looking for a few decent midfielders so that you're not relying on a defender then, eh?

I'd have thought that a reliable defender would be an asset for a team, not a liability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

As a Ireland fan i am delighted. but theres is still the question of which two of our 5 full backs will get starting positons Harte, Kelly, O`Shea, Finnan, Carr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

BIG as in Arsenal, Man Utd or Liverpool thats all

cmon get real it's 13 or 14 years since the pool last won the league how can you consider them as one of the "big" teams anymore???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by s8n
    cmon get real it's 13 or 14 years since the pool last won the league how can you consider them as one of the "big" teams anymore???

Hmmm lets see now, 44,000 home gates, 6 cups in the last few years,
    finnishing 4,3,2 and er 5th :eek: many players in national teams...well its bigger than most!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

They're one of the most supported teams in the world.

Whats your definition of "big" if not that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I'm so pissed you bastards are going to get him, over 200 games for Fulham he is a really great player.

Wait till you see his work rate constantly getting forward with the ball and always back to make tackles one of the best right backs in the game in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Originally posted by The FANJ
    I'm so pissed you bastards are going to get him

I take offence to that!

I think it's great hopefully it will work out well for him there!

Whats your definition of "big" if not that?

"big" teams nowadays are the ones constantly winning and contesting the major trophies i.e. the premiership and champions league. The uefa cup is a joke, and the fa/league cup are second rate competitions now. It's fantastic to be well supported (like everton) :rolleyes: but until they win the premiership, liverpool can't be considered one of the "big" teams in england anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

I think its good for Ireland,back row should now be,

Given
    Carr Cunningham O Shea Finnan

hopefully carr will go to newcastle!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Good signing for scouse, hope houllier does not ruin him. Did not realise that he was 27, got him at the best time, at least 5 more years left in him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Originally posted by s8n
    "big" teams nowadays are the ones constantly winning and contesting the major trophies i.e. the premiership and champions league. The uefa cup is a joke, and the fa/league cup are second rate competitions now. It's fantastic to be well supported (like everton) :rolleyes: but until they win the premiership, liverpool can't be considered one of the "big" teams in england anymore

Stop talking rubbish. What you are implying there are that the only big teams in England are Aresenal, Utd and Blackburn. Since winning the premiership Blackburn have been relegated so by your theories that would mean that while playing in Div. 1 they were one of the three biggest teams in England. And since when is the FA Cup a second rate trophy, most English bread players consider it a bigger honour than the UEFA cup. It's the biggest cup competition in England. How is it second rate?? :rolleyes:

Back to the thread, nothing has been confirmed from Merseyside but it will go though today I'd say. A great signing and that should finalise our wing back problems of late. Hopefully now Carra will be firts choice back up for cebtre half position.

(BTW didn't mean to be offensive up above just trying to get my point accross :))
    :)

What you are implying there are that the only big teams in England are Aresenal, Utd and Blackburn.

I never said anything about blackburn being one of the "big" teams. My original point was (and still is) that liverpool cannot be considered among the top clubs in england at the moment no matter how there fans try to gloss over it.
    If anything a move from blackburn to liverpool for duff would only be a move sideways at the moment as liverpool cannot offer him anything that blackburn can't (i.e. Uefa cup football)

Originally posted by s8n
    I never said anything about blackburn being one of the "big" teams. My original point was (and still is) that liverpool cannot be considered among the top clubs in england at the moment no matter how there fans try to gloss over it.
    If anything a move from blackburn to liverpool for duff would only be a move sideways at the moment as liverpool cannot offer him anything that blackburn can't (i.e. Uefa cup football)

It was me who suggested originally brought in the championship team being a big club. I don't actually mean you have to win the championship to be a big club, but what you want to look at when you are judging a club is how well are they likely to do.

I would rate Blackburns chances of making the Champions League next season as much the same as Liverpools (if Duff were to stay).

If you are talking about a big club in terms of fan base, squad strength and money then I would put Liverpool in the 2nd tier with the likes of Blackburn, Chelsea and maybe Leeds.

Utd, Arsenal and Newcastle (no, they haven't won anything but the have a large very strong squad and have progressed steadily over the last few years) are by far and away the three biggest clubs in this regard.

For Duff, a move outside of those three clubs, while staying in England, is a bad one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by sykeirl
    I would rate Blackburns chances of making the Champions League next season as much the same as Liverpools (if Duff were to stay).
    But still both have a better chance of CL qualification than your team Forest being promoted within the next five years.

Also Liverpool have three of the last four England captains (Owen, Heskey and Carragher!) - very impressive.

Originally posted by p.pete
    But still both have a better chance of CL qualification than your team Forest being promoted within the next five years.

Also Liverpool have three of the last four England captains (Owen, Heskey and Carragher!) - very impressive.

Don't dispute Forests position for a second. Its not really the issue of the thread, just you being petty.

I assume you see the farce in your second statement.

I assume you see the farce in your second statement.
    Not farce, it actually happened.

Sorry about belittling Forest, it was quicker to do than pointing out that almost everything else in your post was complete nonsense. I will do that later when I have the energy if nobody else has done it by then.

Not farce, it actually happened.

Sorry about belittling Forest, it was quicker to do than pointing out that almost everything else in your post was complete nonsense. I will do that later when I have the energy if nobody else has done it by then.

So lets get this straight, you resorted to trying to flame me instead of actually putting forward a thought-out construtive response to what you disagree with in my post?

Opps, you did it again.....

So lets get this straight, you resorted to trying to flame me instead of actually putting forward a thought-out construtive response to what you disagree with in my post?

Opps, you did it again.....
    You were talking about Liverpools chances of getting into the Champions League. I can see a link to this and Finnan joining Liverpool - as it improves our chances, but I don't think you were saying anything like that - so you too were getting a little off topic.

We were trying to weigh up the respective merits of teams and I think comparing teams chances of qualifying for the CL is no more valid than a comparison with teams trying to gain promotion, they are all after all in the same football association playing in the same country.

In terms of me flaming you - I don't think I said anything negative about you, only Forest and their merits as a football team.

• Advertisement

Rick Parry has confirmed that Liverpool FC have agreed terms with player and club and the transfer will be completed at the end of this month when the player puts pen to paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I'm a liverpool fan, but has anyone noticed that youg Irish talent has a history of just dying at liverpool.
    Jason McAteer
    Phill Babb
    Mark Kennedy

Certainly Mark Kennedy had a whole lot more potential than he ever showed at Liverpool, he should have developed a lot further during those years.

McAteer was hardly young when he joined. There was a problem with him being played in a different position than what he was used to with Bolton. For them he was in the middle of the pitch and ran everywhere which was never going to be an option in the Premiership - having said that, he was wasted.

Babb was given every chance - I was over at a match when he was in the team and the crowd were dying to give him a bit of support. He would do something brilliant to great applause but the move would be finished off by him passing it to the opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Wasnt it Bill Shankly that said, "theres first place and then there's nowhere"

Not so big.

I don't think he said that but if he did it puts Liverpool in the same place as Arsenal et all.

He said
    'If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.'
    So he was talking about Arsenal:D

• Advertisement

You were talking about Liverpools chances of getting into the Champions League. I can see a link to this and Finnan joining Liverpool - as it improves our chances, but I don't think you were saying anything like that - so you too were getting a little off topic.

We were trying to weigh up the respective merits of teams and I think comparing teams chances of qualifying for the CL is no more valid than a comparison with teams trying to gain promotion, they are all after all in the same football association playing in the same country.

In terms of me flaming you - I don't think I said anything negative about you, only Forest and their merits as a football team.

True, it was off topic, but Duff moving to 'pool is at least slightly related to the topic. For the record, Finnan moving to liverpool would be a good thing.

However, no matter how off topic the discussion was regarding Duff and his moving to a big club. Your contribution was just petty childishness. We were discussing the merits of Duff moving to a bigger club, and what is termed as a big club. I merely gave an opinion on that subject.

You brought up a completely irrelevent tangent to slag me, hence an attempt to start a flaming match. But like, whatever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

After the Heskey transfer, this transfer has to be the worst kept secret in the Premiership. The deal was initially proposed at Christmas and there have been numerous leaks since then.

"If Duff were to stay" is looking a little unlikely - whether he will join pool or not is a completly different story but at the moment they are close to losing both Duff and Dunn. Add to this the fact that Cole and Yorke are both a year older and nearer retirement. They have Suker now, but did anyone notice how bad he had gotten during the World Cup? The bulk of their squad is made of rejects from other teams - Gillespie, Fridal and Flitcroft for starters.

To put it mildly I think the chances of Blackburn doing as well next season is slim - they will be lucky to last more than 2 rounds this year in the Uefa cup also. Even if they do manage to hold onto Duff I don't see them getting a Uefa spot next season, nevermind the CL.

If you are talking about a big club in terms of fan base, squad strength and money then I would put Liverpool in the 2nd tier with the likes of Blackburn, Chelsea and maybe Leeds.
    Let me take this one at a time.

Fan base: Add the number of Chelsea, Leeds and Blackburn fans together that you know and I think you will still know more Liverpool fans. You can even through Newcastle fans onto the figure and it won't change much.

Squad strength: This is always going to be an arguable point and I won't get into it here.

Money: Liverpools income is higher than Arsenals according to statistics in World Soccer magazine. That is nothing related to turnover and Arsenal would always gripe that they are going to build a new stadium, but so are Liverpool. In terms of teams being associated with signings this summer Leeds lost out to sign Berger and the other teams you mentioned are keeping quiet. Liverpools transfer budget obviously can't match United but so far we're linked to Yakin, Duff, Anderson, Cisse and we have just bought Finnan - obviously someone out there thinks there is money to go around.

Utd, Arsenal and Newcastle (no, they haven't won anything but the have a large very strong squad and have progressed steadily over the last few years) are by far and away the three biggest clubs in this regard.
    I won't try to claim that Liverpool deserve to be rated up with Arsenal and Utd, can just hope that they will be within 2 or 3 seasons.

I reckon there is a second tier with Liverpool, Chelsea and Newcastle. You claim Newcastle have been progessing steadily which they have been. I would say they are comparable to Liverpool in the league over the last few seasons, all top five finishes. In terms of recent silverware Newcastle and Chelsea don't come close.

"If Duff were to stay" is looking a little unlikely - whether he will join pool or not is a completly different story but at the moment the are close to losing both Duff and Dunn. Add to this the fact that Cole and Yorke are both a year older and nearer retirement. They have Suker now, but did anyone notice how bad he had gotten during the World Cup? The bulk of their team is made of rejects from other teams - Gillespie, Fridal and Flitcroft for starters.

As much as I dislike Sounes's persona, you have to give him credit considering how much better Blackburn have come along under him. I think he would have been one of the top 3 managers this season.

As far as rejects go, Fridal was the premiership Gk of the season.
    You could argue that Real Socieadad is made up of nobodies and rejects (3 of them ex-liverpool) and look at them! You don't need big million pound players to win everything, and La Liga, which in my estimation is at the very least equal with the Premiership, proves that (ok, they haven't won it yet..but Socieadad would be the spanish equivilent to Birmingham. What you need is a selection of good honest players and a good manager who can bring the best out of them. Blackburn have that.

To put it mildly I think the chances of Blackburn doing as well next season are slim - they will be lucky to last more than 2 rounds this year in the Uefa cup also. Even if they do manage to hold onto Duff I don't see them getting a Uefa spot next season, nevermind the CL.

I disagree. I think Souness will probably strengthen his squad sensibly over the summer and I'd expect Blackburn to progress on last season, making the Uefa spot and having some good cup runs. The loss of Duff and Dunn will be bad, but if they bring in new faces on the market and thru the ranks.(and Blackburn youth academy is very strong) it may not be as big a blow.

Let me take this one at a time.
    You are of course right in your points, but by gate receipts and season ticket holders I don't imagine there is much difference. Plus, we are in Ireland, and most clubs supported here have a strong Irish link, which is why you have so many Liverpool supporters (there *was* a strong Irish link at least).

As far as tranfer rumours go, its very early, and Liverpool have their name in the papers more than others mainly beacuse they need an overhaul drastically!

I won't try to claim that Liverpool deserve to be rated up with Arsenal and Utd, can just hope that they will be within 2 or 3 seasons. I reckon there is a second tier with Liverpool, Chelsea and Newcastle. You claim Newcastle have been progessing steadily. I would say they are comparable to Liverpool in the league over the last few seasons, all top five finishes. In terms of silverware Newcastle and Chelsea don't come close.

Newcastle have laid down an infrastructure. When Robson says Newcastle have a longterm plan, you can see it, its tangible in the progress of the club in the league and in the club set up and squad. In this sense, Newcastle are a big club with ambition. Whether it is realised is another matter.

Liverpool have tried the same, but Houllier, unlike Robson has given little tangible evidence of his 5 year plan. To me they look like a team who just had a disasterous year trying to overhaul their squad. If I were a premier league player and I wanted a chance to win a major trophy next season, I know where I'd go and it would be to the North.

I agree with most of the points you made. Certainly Souness did an excellent job last season and fair play to him if he can keep it up.

Real Sociedad won the league with what by Spanish standards can only be considered a week squad - I agree with you there but I don't really see the link with what you were talking about. The only thing it really goes to show is that squad strength isn't necesarily something you need to weigh too heavily when deciding what makes a big team.
    I think Souness will probably strengthen his squad sensibly
    Souness has no option but to strengthen his squad sensibly as they have no money - unless of course they sell some key players. By this I mean Duff, which would cripple a lot of their strikers as they will find it hard to replace the quality balls that he puts into the box for them. The money they once had is now long gone.
    by gate receipts and season ticket holders I don't imagine there is much difference.
    Your probably right, which is why they want to move to a bigger stadium - cause they know they can fill it, ditto Arsenal.
    Plus, we are in Ireland, and most clubs supported here have a strong Irish link, which is why you have so many Liverpool supporters (there *was* a strong Irish link at least).
    You are right, there is a strong Irish link. With the signing of Finnan this should be improved - Duff would be great (I can always dream).

I think it is silly to say that I only percieve them to be big because I am in Ireland. They are supported in England outside of Liverpool. They are also very popular in other parts of the world where English soccer is supported, i.e. Scandanavia, Australia, Eastern Europe, Australia, most of Asia....
    As far as tranfer rumours go, its very early, and Liverpool have their name in the papers more than others mainly beacuse they need an overhaul drastically!
    Very rash words indeed for someone so eridite. Whats needed more than anything is a change to how we actually play football. As you pointed out with Sociedad it is not necessary to spend massive. A strike partner for Owen and an attacking midfielder is what we need.

Newcastle have laid down an infrastructure. When Robson says Newcastle have a longterm plan, you can see it, its tangible in the progress of the club in the league and in the club set up and squad. In this sense, Newcastle are a big club with ambition. Whether it is realised is another matter.
    Thats great for Newcastle, liverpool have also spent a lot on an overhaul of their Melwood facilities. They have also produced a lot of youth players over the last ten years. Unfortunately a lot of it gets ignored for the sake of signing players from outside. Partridge would be a great example of someone who is missing out.

• Advertisement

Wow, when you argue long enough you end up agreeing on most points ;) just goes to show, eh?!
    Real Sociedad won the league with what by Spanish standards can only be considered a week squad - I agree with you there but I don't really see the link with what you were talking about. The only thing it really goes to show is that squad strength isn't necesarily something you need to weigh too heavily when deciding what makes a big team.

My point was, a good manager can make his own stars. Sociedad's squad is quite small, but their players were mostly unknowns before this season. In fact, barring the aging Valery Karpin and Javier De Pedro, Nihat and Darko Kovacevic, their players are unknown outside the spanish league. Now the likes of Xabi Alonso are being hunted by Utd and Real. If teams like blackburn had the same sort of managerial philosophy as Raynald Denoueix instills in Sociedad, then the premiership would be a closer race.

I think it is silly to say that I only percieve them to be big because I am in Ireland. They are supported in England outside of Liverpool. They are also very popular in other parts of the world where English soccer is supported, i.e. Scandanavia, Australia, Eastern Europe, Australia, most of Asia.....

No, what I was saying was, the reason I know more Liverpool supporters than I do supporters of other clubs, is because of the Irish influence. If I lived by the Tyne, I imagine I'd know few pool fans. There are strong influences in those countries (or there has been at times) due to past players, but pool fans are vastly outnumbered by, say, Utd fans outside of UK.
    Very rash words indeed for someone so eridite. Whats needed more than anything is a change to how we actually play football. As you pointed out with Sociedad it is not necessary to spend massive. A strike partner for Owen and an attacking midfielder is what we need.

All I said was liverpool needed an overhaul. This is true. Houllier seems to be approaching it by buying players, I dont think this is the correct attitude. I think a new system and perhaps new manager is needed. Either way, its back to the start of the five year plan he had.

Thats great for Newcastle, liverpool have also spent a lot on an overhaul of their Melwood facilities. They have also produced a lot of youth players over the last ten years. Unfortunately a lot of it gets ignored for the sake of signing players from outside. Partridge would be a great example of someone who is missing out.
    YEah, I agree, if there is one thing that really annoys me its the fact that Pool and Arsenal have basically ingnored their youth in the past few years. I think Owen was the last one to come though. I don't particularly think they don't have good youth players (why waste money on the after all), its just they seem to buy them in.

Finnan is a fairly astute buy. He's a full back that can pass at range very well and he gets forward. My fear is that the Liverpool system and Houlliers ineptitude as a manager, may set his career backwards. Its a done deal now anyway, Finnan agreed terms at lunch time.

All I said was liverpool needed an overhaul. This is true. Houllier seems to be approaching it by buying players, I dont think this is the correct attitude. I think a new system and perhaps new manager is needed. Either way, its back to the start of the five year plan he had.
    Why do you think there is a need for an overhaul? In what positions is this overhaul needed. Do you not think it is possible to move forward from the postion they are in?

Defensively we have been one of the best for the last few seasons. Although last season was a bit poor in this regard we still conceeded fewer goals then Arsenal, Newcastle and Blackburn. We were unfortunate with injuries and Finnan should give more strength (plus you'll be happy if Caragher isn't there punting the ball forward). So no overhaul needed in the Defence.

Gerrard has been patchy due to personal problems and injuries but is still a player of great potential who will only get better. Hamman will hopefully stay and alongside Gerrard that makes a decent base for the midfield. There has been an obvious lacking in terms of width and attacking Midfield options. This is why players like Yakin and Duff are being considered. That would allow Riise to go back to left back and with Finnan on the Right we would have two players running forward from Defence. So impovements needed in midfield but hardly an overhaul.

Perhaps the wide player could be Richie Partridge which would mean no players being bought.

At the moment up front there is Owen and Baros or Heskey. There is a definite need for a quality striker, hopefully Cisse to come in there.

I really don't see why you think there is a need for an overhaul. As for restarting a five year plan that is just silly. As usual Liverpool are only a few players short of being a decent team.

p.pete you've hit the nail on the head. I agree that there is no overhaul needed. Just strengthening certain areas of the park - in particular the right back position, an attcking midfielder, a left winger and a striker that can come straight in and partner Owen.

Finnan has been bought. I suppose GH will get Yakin (and even if he doesn't I reckon with more football Cheryou will do well there)but it still leaves a problem position on the left wing. The realistic answer is Duff but whether GH can take him from Blackburn is another question. The situation is the same with Cisse. But to bring in both of these he will have to sell and with Biscan, Smicer and Hamann rumoured to be on the way out that might be what he is thinking too. Also sell Heskey for a few million.

Anywho, why are ye going so off topic. A non-Liverpool fan and a Liverpool fan are never going to agree ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

what is the point in getting a creative midfield player or even a wing-back that likes to get forward when GH's style is to just knock the ball over the top to owen from any position. His style bypasses the midfield, look at the amount of times Stephen Gerard comes and takes the ball off the centreof defense and plays the ball over the top. He's not feeding it out to the wings, nothing. This isnt a critism of the invidual player, its a critism of the managers tactics. I'll hold my hands up and admit im a United fan, but I always loved watching Liverpool play because they played proper passing football. I cant stand to watch Liverpool thesedays. It kills me when united lose to Arsenal, but at least I can hold up my arms and say Arsenal played great passing and attacking football, I can respect that. I know a huge amount of Liverpool fans who are lifelong supporters, they cannot stand watching Liverpool anymore(these arent ppl who just jumped on the band wagon when Liverpool won the treble, they made several trips to Anfield every year until this season). The only way Liverpool will move forward is if they get rid of GH.

Why do you think there is a need for an overhaul? In what positions is this overhaul needed. Do you not think it is possible to move forward from the postion they are in?

I think they will find it difficult to adapt to playing with two attacking wingers and maintain their defensive strength.

Liverpools defensive record is down to the fact that they defend with everybody but Owen. Unless you have very fit and pacey wingers (Duff isn't especially pacey) and a team of very good passers (I'd say 3 in Gerrard, Hamman and now Finnan) its hard to revert from a deep defensive position to an attacking one without punting the ball (in which case why by skillfull wingers?).

Liverpool need another decent striker (or two) and good midfield cover. They have had no more injuries than any other team this year (especially Utd) the difference is, they have no cover.

I'd say Liverpool need to decide what their playing style is and develop to suit. If they are sticking to the same game plan, they need about 4-5 new players and they are wasting their time looking for players like Duff, who will be ruined if asked to spend half the game at full back.

If they are changing their tactics to a more passing game (pleeeeease god!!!) then they still need to bring in a few players who can play to that system, Partridge and Foley-Sheridan are 2 liverpool reserve players who should make the team!

Originally posted by jonno

Anywho, why are ye going so off topic. A non-Liverpool fan and a Liverpool fan are never going to agree ;)
    I was just humouring a Forest fan, he doesn't get to talk football very often:p (I'll be accused of flaming again, so I'll say sorry now).

Talla, I agree with you - the way we play we wouldn't need the entire midfield except for defending, which is the way things quite often are unfortunately. One of my points was though that we don't need an overhall - just a change in approach and in that regard an attacking midfielder would be useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

If they are changing their tactics to a more passing game (pleeeeease god!!!) then they still need to bring in a few players who can play to that system, Partridge and Foley-Sheridan are 2 liverpool reserve players who should make the team!
    Neither will make it at Liverpool. They haven't progressed as expected in the past couple of seasons.

Partridge was sent on loan to Coventry in the hope that first team football would help him develop his potential, unfortunately his form has been patchy at best. Gary McAllister wanted to make the move to Coventry a permanent one prior to getting the loan deal, now that the season is over Coventry's interest in Partridge has cooled. Dario Gradi wants to take him on loan at Crewe for next season as a squad player.

Foley-Sheridan is expected to be released next summer when his contract expires unless there's a major improvement next season. He hasn't had the expected impact since his promotion to Melwood.

Advertisement