Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikaruga fullscreen question

Options
  • 08-06-2003 2:03pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Just want to ask how clever would I be if I got my beautiful 28' widesceen tv that I swindled from my parents because my ma didn't like the colour and turned it on it's side so I could play Ikaruga in fullscreen since it looks much better that way. Also what would the consequences be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

i think you might be picking large chunks of glass from your face adn the faces of everyone in the room if you tried that little bit of madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

No particular consequences, as long as you can prop the whole thing up securely. Most TVs have quite rounded sides and really aren't designed to sit sideways.

Personally, I was rather glad to have a projector that's designed to sit up on its side just as easily as on its base. Mmmm, Ikaruga 8 feet high on my living room wall :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

you would most likely crush the speakers on the side of the tv resting on the ground, i certainly wouldnt turn my 28inch flatscreen on its side. it would be ok with a smaller portable tv but not a 28inch behemoth.

anyway, sod your gc and ikarugas im gonna play some dodonpachi now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

If you do decide to do it remember to unplug it and leave it to sit for 5 minutes before returning it to its original position. You have to let it degauss or the colours get messed up.

I can't wait for Psyvariar on the PS2. It's a wonder it secured a PAL release at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I ****ed up my last pc monitor trying to play mercs before discovering that you could flip the screen in mame. I'll give it a miss and just lie on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

turning a tv on its side can cause saturation and is not advised!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

ok this might be a newbish question, but why the hell are you turning your tv on it's side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

ok this might be a newbish question, but why the hell are you turning your tv on it's side?

Ikaruga is a vertical scrolling 2D shoot-em-up. As such it has an option to run rotated 90 degrees. This is because the aspect ratio of televisions offers a longer axis in the horizontal plane (i.e. 4:3 in conventional, 16:9 in widescreen).

This makes sense in the case of a vertical shooter because more screen area can be devoted to the axis upon which the game operates.

Hence turning the telly on its side.

P.S. As an aside, does the Game Cube version offer any enhancements over the Dreamcast version (which I have)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

Originally posted by Shinji
    Personally, I was rather glad to have a projector that's designed to sit up on its side just as easily as on its base. Mmmm, Ikaruga 8 feet high on my living room wall :)

I thought playing consoles on projectors damaged them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They only damage them if you leave a static image on for too long, such as when you pause it, or if you play on it too much. Knowing Shinji there is probably some parts of Xenosaga already burnt into the image.

• Advertisement

Oopsy. If you have the dreamcast Ikaruga then its not worth getting the GC version. All that is new (I think) is that some of the slow down has been sorted out (not that it was all that bad on the DC) and there are a few small extras such as the ability to play the game in the prototypemode were you collect bullets by absorbing them, and some videos that show you how best to beat areas that you have clear without using a credit (unfortunately it doesn't show you how to get the best combo).

Advertisement