Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Word

Options
  • 08-06-2003 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

Ms Word got accidently uninstalled.

I have the cd for installing that i got when I bought the pc but the password is missing.

Anyone know a way around this?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

regedit - F3 - ProductID will find the serial NUMBER
    unless you are using a version with the 25 character alpha numeric key.. - in which case the serial number is no use.

You should have got a cert of authenticity or there should be a sticker on the PC for some oem ones... you coud try and contact tech support - but if you have lost the license to use the sw then from a legal point of view you lost the license to use the sw......

(if it's XP then there should be a way of getting your reg back off M$ site - I said "should" didn't say there was... )

Go to www.openoffice.org - 60 MB download :) - so there is no need for serialz etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Not really sure what you're telling me to do?
    if i got someone elses ID would it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Bottle_of_Smoke
    Not really sure what you're telling me to do?
    if i got someone elses ID would it work?

Yes.......but that would be illegal if they also had the software installed. So...em...don't do it.

Go to start->Run and type in
    regedit

Then in regedit go to the Find box and type in
    ProductID

You may find a few product IDs but it'll be obvious which one is the one for MS Word.

IIRC, technically when you buy an MS product, you don't own the software. You pay for the ability to use the software. So simply having the CD is no proof that you're entitled to use the software - it's simply a copy of the software.

It's a little like the Public/Private Key system in cryptography. Anyone can have the Public key for a message (the CD), but only those with the Private key (Product ID) are entitled to read the message.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

some of the newer versions have cd keys that will only work the one cd if you get me. So getting another key still might not even work. So your best bet is really the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Sourfoot

You can call Microsoft to get another Cd Key to do the installation but only if the Licence is Not an OEM the number to ring in ireland is 014502113 in the UK its 0870 6010100
    You will also need to have the Cd with you as they will need a part number from it to determine if you own it !, if you do not have the CD they will not give you a Key. The EULA licence is also included on the software that is running on the PC so you will still be able to install it and use it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭kernel32.dll

>>I have the cd for installing that i got when I bought the pc but the password is missing.

You should have the cvertificate of authenticity that came with the PC and on that you'll find the 25 digit PID.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Ok nothing seems to be working, will fix it later

The reason I'm doing all this is to get a physics solution which when I open in wordpad i get this :

ŠÇTK&|:cÉp¯äJh„âIÖ'’¿ž®Tæ½ÞgËìmä®`ÐâZ8-´-ªPUÚä¼&_ób'ÎJ<v)ÐàneŠ·iÈ•XÅ&…"Cæs¹Ç€Ò´ófU%ïëV™¶êp-P=Ä‘e3r9W^h<¦0éŒÉã
    ®¡×RÍÈu™uUʱÀÐK@Wy–úª1 ¹Ë$sŸÓ9Â\yaPÂÕc¡Î—-•.búër`(Èñ”´…[¦ø˜Çy¦^5™x‚Ã%XÒùBfóœÜÉÜ<ás9®¸ÈL“,
    ötŸËáè,“Äi*t5â3ŸcÕŒ©¿žd»éér¯d3ohJ€ÂÄ#¦K“JÝ*ä·ýÕ4‡{%€.a•Iráhô4,“ÌÜ.W¢:Q_ÈôpªÃçnC•+•ZD)Lá±yt-680Ðd^‰rP«áÏУ¼Ïž=Kx†PymÏpr
    AXOŽ=9âp¾

Any way of sorting this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭kernel32.dll

If you just want to recover the text, try looking for a Word Viewer on the http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/default.aspx?Product=Word&Version=95|97|98|2000|2002&Type=Viewer

THis will allow u to read & print what you've got in the file....

Advertisement