Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Caught cheating

• 08-06-2003 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I was caught cheating in a college exam. I had pointers typed and downsized onto two little slips of paper for one of the questions. I feel like such a fool and rightfully so, I should never have done it, but I did and now I'm gonna have to face the consequences.

What I would like to know is, does anyone know of anyone who has been caught in an exam and if so what happened to them? I can't bear to think about whats goig to happen to me any longer!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

You will be ritually castrated in front of the entire student body; and it serves you right!

Messing apart in my College its "You're the weakest link , bye bye" I'd say the same will apply to you :( , sorry bad luck but it's your own fault

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Well if the invigilator who gave our pre-exam talk a few weeks before the exams started was right, it'll probably be 12 months suspension or something like that.

How did they catch u anyways?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ah man, there are betters ways of cheating than that..

I suppose twould be worse if you were one of the 200-260 students that get caught every year during the Leaving exams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

you usually get brought before a dicaplinary hearing and then not allowed to do exams for another year or something.

at best you will have to re sit in summer, at worse, expulsion.

sorry mate, if you cant do the time, dont do the crime.

harsh lesson :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

The fact that you typed them out means that you're essentially ****ed. A scribbled on piece of scrap paper can be explained away as stuff you wrote while waiting for the paper, or shorthand for a question as you were answering it. They wouldn't believe you but it would give them an excuse to be lenient with you, from the sounds of things you've left them with little option to do anything but make an example of you. :( I'm sorry dude.

From what I remember the penalties are harsh particularily in clearcut cases, the best you're looking at is not being able to do exams for a set period of time more than likely for a year, you could as has been mentioned easily be expelled. If you are in Trinity the likelihood of exclusion would be quite high, their disciplinary procedures are antiquated and formulaic and less open to leiniacy than just about anywhere else.

Hightail it ****ing quickly to see your student education and welfare officers, tell them the story straight out. Glean whatever advice they may have. If you have any serious personal problems in your life, expand them a little and go to your GP or the student health service. If you don't have any make some up.

Explain how [insert personal **** here] has ****ed you up and you couldn't study for your exams and were stressed and ended up doing a silly thing. Cry a little. Ask for help with your nerves, anxiety or stress, hopefully they'll prescribe you something or refer you to counselling. With all the worry you should have right now over the future of your college career/life it shouldn't be too hard to be convincing.

Go up to the lecturer who set the exam and personally apologise for attempting to cheat on his/her exam, don't look for favours just apologise. Do the same with the head of department for whatever faculty the exam was for. The disciplinary people will be in touch with them soon enough, this'll make you look good, it might even be worth the gut wrenching embarrassment.

Finally go to your tutor most likely he'll be the one representing you at the disciplinary thing, you need to convince him you're not a bad kid most of all. Express remorse, bring in personal **** maybe do a bit more crying and mention that you've finally been to medical people about your stress and so on and so forth. Maybe if you'd gone earlier, yadda yadda yadda.

Your tutor is unlikely to press you too much just give him/her something to bring to discipline peeps. They'll be looking for a way to be nice but if you don't give to them you're ****ed.

I've never cheated on an exam and the above is all just advice not hard won experience so treat it as such.

Lastly you should have taken you're probably failure and repeat (I presume this was your motivation for cheating) like a man but as someone who once ran frequently afoul of academic discipline I can't help but feel sorry for you.

Good luck dude. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

your pretty screwed if they take this all the way... if you are at a stage award i.e. cert, dip or degree they'll throw the book at you!!!!! depending on the awarding body, either a university or HETAC for the IT's, the penalty is pretty stiff. I only really know about HETAC who impose a four year ban from sitting an exam again...

i also heard from someone that this includes all state exams e.g. driving test etc.. not sure how true this is though..

anyway.. as the last person said you should have done a bit of damage limitation and settled for repeats in september...

oh well... we live and learn!!!!

hope it goes well for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Originally posted by DapperGent
    If you have any serious personal problems in your life, expand them a little and go to your GP or the student health service. If you don't have any make some up.

Explain how [insert personal **** here] has ****ed you up and you couldn't study for your exams and were stressed and ended up doing a silly thing. Cry a little. Ask for help with your nerves, anxiety or stress, hopefully they'll prescribe you something or refer you to counselling. With all the worry you should have right now over the future of your college career/life it shouldn't be too hard to be convincing.

Go up to the lecturer who set the exam and personally apologise for attempting to cheat on his/her exam, don't look for favours just apologise. Do the same with the head of department for whatever faculty the exam was for. The disciplinary people will be in touch with them soon enough, this'll make you look good, it might even be worth the gut wrenching embarrassment.

Finally go to your tutor most likely he'll be the one representing you at the disciplinary thing, you need to convince him you're not a bad kid most of all. Express remorse, bring in personal **** maybe do a bit more crying and mention that you've finally been to medical people about your stress and so on and so forth. Maybe if you'd gone earlier, yadda yadda yadda.

This wont help you at all.

Quite simply if you make up this **** after you are caught cheating then it wont help, it'll look like obvious bullshít.

If you have seen doctors/tutors/counscellors beforehand it might be believable. otherwise it wont.

(comes from one of my tutors telling me to go to see the department secretary to make sure some stuff that meant i missed a week or two of lectures / couldn't study was on file and so it would be taken into consideration if necessary -- i actually didnt go because i caught up on the stuff missed.)

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by smiles
    Quite simply if you make up this **** after you are caught cheating then it wont help, it'll look like obvious bullshít.
    It will look like obvious bull**** but thats not the point. The disciplinary commitee will be looking for any excuse to give this poor ****er leeway. Any sort of thing that makes it look like he was under pressure will help him out.

Even an after the fact referal for counselling will be taken into consideration. I haven't done any of this **** but I've seen it work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Yes bull**** that your having personal problems and everyone was expecting great things from you and you worked your ass off (i'd say you were in the pub every night) and that you were so afraid to fail,then cry with all the girlie power that you have and just looks so pathetic that they'll give you a second chance.

Q.E.D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

say you got some girl pregnant.
    thats always a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by fisty
    say you got some girl pregnant.
    thats always a good one.
    That won't work unless you have some proof to back it up, and that's a bit hard to do now!

I think DapperGent has some good points. Make it out that you've been awful stupid about whatever problem it is you have and seem to be accepting it as a problem now which you didn't do before. Apologise to anyone and everything that might have a say in anything about the cheating and try and sound as genuine as possible to your tutor about you new-found problem, as they have a lot of influence with the disciplinary boards.

It may not mean you get away with it but usually a tutor can influence whether you get excluded or not!

Oh yeah and good luck you stupid fool! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Uhm what to say except your boned!,typing them out was a silly thing to do and well now they will throw the book at you and your doomed.

Doom de doom doomed

Advertisement