Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cancelling your plactic cards

Options
  • 09-06-2003 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭

from todays indo... click here
    if you want to canel a credit card etc, do it before April 1st....

thats the days the govt. levy is charged.
    if you want to cancel it after that date you will be charged the levy for the following "year"

eg.
    i was charged govt lewvy €40 near enought to April 1
    i cancelled my card in early may
    and i was charged the €40 levy for 2003/2004

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by dmeehan
    from todays indo... click here
    if you want to canel a credit card etc, do it before April 1st....

thats the days the govt. levy is charged.
    if you want to cancel it after that date you will be charged the levy for the following "year"

eg.
    i was charged govt lewvy €40 near enought to April 1
    i cancelled my card in early may
    and i was charged the €40 levy for 2003/2004

How can you be charged if you closed the account in may?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

because after april 1, you are in the next charging period (or part thereof...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

If you cancel your card on the 1st of March you should be cool for the next year and not pay Horse Mc Creevey his €40 ...unless

you use the card for a recurring DD type payment once a year.

in which case the company, say a club you are a member of resubmits the card because the expiry is guessable. This activates the card, a cancelled card is still active in case there is a delay submitting a charge to your bill.

now the card has been 'used' post 01 April, horse mc creevey gets his €40. A sneaky way around this is to lose (burn it) the card a week or two before you cancel it, that results in a new card with a different expiry date (esp month) being issued. That is what you then cancel...never having used it.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

aib are charging 40euro to cancel a card(on top of the other 40 euro alreadfy paid) ,mbna are not charging yet.so i cancelled my mbna

Advertisement