Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Reg

Options
  • 09-06-2003 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Gonna buy a new reg.

Was thinking about a Scubapro Mk16/R380 or a Mk16/S550
    Anyone had any problems with these?

I'm still using my old M2/R190, but it's looking pretty dated these days - Still clean as a whistle though.
    It's only part of my gear I never upgraded

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Smiler,

I've got no experience with scubapro regs but if you broaden you're horizons i can recommend my oceanic or posiedon.

Although scubapro are popular (maybe they make good regs) and easy to find somewhere that will service them....not so true with oceanic or poseidon in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Smiler

I dunno. I've no experience with those regs. When I started diving the rule was always go with Scubapro or Aqualung. I'm only back into diving this year after an eight year gap so I'm not to sure about other brands.

Saying that If their selling, they must be okay.

Scubapro make some really crap gear. For instance i absolutely hate their bc's and wouldn't dive in one under any circumstances!

They also make some OK gear. I hear their regs are decent so if this is what you know and are comfortable with then go for it.

Regards the other regs - i have an oceanic delta3 and its a good reg. Breaths easy and hasn't given me any problems. My Poseidon is relatively new but it seems like a real ripper so far.

For the professionals view then go to www.divernet.com - the equipment reviews are thorough and many. They give honest striaght up reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Smiler

Have to agree on the BCD's.
    I'm a AP Valves man myself.

But I think that their AIR2 is excelent when compared with AP's Auto Air (uurrrgh)

On the BCD front i'm a backplate and wing man myself.

I have a Halycon back plate (excellent plate as it allows for sigle tank diving as well without the single tank adapter) , diverite harness (becuase its got a release on the shoulder, the halcyon didn't and was a bitch to get off in water) and an OMS bungee double wing (because i dive a twinset and its a most excellent wing).

As MC Hammer once said
    (scubapro)
    "Can't touch this
    nanananana na na
    Can't touch this "

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

I have a Poseidon and an Apeks. Like Peace, the Poseidon is new but from what I've experienced of it so far, if you want air you've got it..and then some.

The Apeks regs are good, never had any problem with them apart from sand which got in them during our rescue course. Flagshipscuba in Dublin service the Apeks reg which is handy for me.

I remember when I was shopping for my reg... there's a lot out there and to be honest at the time I didn't know what was good from what was crap. There was so much stuff out there it tooks months to make up my mind. Ended up with a Buddy bc (nice, solid jacket) and an apeks ATX 100.

I'm sure you've done this already but read the reviews and comparison tests for regs, there's a load of them on divernet as Peace pointed out. Don't restrict yourself to one brand though.

Another thing to think about is tis:

Since the NDS don't have a premises right now there is no place to get Oceanic or Poseidon serviced (that i know of) in Dublin. Also i think Oceanic / Poseidon service centes are rather scarce around the whole country.

I think ScubaPro/Apeks are a good choice> Apeks are sold by flagshipscuba and i've read good reports on the reviews, so i'd probably go with them.

Advertisement