Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOFFL on Newstalk with David McWilliams

Options
  • 09-06-2003 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

IrelandOffline will be taking part in David McWilliams' morning radio program at 8:40 tomorrow (Tuesday 10th June) on Newstalk 106fm to discuss Ireland's broadband deficit.

Eircom and Esat will both have speakers in studio also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Excellent. Dave McWilliams sometimes seems like the only person in the media who really has his head firmly screwed on.

And he got a representative from esat and eircom, as well as IOFFL. The only time i remember that ever happening before was at IOFFL's net imperative.

Can't wait, should be a good show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Excellanto!, and Eircom are actually going to have a real life spokesperson in attendance to "Face the music!" Brillianto!.

Say no more?..

Paddy20.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Do you know who the speakers will be from the telco's?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Well we know it can't be Soula Evans, thank the heavens for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I would almost pay for Soula Evans to fly back from Greece. It would be entertaining to hear her dealt with by McWilliams. The only thing is you would need to make sure she got on the plane back to Greece.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It might be a bit early to be speculating, but there seems to be a slight change of tack with Eircom PR in the last week or two. In the last few months, every piece I've read that covered Eircom adversely to any significant degree has resulted in an absolute refusal to comment -- no rebuttals, no denials, just flat refusals.

I was a little surprised last week to see a couple of clear rebuttals and denials, but I thought this was just an errant flunkie slipping the leash for a few minutes, and we'd be back to the Schtum, Schtum party line before we knew it. This changes things though, it seems now that it's an intentional change of tactics.

Dave, I'm holding my breath and crossing every appendage I have available. You have an opportunity here to tear both Eircom /and/ EsatBT apart for their anti-competitive behaviour. Don't rely on McWilliams, rip them to pieces. Make them look like the greedy, arrogant pricks that they are.

No pressure like. ;)

By the way, make sure you get the name of the Eircom PR hack, so I can set up a website soonest. :)

adam

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Can someone make sure to digitise it? I'm not going to be listening to the radio at 8:40 :)

DeV.

I will try and digitise it. I've done it before off newstalk streams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

Can you call into this program, can someone give me the number of this radio statio and ill certainly help dannger tear them apart

Regards
    Shin

And i mean this theyve fed me around for so long bout time i talked to them about it

Originally posted by shinzon
    Can you call into this program, can someone give me the number of this radio statio and ill certainly help dannger tear them apart
    And i mean this theyve fed me around for so long bout time i talked to them about it

Shin, is it beyond your capacity to just go to http://www.newstalk106.ie/ and see for yourself?

IIRC, your problem with getting DSL is that you don't live near an exchange? How are Eircom/Esat/Netsource responsible for the limitations of DSL technology?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by eth0_
    Shin, is it beyond your capacity to just go to http://www.newstalk106.ie/ and see for yourself?

IIRC, your problem with getting DSL is that you don't live near an exchange? How are Eircom/Esat/Netsource responsible for the limitations of DSL technology?

jesus etho and you tell me to read, go back over all my posts please and do be a little more informed next time you spout off drivel like that, i live half a mile from the exchange

Regards

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

'Tis an awful pity nobody listens to Newstalk :confused:

Originally posted by shinzon
    jesus etho and you tell me to read,
    I told you to go to the newstalk website and get their phone number yerself man...

go back over all my posts please and do be a little more informed next time you spout off drivel like that, i live half a mile from the exchange

Erm...perhaps you missed the part where I said "IIRC"....no need to be so touchy....it's only the internet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

All this talk of "tearing them apart" eh?

I'd be happier to have a well informed debate and win outright. I won't be ranting on air and I'm not looking to loose my head on this. I'm happy to see that Eircom are finally taking part in the debate again after such a prolonged absence.

I can of course discuss the despair and rage felt by countless Irish Internet users (business and residential) after being taken for a ride with prohibitive Internet access costs and snail like access speeds in this country for the past 4 years..........

The reasons are pretty clear. Eircom's recent behaviour makes it all the clearer.

We've luckily had many on air discussions and from experience, on the day a lot depends on the line of questioning and how much mike time the presenter gives to each guest. So lets wait and see.

Don't think I said anything about ranting... did I... no, I don't think I did. Hmmm...

Eircom, and Esat, have lied to the Irish public and the Irish government for years now. This is your first opportunity in about two years to put them in their place and show them up for the liars and cheats that they are. You can "tear them apart" without having to lower yourself to their tactics.

adam

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Informed debate is harder to sidestep then a loony ranting.

You go Dangger ... this is your turf.

DeV. (who'd probably brain someone with the mic mid-interview :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Sorry, I never said anyone suggested ranting.

Your right though Adam. It is an excellent opportunity ;) , I'll do my best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

My only advice is this.

Have a brandy before you go in, and speak slow and simply.
    Tell the truth as we see it.

...and if that doesnt work strap a load of hotdogs to your chest inside your coat. Stand up suddenly shouting "Allah Alakbar!!" and dive accross the desk at the PR Bunny...

Ok, it wont further our cause but damn is would make me laugh :):)

Seriously though, good luck tomorrow.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

I'd suggest poking around at what their business strategy is. Evidence would point to a stall, stall, stall, scenario. Ask them if that is the best they can do to run a major telco, and how long they see it lasting.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DeVore
    ...and if that doesnt work strap a load of hotdogs to your chest inside your coat. Stand up suddenly shouting "Allah Alakbar!!" and dive accross the desk at the PR Bunny...
    ROFL

Careful now DeV, they've chickened out over less... :)

adam

ok, so seriously I'd like to see certain things addressed:

1. Contention and their wholesale offerings.

2. Service levels to their 3-rd party buyers (like Netsource who are blaming them for a lot of problems).

3. Inconsistant test results for ADSL.

I can think of others but my brain is currently swiss cheese...

DeV.

Originally posted by DeVore
    ok, so seriously I'd like to see certain things addressed:

1. Contention and their wholesale offerings.

2. Service levels to their 3-rd party buyers (like Netsource who are blaming them for a lot of problems).

3. Inconsistant test results for ADSL.

4. Price?

512 kbits \ 48 users \ 8bits (in a byte) != crap bandwidth.
    I would agree with everything Dev said except for the whole contention thing, its definitely a big white elephant and far to techy for this sort of discussion.

Keep it very simple,
    1. Eircom is trying to maintain its massive dialup income, ergo it fought flat-rate tooth and nail.
    2. Eircom is trying to stiffle competition in the marketplace through over priced LLU.
    3. Eircom is very inefficent, is massively overstaffed, and has a huge dept to pay off, this is be done through increases in prices.
    4. Eircom rates for wholesale bitstream service is the most expensive in Europe.
    5. Eircom's line rental are the most expensive in Europe.
    6. Eircom's promotes lies about building demand through killer application etc, even though it has been clearily demonstrated in nearily every other european country that if you build it they will come (and of course price it reasonably)..
    7. Eircom's policies are costing investment in Ireland, jobs are being lost, Eircom doesn't give a crap about Ireland.

1. Esat's why can't you offer cheaper internet using

A. Your wireless license
    B. The exchanges they DSL enabled with your own equipment. (not mention the grant they got to do this).

2. Is it Esat's intention to actively promote this duopoly ?

Aye, nail esat and if they squirm and point at an inability to compete, then follow the white rabbit back to the government and see who is willing to take the blame.

My tack would be: Clearly Ireland is not getting the BB service is deserves and that the public want. So.... Who's fault is this? Eh Lads?

DeV

Oh yeah,
    before I forget,

if they try to use population distribution as excuse for being over staffed, point out finland and that damn employees per line statistic ... where do I get that again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

If "contention ratio" is too much of a brain full, just say it has poor "quality", and if pushed just say it's spread out between 48 people. no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by MDR
    Oh yeah,
    before I forget,

if they try to use population distribution as excuse for being over staffed, point out finland and that damn employees per line statistic ... where do I get that again ?

Would that be pop per KM2 and line rental being a lot lower in Sweden and Finland

search for my posts with Sweden and Finland . In the cause of Sweden , Finland and Ireland, roughly half the population of each lives in the 2 largest towns combined.

M

Originally posted by flav0rflav
    I'd suggest poking around at what their business strategy is.
    I agree and I'd suggest the use of a long stick for this purpose. Things might get messy.

• Advertisement

Well well, a no-show from Eircom! VERY poor form there. Nice to see IBB had a rep there, it's just a pity that David McWilliams is so ill-informed about what broadband is!

Advertisement