Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOFFL on Newstalk with David McWilliams

Options
2»

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

yeah I cant believe that Eircom simply didnt bother their holes...

Was there any excuse given? Garda Suicide Hotdog Warnings? :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by DeVore
    yeah I cant believe that Eircom simply didnt bother their holes...

Was there any excuse given? Garda Suicide Hotdog Warnings? :)

DeV.

ROFL, and with that my laptop battery dies :(

Fair play to David, he sounded good, i got most of it over the web :-), on 56k broadband as eircom would have it if they could hehe

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dieselfreak

Well I must say i laughed out loud when I heard that Eircom hadn't even bothered to show for the debate..

But I expect nothing less from that spinless bunch of to**ers.

I really hope that they continue to bury their heads in the sand, and wireless technologies and lean fast moving WISP's eat them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Well, put another way Eircom are not the Ryanair of the telecoms sector.

It will only change with the threat and reality of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

Nice one David. I thought it went well.

McWilliams did know his stuff, although a bit surprised with his off the cuff remark about no money to be made in his house?

Esat woman seemed nervous on tech issues. Was there just to advertise, but that is at least more than eircom did.

It's unfortunate these discussions have to cover the basics before getting to the substance. But, I suppose that just highlights the fact we're behind.

Good overall.

[edit]

Why did the esat person keep mentioning the eircom reselling? Are they lining up a get-out clause? A pass the buck wide receiver? (just the sceptic in me)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Anyone manage to grab it in mp3?...SkepticOne?

viking

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by flav0rflav

McWilliams did know his stuff, although a bit surprised with his off the cuff remark about no money to be made in his house?

Know his stuff? What? He didn't even understand the basic concept of broadband and half the interview was spent making an analogy of cars on a motorway to help him understand! He even called himself a luddite!

I had been expecting more debate tbh, but what can you expect when they gave this a ten minute slot... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

McWilliams himself brought up the motorway analogy. He gave the air of not being fully with it, but that was to facilitate the interview process.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

He has to. His listeners are luddites and he's their representative. :(

Still would like to know if Eircom gave any reason for their last second bail.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by viking
    Anyone manage to grab it in mp3?...SkepticOne?

viking
    Sorry, no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

I was most dissapointed Eircom were a no show, although I wasn't that surprised! I think it was important that David McWilliams passed comment on it from at the start. Eircom did say that they *may* phone in with comments afterwards however!

You can't expect presenters to be as clued in as you'd like. It's not a very interesting subject for the masses! Never the less David said it was a subject that had genereated an awful lot of feed back both during and after the piece and on the previous day when it was mentioned they would be covering it. He also confirmed that it is something he wants to investigate further. He's got his own hard copy of our recent presentation to the Oireacthtas committee to mull over in the mean time.

It's inevitable that I get asked to comment on the technologies. People have suggested in the past that we should be able to do more to counter this but radio does not work like that. These questions are asked for the benefit of the listeners. You don't want your; listeners turning off faced with something incomprehensible.

Companies present during such discussion will always push their products on air, a skilled presenter can spot the sell and choose to give them their alloted time or take the piece somewhere else.

I've said before and people may or may not agree with me but it's vital to get these radio slots and get the message out further and further. We do get the opportunity to go into much more detailed discussions, luckily at high levels such as the recent Oireachtas hearing. These are the opportunites for us to go on public record and rasie the flag on these complex issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Dangger

You can't expect presenters to be as clued in as you'd like.

The man's a journalist, it's his job to inform himself and do his research :)

It would have been nice if there'd been time for a phone in, although I know that show is pretty fast moving as regards topics. But you did well Dangger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Thank you. Okay I'll rephrase it a little!

You can't expect presenters to be as clued in as you'd like all of the time!

I'm pretty sure the next time he'll be more up to speed, as he confirmed he would like to do some further coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Why is it that I am not in the least surprised at Eircoms no show. They are simply behaving like a frightened rat facing its own self inflicted extinction!. How sad?..

Paddy20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Paddy20
    Why is it that I am not in the least surprised at Eircoms no show. They are simply behaving like a frightened rat facing its own self inflicted extinction!. How sad?..
    Eircom's argument is: "Can I have some money now?"

Skeptic can you PLEASE not do that while I'm drinking coffee! Now I have to clean my keyboard :):)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Damn - I missed it this morning, and I listen to David McWilliams almost every morning (after Gift Grub on TodayFM of course!). Did no one record it? If anyone did could you upload it somewhere please? I would have loved to hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

^^ Moi aussi

Advertisement