Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hail to the thief...

Options
  • 09-06-2003 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭

whatcha think?

song 2 is ****in great whats this its caled stand up sit down or summat...

really impressed and growing on me steadily also

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Eyeliner__Boy

is that the new Oasis album?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

sit down stand up is absolutely amazing true but the songs that will really grow on you mick are scatterbrain and wolf from the door the last 2 on the album brilliant songs

as for a truly rocking song 2+2=5 (1st track) can't be beaten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Had it for a while now but it didnt take me as much time to get into it as Amnesiac/Kid A. It makes much more sense as an album than those two IMO. Some great songs and you can hear Jonny again! Hallelujah!!
    Best songs: 2+2=5, There There, Wolf at the Door, Sail to the Moon, Go to Sleep.
    I just wish i had enough money to get the limited edition, apparently its very fancy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Amnesiac

the best song on the album is myxomatosis in my book.
    not too gone on sit down, stand up...felt that they didn't capture the intensity of the live versions.

other favs include 2+2=5, backdrifts (ignore the begrudgers), where i end and you begin, we suck young blood, there there and wolf at the door...scatterbrain is growing on me too.

tip top, tommy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

I only have the demo version and i've been listening to it constantly since i got it and i adore it. According to most of the debate on the xltronic messageboard (www.xltronic.com/mb) the some of the songs' demo versions are better than the final versions - especially 2+2=5 and there, there.

Just queueing the retail version in soulseek right now, looking forward to checking it out..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jackie Daniels

I really loved kid a and amnesiac, right off the mark, not 'getting into it' i didnt have to, they totally did it for me. Im hoping that ill like this albumn but i havent heard it yet. anyone confirm this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Originally posted by Eyeliner__Boy
    is that the new Oasis album?

nope radiohead...

what's strange about this album is that i'm yet to see a review that has said a lot of nice things about it!, i have the version that was on the net for ages and i liked that... is it very different from the finished product?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Nah, there is not too much difference on the finished version. Better sound quality and some slight enhancements. Some of the intros to the songs have a few extra bleeps and noises etc. Worth getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 psychotic joe

wheres a good place to get the album cheap? (im a bit short on cash)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

www.cdwow.ie

€13.95

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Is it true "Hail to the Thief" is a reference to Bush or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭violent*sky

yeah..its a reference to the slogans the protesters used at the elections when he got elected...he got the job considering he finished up behind al gore in the polls apparently!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Very impressed with it went on a bit of a spending spree last week and bought 12 albums hail to the thief was by far the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Achille

oh god, its an amazing album.
    ive been listening to it non-stop since last Friday morning.

im loving it so much, i think it might be better than Kid A and Amnesiac, and that says ALOT in my book.
    and the Special Edition thingy is brilliant, well worth splashing out the extra Euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

Originally posted by violent*sky
    yeah..its a reference to the slogans the protesters used at the elections when he got elected...he got the job considering he finished up behind al gore in the polls apparently!!!!

But radiohead have specifically said they did not choose it for this reason they had picked the title for another reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jackie Daniels

i have to say its quite possible one of the most amazing things i have ever heard. i absolutely love this albumn, i absolutely love thom yorke, and i absolutely love radiohead.
    thankyou

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Cherry

A gem.

Also love the poster thingy booklet-type-thing in the Special Edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Meh.

Originally posted by PiE
    Meh.
    Well PiE, your in agreement with most of the critics that have reviewed the album. A lot of people I'm sure genuinly think the album is "Meh" but as far as the critics are concerned I'm wondering whether they are just trying to keep them down, or maybe it's not fitting in with their ideal of a pop album in an "everyone should be like westlife" kind of way.

Did you like Kid A or Amnesiac PiE?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

been listening to it constantly since last friday and gotta say i love it now, feckin brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Achille

i think alot of the journalists and critics and all are too concerned about how their opinion will compare to the public's.
    as far as i remember, most of them abused Kid A and asked 'what happened to that great band who made OK Computer?' but then those that bought the album and gave it a chance seemed to love it, so they felt stupid. then they tried to praise Amnesiac from the start, but it wasn't as popular as Kid A among the fans.

this time, they seem afraid to praise it as their best album, because it is again a different path to that of Kid A, but they dont wanna slag the album because then they could have humble pie for dessert again.

remember back in the day when Oasis released Be Here Now and it got 5 stars everywhere and all the critics praised it, but after a few months they had to take it all back for their end-of-year lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by p.pete
    I'm wondering whether they are just trying to keep them down, or maybe it's not fitting in with their ideal of a pop album in an "everyone should be like westlife" kind of way.

Maybe people are just saying "woah it's amazing" to make themselves seem knowledgeable about music? (No offence intended to anyone here, if you like it you like it.)

My attitude towards both Kid A and Amnesiac was also "meh".

Originally posted by PiE
    Maybe people are just saying "woah it's amazing" to make themselves seem knowledgeable about music? (No offence intended to anyone here, if you like it you like it.)

My attitude towards both Kid A and Amnesiac was also "meh".
    I think it's amazing, but I completly accept that lots of people are going to think meh. Music is subjective so I don't think it makes someone any less knowledgeble about music if their favourites are Steps and Westlife. I'd call these people tasteless but that is only because it goes against my tastes.

I would think that the number of people who think hail to the thief is a amazing is actually not that large, it's just the people who don't care for it (or don't care to listen to it) aren't actually talking about it so at the moment the voices of the yes camp are louder.

I just find it strange that an awful lot of the people who are paid to listen to the album and review it are coming out with generally positive reviews but it seems that they are also being cautious and throwing in a liberal amount of negative comments. I was just pondering that maybe they are just hedging their bets as to what people want to read in the reviews. Or maybe they don't want to be seen openly praising it as their jobs are dependant on more mainstream music.

Advertisement