Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem With My Igs

Options
  • 09-06-2003 1:06pm

I have 2 Iguana's and am now having a bit of a problem . They are still very young . But one of them has taken the dominent role in the tank . This Iguana i call Whip (due to his tail action) This guy is mean and does not trust you . The other guy is so easy going , a total pet . Doesnt mind getting lifted up and petted on the head . Unfortunatly he is not getting his food . I will have to get a seporate tank . The problem i am looking at is when they get bigger . I cant have them both . I am attached to them both . But being both Male its a bad idea . Should i get find a new home for one of them ? Or is it possible to keep both .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Hi Dre,

How old are you iggies? as you know I have 2 igs ollie is approx 18 months & Izzy is approx 2 years. I tried to put them together & Izzy started fighting with Ollie I think Izzy is a gal & Ollie a guy. I have read that males can live togther but one ig with be dominant. I know you'd hate to give one up how big is your tank? My guys are both is 4ft tanks at the moment. My dad is in the process of building their 9ftx3ft enclosure we are just cutting off a section of our front room putting in a std partition with glass doors, just working out the lighting/heating now. Izzy is in the front room whilst Ollie is in my room, when I left for work he was ontop of the curtain track by the time I get home he'll probably be on the telly or Sugar Glider cage.

have you thought about have the tame Ig have the run or your room? you can put up a shelf with his basking spot & UV etc & he'd be as happy as larry or you could try swapping one of them for a female (I could not do this! even though Izzy & Ollie both scratch & whip me!!:rolleyes: )

You could if you seperate them, let them run around together in a room whislt you supervise them, they may calm down & become friends! you never know.

You have my number any probs give me a shout.

Kind regards

Faye:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

I agree with Faye,
    Two males can somtimes be a problem, especially if they are reaching sexual maturity :)

You may need to consider getting another viv / tank, or as faye suggests, giving one or the other the run of a room (I would suggest the tamer one, in case of needing to make a quick catch, chasing an ig around a room when he dont wanna be caught can be exhausting lol ;) )

IMHO, even if u do give one the run of the room, you should really still have another viv / tank,.... if somone comes in that is scared by them, or a cat gets in (u never know) or for 100 other reasons, U may need to keep him secure for a while.

But be warned, once an ig gets used to having the run of a room, it can resent ever going back to a viv / tank, .... least mine certainly did, an I have the scars to prove it lol ;)

Hope that helps :)

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Hi Dre,

had another idea last night, How big is your viv? & how big are the Igs? If the big one is becoming terratorial try adding 2 basking logs, 2 food bowls & 2 water bowls this coule stop all the arguing.

How does the little one look? is he nice & plump? can you open his mouth at all? if you can look for at the back of the mouth is it nice & clear or can you see a foamy type substance? I have a young monitor lizard who was lovely & friendly then he got sick the vet told me he had a respitory infection, I had to force feed him baytril & liqued calcium & mashed up chicken for weeks then he had to get a calcium injection, since then his true character has emerged! mean big cricket killing machine! nothing like his sweet self, I had bought a sick lizard & didn't know it! now he is well on the road to recovery! One tip would be to mist the Igs get a clean misting bottle & fill with mineral water & mist them every day, this will ensure they are drinking enough.

Baths are also be very good ways to hydrate iggies (although I tried this with Ollie, he did not talk to me for a week!!)

Let me know how the little one is.

Regards

Faye

Advertisement