Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whelans

Options
  • 09-06-2003 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭

Friday/Saturday nites post gig club dancin/drinkin/pukin music

Whats the story with the music? I know theres prolly a format to keep kids comin back but surely they could throw in some new stuff or same band/different song every now and again.

Its boring, theres so much new stuff around but like they play the SAME OLD SAME OLD bloody stuff. Look at the charts theres more to an indie gig than bloody EMF.

Go on have a go but its just the same every single week, I cant go to phantasm cos I have one of those job things cos I know the music is better then but the only alternative is the Village and thats like listenin to a 70s TV soundtrack album (downstairs anyway)

Anyone else gettin piddled off with it???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Here here.
    In Whelans on a Saturday night you can predict the whole set list.... I mean even if they had the same kinda bands but played lesser played songs.. if I hear Smells Like Teen Spirit once more....
    Apparently though about a month ago there was a mysterious DJ who played a great set with lots of eighties stuff... said DJ has never been seen since
    On a more positive note - Sinister Pete played a blinder at Phantasm on Thursday, best set i've heard in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭sodiumlightbaby

god this has been the case for years in whelans, had been there in a long time and went recently...I couldnt believe they were bashing out the same crap.......that dj playin the 80's stuff sounds good though Lambda....shame they didnt keep him on...the only decent club i think is helter shelter, playing a good mix of alternative 80's, 90's and present day stuff.....downstairs in the village is pathethic...yer man leagues has got his head up his hole...the last night i was there I heard Madness about 4 times (dont get me wrong i like Madness but is it really necessary to play them 4 times in one night !!) and Madonna a couple of times too. There is no excuse for any dj playing the same song twice in one night imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Saint-dotsie

Here here.
    we should get a campaign going to change the set a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Was waiting for a backlash on this but am quite surprised at the response.

Mr and Mrs Whelans, are you listening?? Guess not.

Its virtually a compilation tape put on 'shuffle' and its boring, I aint 17 Ive heard this stuff for years and I want to listen to something new when I go out..waaaaaaaahhh

Sorry but its annoying, boring,repetitive and Im trying to find 'alternatives' to my beloved Whelans friday/saturday nite social.

Have to get a job with fridays off I guess:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ste k

When I went there last thursday there was a girl DJ'ing in the bar till exactly 11. Is this common practice.

Maybe they should start offering that set out for a few weeks to find new folk rather than the regular CD-R creators.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

You should go to Isaac Butts at the weekend, good crowd downstairs and the DJ takes requests, plays loadsa stuff, and if ya have a CD he doesnt, he might stick it on for ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

I usually go to phantasm instead of going on the saturday... it means that friday morning in work is hell but at least it is worth it, music wise!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

How come one so called 'night before the weekend' be so good as opposed to the actual weekend nites....Bizarre

Isaac Butt I admit is better but its not really the right size venúe if you get a few in, no complaints tho apart from that.

I guess we can thank phantom dj's for the thursday night's music being so good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭starlet

Apparently though about a month ago there was a mysterious DJ who played a great set with lots of eighties stuff...

all we got on Saturday night was Take On Me by A-ha (OH YES) and You're So Vain by Carly Simon (I think, I'll ask my mam). i feel cheated. where the hell is Van Halen when you want him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Rodriguez

The Music just sucks, I mean i really dont want to hear anymore E.M.F on a Saturday nite nor do I want to hear anything by the La's.

My money is better than this.

Plus, ive made too many enemys and broken too many hearts on a Saturday nite in Whelans.

Ahh well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭sodiumlightbaby

amazing how the place is usually jammed on a saturday night, if a lot of people think the same....the only way it will change is if people stop going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Eyeliner__Boy

you could be all in dominion on a saturday night dancing with those elitist goth ****s to the wonderful duran duran and dexys!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Downstairs at The Oak isn't bad on Friday or Saturday nights, and it's free in. Whelan's is dreadful on Saturdays, and I'm barred from Isaac Butts after a 'difference of opinions' with the bouncers. Mojoclub sounds promising though, and I'll be heading there this Friday.

well, my theory is that we stay in on friday nights and save some money. and go out ot phantasm on thurday... our money will be very well spent there... even if t he music is crap (which it isn't) your still helping the station we all love

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

This is really strange, I just posted a thread on the gigs/events forum complaining about Whelans djs playing the same old ****e week in week out....

Does anybody know who they are? Are they robots? Do they have a set list they have to play?

If any of you are looking for an alternative saturday night pitched somewhere between Whelan's and the Thomas House try coming along to Magpie every second saturday in Handels on Thomas St. It's on this saturday June 14th from 8.00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

whelans had a wee post board the last couple of years and the most popular topics were complaints -
    (1) about the bouncers
    (2) about the unoriginal setlist

think they got pissed off with it cause they eventually removed the board. They're still doin great business on the weekends so
    they ain't gona change their formula.
    thursdays don't suit me either but best dj i ever heard they're was a phantasm night.
    ye u get fed up with it but after a few pints i'd rather head there than any other club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ste k

Whelan's has now probably become the "uber-cool" which allows the general respectables to go their and not lose any of there street cred. "Yeah Whelans, thats a cool sort of rocker place"

If you look at the popularity of that rockers revenge, you can see that rock is suddenly cool again cause its under-ground, like garage and r'n'b sh!!t once was.

The circle continues and Whelans will play the same songs cause their acceptable and slightly known to the new masses that arrive.

Sure there will be some other 'cool' place soon down the road, I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Erm, I dont think anyone would consider Whelan's "cool"....:confused:

Advertisement