Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Storyline

Options
  • 09-06-2003 2:28pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So which game do you think had the best storyline. You know, the games with storylines that could even rival the hollywood masterpiece XXX. Heres my top ten:

1. Xenogears (first game with a evangelion rivaling story and felt like being part of an anime, if you could stick 20 minute long cutscenes)
    2. Final Fantasy VII (Great characters and story but losses points for being unfinished and a woeful translation)
    3. Metal Gear Solid (Love the 'it could really happen' storyline)
    4. Final Fantasy VI (one of the first games with a more mature story and believable characters)
    5. Grandia ( not so much a good story but excellent characters that you will fall in love with before the end)
    6. Metal Gear 2:Solid Snake (despite being ancient it has a MGS rivalling story)
    7. Chrono Trigger (even Ted Woolseys dire translation and retarded jokes couldn't ruin this fantastic story with multiple endings)
    8. Tie Fighter (The best star wars storyline since empire strikes back. And darth vader is your wingman in some missions)
    9. Sam n Max (Piss yourself funny)
    10. Vice City (vicious stylish and funny like all good gangster flicks)

Sorry for nott including classics like System Shock, Vagrant story and Chrono Cross. I've too many games and haven't been able to play them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Half-Life
    Deus Ex
    Baldur's Gate 1 and/or 2
    Fallout (1)
    Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jedi Knight 2 :D Thats a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

Originally posted by Retr0gamer

2. Final Fantasy VII (Great characters and story but losses points for being unfinished and a woeful translation)

Woeful translation? You havent seen a woeful translation until you'veplayed breath of fire 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

You know what im gonna say...

Dont make me say it again. :p

A

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You havent seen a woeful translation until you'veplayed

I have played it and you are right. Maybe I should do a thread for woeful translations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

JK2's story was only ok. The original JK had a good story. However, X-wing Alliance had a great story.

Here's a short list (I'm supposed to be working) :rolleyes:

5 - Starcraft (including Broodwar)
    4 - MGS 1 & 2 (more 1)
    3 - X-Wing Alliance (or Tie fighter)
    2 - Vice City / Mafia
    1 - Homeworld - Gripping, compelling, fantastic and enthralling

I'll kick myself later when I think of all the better stories in games. Well theres no beating Homeworld in the #1 spot come to think of it ;)

L8rz

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Id go with Praetorians list, bar MGS (never played) and ditch Vice City (it had a story?) and just leave Mafia at number 2.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Eternal Darkness

Very mature storyline, with some very dark elements (at least 1 allusion to suicide). The only game that I've completed in order to see what happens at the end (versus just finishing the moo-foo for completist's sake).

Half-Life had a fairly cool way of telling a story too, even if you were only drip-fed bits and pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Vice City's "story" was all over the place. I'd vote Mafia over it any day (like watching a slightly cheaper version of Goodfellas, but taking part in it too :) )

Liked the story in Undying but I am a bit of a horror-freak. Loved Grim Fandango. Very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Epitaph
    Eternal Darkness

Very mature storyline, with some very dark elements (at least 1 allusion to suicide). The only game that I've completed in order to see what happens at the end (versus just finishing the moo-foo for completist's sake).

Half-Life had a fairly cool way of telling a story too, even if you were only drip-fed bits and pieces.

Yeah, it was very good. I must admit, I didnt finish it tho. I played it thru quite quick, got to the end, was disappointed to see the ending resorted to typical console hand to hand fighting with the "boss", got distracted and never took it up again to play.

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

My vote would go to Final Fantasy VII - yes, I'm a total FFVII fanboy, but the story was brilliant and contain one of the few genuinely emotive moments in a videogame.

Honourable mentions go to Terranigma, Icewind Dale, Chrono Trigger and Lunar 1/2.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ohhhh and Shadow Hearts on the PS2 has a great, dark storyline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Nobody mentioned Planescape: Torment. Probably the best story I can ever remember. Go play it now, and see for yourself.

Counterstrike :p

Or maybe the story of how Shinji managed to do so well at Megalan.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It would have to be Monkey Island, what other game includes becoming a pirate and then finding a hidden island with monkeys and ghost pirates on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

sam and max?
    day of the tentacle?
    monkey island 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Ico has the most involving characterisation and story I've experienced yet.

Bangai-O gets the runner up spot. It makes me laugh every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Sonic 2
    God, the pathos!!
    j/k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

the best story i ever remember was an old commodore 64 cd rom game (yes the c64 did have a cdrom drive the 1541 2 is what i had).

anyhoo the name of the game was space rogue by a company called origin, it gripped me from start to finish ah they dont make em like they used to

regards

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I agree with the Monkey Island votes. Funniest by far. I remember in the first or second where Guybrush falls off the cliff and this dialog box comes up saying you died which freaked me out seeing as he didn't die ever.

So when he bounces back up off a branch I laughed myself silly.

Deus Ex's was gripping and tense.

And lastly my current fave: Freelancer. It's pretty much the standard guy gets stranded, signs up with the good guys who turn out to be bad etc etc. but you tend to be slightly surprised by some of the plot twists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

- Warcraft Series
    - Starcraft (+ Broodwar of course)
    - Diablo I
    - Planescape: Torment
    - Zelda : A link to the past (pretty simple but brilliant all the same!)

I'd put Red Alert in there too but I think I've enough :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Weh FF7 as usual it always gets it for 'best anything'.
    MGS was cool. The second one was gibberish.
    Silent Hill 2 was mad - had a couple of different meanings I think, one of them was the whole thing was a descent into hell.. wooo!
    I liked the Broken Sword story too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Weebo

The ultima series. It's evolved since Akalabeth in 1979 and closed with Ascension in about 98. My favourite was Ultima 6/7. Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by shinzon
    the best story i ever remember was an old commodore 64 cd rom game (yes the c64 did have a cdrom drive the 1541 2 is what i had).

umm .. you mean the very same 1541 mk.1/2 that is a 5.25" floppy disk drive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Xenogears, Final Fantasy 7, Metal Gear Solid 1, Deus Ex adn Fallout 1+2(the main storylines were very cliche, but the side quests which were so well written made up for it).

althoug i aint finished it yet or played it in months chrono cross seemed to be very good as you dont quite know what is going on and what motives each character has, especially serge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Chronotrigger was wonderful...
    Toonstruck was also brilliant
    As was BG1/2/TOB
    Ultima 7 was fantastic
    Cruise For A Corpse
    Broken Sword was also truly wonderful
    Flashback was ace storywise too
    and, of course Planescape Torment was just FANTASTIC in the story department.

But my #1 storyline would be... Quake. :p no messing just plain ol' "kill em ALL". Works for me everytime. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

FF 7 was the best game I ever played and I kept getting sucked deeper into it as I went on, got my vote in this one.
    Did like FF 9 & 10 aswell, along with Jedi Knight and the Red Alert series.

Originally posted by Lemming
    umm .. you mean the very same 1541 mk.1/2 that is a 5.25" floppy disk drive

yep that be the one lemming, god i can still remember the noise out of the dear old chuffer, anyone remember universal wrestling on that format, sigh nostalgia

regards

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

shinzon,

I remember getting that... easter/pre-summer 1990 if I remember correctly. The sub-game arcade machine game plot was good. I played it recently again. Forgot how slow the floppy version was. Was there really a cdrom version??? I remember I had the 1541 5.25" floppy drive.

Fave story: Ultima VII The Black Gate (my 1st rpg on the PC - 1993)... oh sigh... bring those days back (minus the hardware...)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by hamster
    shinzon,

I remember getting that... easter/pre-summer 1990 if I remember correctly. The sub-game arcade machine game plot was good. I played it recently again. Forgot how slow the floppy version was. Was there really a cdrom version??? I remember I had the 1541 5.25" floppy drive.

Fave story: Ultima VII The Black Gate (my 1st rpg on the PC - 1993)... oh sigh... bring those days back (minus the hardware...)

oh dear i did say cd rom didnt I LOL, gets confused in my old age :), it was indeed a floppy drive

Regards

Shin

Advertisement