Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Storyline

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Planescape: Torment
    Final Fantasy VII
    Deus Ex

Quick little top three there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 trigg

- Half life, Half life, Half life....

- Grim fandango

- Zelda (on the snes)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Vagrant story (the religious theme was one of the best, most mature stories ever IMO)
    FF7 (it just had to be there didnt it?)
    Silent hill trilogy (i still think the "you were dead all along" ending from SH1 was a stroke of genius)
    Monkey island (funniest games ever)
    Metal gear 1 (2 was a bit mad. come on....the internet being full of junk? We all knew that!!)
    Doom (scared the hell out of me, that movie event horizon ripped doom off bigtime)
    Ico (simple but effective)
    Britneys dance beat (simple premise perfectly executed: Watch britney jiggle)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

Originally posted by Deadwing

Doom (scared the hell out of me, that movie event horizon ripped doom off bigtime)

I never thought doom had much of a story let alone one which ripped off a pretty decent movie. Please explain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Aliens Versus Predator 2 because it was so damned complex yet fitted into the world so well. Shame about the game though.
    Zelda: OOC. A classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

1) Half-life
    2) Mafia
    3) Final Fantasy 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Silent hill trilogy (i still think the "you were dead all along" ending from SH1 was a stroke of genius)
    well thanks a ****ing bunch:mad:
    my original copy of sh was too scratched to watch any of the cutscenes (damn pre owned games)
    i got a new copy of it last week so i could play through it again with the cutscenes, not much point now:(

half-life prolly has the most involving storyline of any game that i've played, some nice twists along the way.
    max payne was aight.

oh yeah, stfu retr0, jkII had a sweet story

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh look who it is. It's captain cliche aka the bloke from jk2. And here comes uninteresting love story that was only put in to give bearded geeks a hard on. And then theres the cliched baddy. And what is he doing. He's going to destroy the world of course. I thought we got over those childish stories since after Final Fantasy 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Max Payne
    FF 7

And someone said Doom wtf it had no story line :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    Oh look who it is. It's captain cliche aka the bloke from jk2. And here comes uninteresting love story that was only put in to give bearded geeks a hard on. And then theres the cliched baddy. And what is he doing. He's going to destroy the world of course. I thought we got over those childish stories since after Final Fantasy 1.

maybe so, but a few light sabers and tossing stormtroopers around like ragdolls using the power of the force can raise any game from mediocrity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Were talking story lines tho not game play.........

Which reminds me shenmu it basically an interactive comic and as such should get a mention

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

but a few light sabers and tossing stormtroopers around like ragdolls using the power of the force can raise any game from mediocrity.

Maybe, but the play mechanics aren't exactly Bushido Blade and was more a test in tedium endurance wrapped up in a star wars license for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Weebo

Beneath a Steel Sky.
    Lure of the Temptress.

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.

Grim Fandango
    The Dig

I loved beneath a steel sky and Broken Sword. I hate it when you're reminded of things that you left out of your list.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Would have to be Monkey Island 1 and 2 for me, classics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

Deffo Mafia: possibly the most cinematic and atmospheric games ever, with an awesome story. Kept expecting a Pesci character to spring out of the screen with a baseball bat :)

Deus Ex a close second: no one has done cyberpunk and conspiracy as good, although System Shock was pretty good.

HalfLife had a big impact, but that was mostly cos it was the first FPS with a real story...

WC 2-4, excluding 1 and prophecy, were probably amongst the greatest space operas ever told: WC4 is my fave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Of course Doom had a storyline.
    You were trapped in this demonic place and you were trying to get home. Of course you had to blast your way through a few thousand monsters but you really wanted to get home! :)
    And then you finally manage to beat the end boss and get outta there back to lovely earth.
    Everything is fine and dandy ....... until you see the rabbit heads on stakes!! Classic! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I spent the weekend engrossed in X-Com: Terror From The Deep. A fantastic game. Not exatly the traditional story, but the way it progresses and the way you find out about what's going on works very well.

Sometimes the oldies are the best.:)

Originally posted by tman
    well thanks a ****ing bunch:mad:
    my original copy of sh was too scratched to watch any of the cutscenes (damn pre owned games)
    i got a new copy of it last week so i could play through it again with the cutscenes, not much point now:(
    dont worry, thats only ONE ending (if i remember there are 4 or 5 endings) and its the one you get when you **** up and get all the set pieces wrong, all the other endings are the ones that further the storyline into SH3 (youll know when you play SH3)

And doom!! hell yeah it had a storyline, the marines were experimenting with inter-dimensinal gate thing, but all hell started coming out of the gates and people who went through got sliced n diced yadda yadda..just like the ship in event horizon, it goes through a dimensional gate and comes out covered in hell!!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭public_enemy

does anyone else remember day of the tentacle?

that was more than just a storyline...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Day of the tentacle? Hell yes! That was a really enjoyable game if just a little short. Completed it over xmas '94. The HD disk version only had voices for the intro. Still very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

i'd say jet set willy if i could remember the storyline

from recent years
    max payne
    thief 2
    eternal darkness(not so much the story, but the way it was told)
    sacrifice
    and of course planescape: torment, best of the best as far as stories go in games

dont worry, thats only ONE ending (if i remember there are 4 or 5 endings) and its the one you get when you **** up and get all the set pieces wrong, all the other endings are the ones that further the storyline into SH3
    lol, i'd better fish it out of the bin so:rolleyes:

your jkII slaggings actually have some grounding this time retr0...
    that bit where kyle snogged jan was prolly the most cringable moment from any game i've played...

where kyle snogged jan was prolly the most cringable moment from any game i've played

Most cringable moment? You obviously haven't played the original Resident Evil. The first and second most cringable moments for me are Barrys 'Jill, you were almost a gibble sandwich' when she almost gets crushed, and Chris's root of the problem joke after the plant boss. (Shivers)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I would have throw in Headhunter, a little cliched with the losing the old memory trick, but it worked very well and built up nicely to the final boss.

Rumours abound that a Headhunter 2 is on the way...

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    Most cringable moment? You obviously haven't played the original Resident Evil. The first and second most cringable moments for me are Barrys 'Jill, you were almost a gibble sandwich' when she almost gets crushed, and Chris's root of the problem joke after the plant boss. (Shivers)
    lol, i completely forgot about that game. "i'm going to stay here and examine this blood":rolleyes:
    it took me a while to figure out that the game wasn't supposed to be a horror spoof (i'm still not 100% sure tho)
    hammier than a breakfast roll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

What's the storyline like for that game that opens with "All your base are belong to us!"?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I was going to say Monkey Island but I suppose it's more the script, as in dialogue, rather than the storyline, as in plot, that kicks ass.

I'd plump for Shadowrun on the SNES. Plenty of mystery and twists and it all ties in nicely to the game without having you go through reams of cut scenes that ruin your suspension of disbelief.

Beast 2 on the Amiga also had a pretty cool storyline that added to the atmosphere of the game.

And finally Mean Streets on the PC. It's been years since I played this game though and I could be wrong, it could be really cliched.

What's the storyline like for that game that opens with "All your base are belong to us!"?

Can we please ban the use of this phrase. The game is zerowing. Find it on any good mega drive emulator or mame. There isn't much of a story. It's basically a sideways scrolling shmup. Your the last ship left. So you have to kill everything that moves and don't get killed yourself. And theres a boss at the end of the level.

• Advertisement

Halo actually had a pretty good storyline, or at least, an average story, well told. Sucky ending though, i saw the "Halos finished! No...its not.." ending coming a mile off.
    And retro, you forgot the now infamous "Master of unlocking" speech from RE1 *L* Thank god they removed the crappy dialouge from RE remake on GC...and replaced it with less crappy dialouge ;)
    And who could forget wolfenstein!! Zombies! Nazis! Zombie nazis! leather nazi dominatrices!! It deserves a pulitzer!!

Advertisement