Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice required for a Betamax Mod

Options
  • 09-06-2003 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

I've purchased from ebay a spares-or-repair Betamax VCR which I intend to convert to a PC. (Picture attached).

I haven't carried out this kind of work before although I do own a Black & Decker multi-tool (Dremel copy) and have a high level of technical competence.

I was basically wondering if you could:

1) Point me in the direction of sites featuring successful mods of this type.

2) Advise me regarding small form-factor PSU's.

3) Ditto mini-ITX motherboards- would I have to use a VIA EPIA or is there a solution with more grunt available, and would the PSU in (2) be up to the job.

4) Bearing in mind this VCR is a top-loader (have to be my age to remember these old beasties!) how would you advise I fit the CD-ROM?

5) Are there drives available (pref. DVD and CDRW combined) smaller than the standard 5.25" form factor.

If you can answer any or all of the above I would be extremely grateful! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

www.mini-itx.com have some stuff

There are slimline laptop drives available you could use.

Building into old NES boxes and so on. Sounds like a project :)
    Good luck, and most of all, have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

I think that will look sooo ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Originally posted by weemcd

Coincidentally I don't giiiiive a ****. Back in the pram kiddy, Betamax is 80's chic at it's best.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

If you don't have anything worth saying, just shut up. That wasn't even constructive criticism ffs.

I think it'll look good, really retro. I really like the old-style NES ones people are doing aswell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

NES ones will look much better than that, good luck anyway, but how will you get decent graphics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

NES ones will look much better than that, good luck anyway, but how will you get decent graphics?

The mini-itx boards have decent onboard stuff if it's not for gaming, and if it is, he can use a PCI riser card (lets you place PCI cards parallel to the motherboard) and any PCI graphics card, which should all fit into that case.

weemcd, I was sorely tempted to ban you on sight for your first post there. Just be civil.

Sounds good ozpass, I'd like to see pics of it's insides and how you're going to mount the board/etc inside it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

I'll be able to let you all know more in a couple of weeks. It's been delivered to my address in the UK so I can't get my hands on it just yet.

One of the benefits of using a top-loading betamax VCR is the physical bulk of the device.

Assuming there are no strange internal structures that can't be removed, it should be easily possible to fit a full-sized ATX mobo inside there, replete with AGP and PCI cards. It might start to become tight with the PSU included which is why I'm keen to source a small-ish PSU.

It's all largely conjecture at this point anyway, I'll fill you in once I've laid eyes on it.

I'll photograph the build too, for future boards.ie reference.

Advertisement