Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight Watchers

• 09-06-2003 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

I was wondering how many of you out there are actively following the Weight Watchers points program and if you have any insights, tips or nuggets of info to add. Recipes..... anything that's tasty and low in points!

I have been a member on more than one ocassion but since rejoining this time I have vowed that I will reach my goal weight and hopefully train to become a leader.

Any comments or feedback?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

No offence commuterised but ... the "Weight Watchers" program is prob ok but really the best thing is excersise. It's all about a ballanced diet (ie: getting vitamines, minerals, fat and so on) and getting some exersise.
    Wathing your calore intake is good as long as you excersise enough to expend the calories that you have taken in so that they do not turn into fat.

I, for example, eat as much or as little as I want. I eat chocolate, crisps and other junk food as much or as little as i want (although the reality is that I do not eat that much). The real important thing I do is to make sure that (over a period of a week, or so) I use as much calories as I eat.
    I cook in olive oil and not fat, I grill and bake instead of frying. I don't eat that many, in veriety, vegetables (because I dont realy like them) but I try to eat lots in quantity. I like carrots, peppers, onion, mushrooms, beans (as in lenteles, butter beans, kidney beans and other ones in the bean family), chillies, lettice, potatoes and stuff like that. When I make a meal I try to have about a 1/4 or a 1/5 of the meal to be meat and the rest to be veg of some sort.

If you cut down on you crisp, chocolate (basically junk food, cut it down if you eat lots or even a decent amout). Cut down on you carb intake and (as silly as it sounds) walk as much as possible. If you walk/cycle to and from work/college/school (if possible, if not walk some of the way) or maybe even after as just a walk. Walk to the shops. Take the stairs and small things like that you will notice the differance.

When people say balanced they mean not just as in your meal but as in life style too. But it's the smallest changes that make the biggest differance. When I messed my shoulder up and could not go to teh gym anymore I started to put weight on, when I cut crisps out completly and walked to the dart station instead of the 5 min bus journey I stoped putting on weight (have not lost what I put on because I can excersise because I might do harm to my shoulder but will sort that soon).

Change the small things and you'll see. Don't restrict your self or your life style to some Weight Watchers diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

i'm on the weight watchers diet & i find it great!!

although what snowball said is true, i find that it gives a structured approach to dieting!!

i've been a member for 9 weeks & in the first 7 weeks i lost 7lbs ... i know you might say that i could have lost that without joining weight watchers, but i feel that because my weight is being monitored by someone other than myself, i am less likely to lapse!!

however, as stated by snowball exercise is an important part of any diet & for the last 2 weeks i've tried to go for a walk everyday [20 minutes] & i've lost 1 1/2lbs extra for the last 2 weeks!!

so if you find it difficult to stick to an unmonitored diet, i'd advise weight watchers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

Snowball I have to disagree with you on the WW program. It's not a diet as such. They advocate all the things you mentioned in your post, excersizing, eating more fruit & veg, grilling and baking instead of frying. Eating less fatty foods although a little of what you fancy does you no harm.

You just use the points to work out how to ingest your daily allowances of calories without having to have a calculation at the ready.

It's not a diet as such, they are educating people on the changes you can make to your lifestyle to live a healthier life through loosing weight. They don't tell you what to eat. They tell you what is in the food you are eating and advise you of the components that should be making up your daily diet.

The points you made in your post are all true, but some people just need that structure to help them integrate them into their daily lives.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

ok, im trying to eat healthy, im not extremely over weight or anything, but i want to keep my weight down, i now have an office job where previously i worked in manual labour in a warehouse so i do less walking every day. I also played soccer but early in the year I suffered an ankle injury, i havent trained since feb and now im getting back into it thankfully, but need a healthy diet!!!

i eat 1 slice of toast with butter or flora and 2 weetabix (sometimes frosties) and 1 cup of tea (2 sugars and milk) every morning,

i eat 2 slices of white bread with chicken mayo and bacon.... and butter :) from obriens and a pack of obriens cheese and onion crisps every day... boring i know, but I cant help it i love that sandwhich combo. usually drink only water each day at work.

I eat my dinner each evening, usually meat and 2 veg standard irish mammies dinner (usually one of the following... beef or chicken or pork or bacon, peas or carrots or mixed veg, always with potatoes!! :rolleyes: , and a cup of tea in the evening.

Dont know if this is healthy enough, and im not on the weight watcher deal, i dont think i need to be, but i think its a brill scheme, and im interested in keeping my weight down as ive put a little bit on since ive been chained to this damn desk!!!

basically il be playing soccer come end of summer and im looking for a healthy low fat diet to go with my new training regime.

until i get back to soccer, Im training a ladies soccer team and theyre looking for advice on low fatfoods from me too.

tell me any thoughts you have on the above??? My sis did weight watchers and seriosuly improved her eating habits!! but shes away for the summer so i cant find her points chart.

Ok I'm not a WW leader but I'll tell you what I would do if I had your daily diet and some of the changes I have made to my own. Fair play to you for wanting a healthier lifestyle, even a small change will certainly make a difference, it has to me anyway.

Switch to skimmed milk and low fat butter(Low-low or flora are good) use canderel in your tea instead of sugar.

Bacon is quite high in fat so I'd cut that out of the sandwich altogether. The O'Briens bread is very think so eating 2 slices is like eating 4 slices of normal bread. Mayo is quite high in fat but if you were making your own sandwiches I would reccomend switching to the low fat option. As for the crisps, could you switch them for popcorn? or treble crunch or LFC's if you really need that crisps kick.

I think you need to introduce more fruit/veg into your diet. We are supposed to eat 5 portions per day. Have some with your lunch or as a mid morning or afternoon snack. If you go to O'Briens for lunch you'll see they do snack pack grapes, strawberries etc and also have fruit on offer. Bananas are great for energy if you're training in soccer.

Try introducing some fish into your diet, especially that of the oily variety, whether in your evening meal or in your sandwiches. Tuna and mayo sandwiches are yummy, and baked salmon is one of my favourite dinners. Be wary of smothering your veg in butter, and ruining food by frying of any kind. Stir frying is a great way of making healthy tasty meals.

I've found that the trick is not to eat less but to make better choices with the food that you do eat, which will allow you to eat more. If you eat less you will only behungry and therefore more likely to reach for that sugary snack with the short term sugar buzz.

You're drinking water and taking excersize which are 2 of the most important things so you're well on the way. Good Luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

well, up until last year, (im 26) i hardly ate any veg, but now i eat boiled carrots or peas most days, im not a big fish fan since its usually fried battered or breadcrumbed cod, i may oven bake it tho in future.

I was taking vitamin suplements and cod liver oil tablets but not recently... are they a good supplement?

im about 5'10, 5'11 and weigh around 12 stone (dont know that in kilos) so i only want to tone up and lose a few pounds rather than lose lots of weight, so im hoping a diet change and more exercise will be helpful.

thanks for your info, any more is appreciated! bacon....mmmm.... bacon.....:(

hey there, well i don't reallyknow much about vitamin supplements but if you go into your local chemist and tell them what you're lacking they should be able to help you out.

If it's just for toning then more excersize should work well but sure it's no harm in following a good diet too.

Now I know exactly what I should be doing too just gotta put it into practise. Well I lost 4 lbs this week so I'm happy with that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭robo

Hi Commuterised, so how are you doing these days at weight watchers? I just joined up lately?

Anyone got any good tips, other than the above? Like what do you eat when you are having a coffee/tea and instead of a bar, what is just as tasy but with less points than a Mars bar? Any good weight watchers points tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Joanne

I find a cigarette works nicely with tea or coffee, and no calories at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭robo

Originally posted by Joanne

Great idea, but I stopped smoking 13 weeks ago!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Yup, and sure nothing like chemotherapy to help you lose weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by sykeirl
    Yup, and sure nothing like chemotherapy to help you lose weight.
    Why do people find it neccesary to say something like this is every time someone mentions smoking?

You can let one or two pass you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

Originally posted by DapperGent
    Why do people find it neccesary to say something like this is every time someone mentions smoking?
    Because it's no more irrelevant to the thread than the first comment?

Originally posted by Lukin Black
    Because it's no more irrelevant to the thread than the first comment?
    It has fuck all to do with irrelevance and everything to do with casual boring predictable ignorance.

But that wouldn't bother you at all in the midst of your anti-smoking zealotry, would it? Crusade on brave warrior!

It has fuck all to do with irrelevance and everything to do with casual boring predictable ignorance.

But that wouldn't bother you at all in the midst of your anti-smoking zealotry, would it? Crusade on brave warrior!

Strange, I spent a year involved in surgery on lung tumours and all of them were heavy smokers.

Get on your high horse if you want man, but the first comment was a flippant remark and I made one too.

Strange, I spent a year involved in surgery on lung tumours and all of them were heavy smokers.

Get on your high horse if you want man, but the first comment was a flippant remark and I made one too.
    The first comment may have been slightly flippant but at least it was on topic, being a direct reply to someone asking about cutting down on snacking with tea or coffee.

Your mentioned the fact that you worked with cancer patients seem to smack of an "It's okay I can be rude. I'm a doctor." attitude. If an overweight person said they liked chocolate cake would you reply "It won't taste so nice when you've had both feet amputated due to Type 2 Diabetes. Ha ha."?

People constantly and flippantly bringing up a horrible disease all smokers know they have an increased risk off is utterly ignorant. You mention you work in medicine? You should fucking know better.

The first comment may have been slightly flippant but at least it was on topic, being a direct reply to someone asking about cutting down on snacking with tea or coffee.

Your mentioned the fact that you worked with cancer patients seem to smack of an "It's okay I can be rude. I'm a doctor." attitude. If an overweight person said they liked chocolate cake would you reply "It won't taste so nice when you've had both feet amputated due to Type 2 Diabetes. Ha ha."?

People constantly and flippantly bringing up a horrible disease all smokers know they have an increased risk off is utterly ignorant. You mention you work in medicine? You should fucking know better.

Erm, hold on a second.

If we are going to skew the morailty of my comment, how about the morality about "suggesting" smoking as a form of weight loss. Which, is what the original post inadvertantly did.

And don't say it doesn't happen because I have seen 17 year olds coming in with lung problems who "only took up smoking because they heard it supresses your appetite".

I for one, am not going to apologise for informing and reminding people of the risks of smoking, be it flippently or not.

And if you want to be really pedantic, the prevalence of type 2 diabities is nowher enear the 90% of lung cancer cases associated with smoking.

I realise you are probably pissed off about being preached to about smoking but I wasn't directing the comment at you, I was replying to what I felt was an irresponsible post. There is no need to go flaming me.

I realise you are probably pissed off about being preached to about smoking but I wasn't directing the comment at you, I was replying to what I felt was an irresponsible post. There is no need to go flaming me.
    I don't feel you're preaching at me in particular it's the general attitude amongst a lot of people that it's perfectly okay to scream CANCER in the face of any smoker they come across that I find infuriating. I'm not trying to get at you in particular skyeirl (in general I really like your posts) but if you thought the post was irresponsible then you should have replyed to it in a responsible manner.

Would you decry the Simpsons episode where Troy McClure said "You may remember me from such infomercials as Smoke Yourself Thin..."? Why bother it's clearly tongue in cheek.

As I said before you can let some of them pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Carobobaline

ok get over the smoking thing, this was a post about WW. Start a new thread if yous are going to start having a period over it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Joanne

Omigod, what have I done!?!

Sorry about the flippant comment, I thought it had passed unnoticed and uncommented-upon... lordy, you guys can be scary.

• Advertisement

Omigod, what have I done!?!

Sorry about the flippant comment, I thought it had passed unnoticed and uncommented-upon... lordy, you guys can be scary.

Nay bother, apologies Dappergent, I didn't mean to offend you.

Advertisement