Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP needed

Options
  • 09-06-2003 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

on booting pc, WINDOWS 95

on entering windows, it says close all applications and restart,

the normal layout isnt there i.e background etc,
    it freezes then so u have to hit reset,
    it goes to scandisk and asks for a floppy so it can save stuff, but then it gets loads of errors, so the whole thing repeats,

any ideas???????

help appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Into safe mode command prompt only
    Scandisk /all /autofix /surface /nosummary
    and leave it alone for an hour.

Won't really fix anything but at least you will know if bad sectors or not.

Reboot and F8 when is says "starting windows 95" and go into safe mode - if you have installed anything recently then uninstall it.

Start looking for your original disks and serial numbers and drivers... - if you can't find them all Sod's law says you are more likely to need to reinstall it :(

DO NOT UPGRADE TO ANYOTHER VERSIONS OF WINDOWS.
    - you will only inherit the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Not really alot of help probably but id just fdisk and reinstall :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭blahblah

thanks wolfy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭kernel32.dll

have you tried replacing your explorer.exe file?

It may have become corrupt, so extracting it from your Win95 CD and dropping it into the Windows folder might sort it....

Win95 is pretty old though.....think it's time to get yourself a copy of XP.....

i have 2000 on my own pc
    do u reckon XP is better than 2000???

much?

• Advertisement

It's much better, especially for consumers...faster startup & application initialisation, better hardware support, more features, more stable and it's got tonnes of utilities too...

I'd recommend it...

i got a new harddisk so i might try xp on that and see,

there seems to be a lot of XP help required though!!

maybe thats a warning

I wouldn't agree with that....people don't realise that Windows XP is technically completly different from Windows 95/98/Me.

In that sense, it's a more robust operating system with industrial level stability. It's build using WIndows 2000 technology. Because of the way it's designed, some things will be done differently or will be disabled...and this is where people have the problems. The exact same functionality is still in there, but implemented in a different way, or how you access it is slightly different.For example, you can no longer boot into DOS mode anymore, because Windows XP doesn't use DOS - but there is a recovery console that you can install that will allow you to boot to a DOS-style shell in case of somethign going wrong.

Go fo it - you definately won't regret it (just one warning - make sure that your computer is able for it - I'd recommend nothing less than a 500MHz processor with at a very minimum of 128Mb RAM - use 256Mb if you can. Also make sure that all your hardware will work with it...check out on the various vendor websites about drivers).

HTH, Colm.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You have a PC with 95 - this most likely means it is a bookend..

The official spec on first version of 95 is 386DX (eg: 16MHz ) with 4MB RAM (The Beta would run on 386sx - but since a lot of them had HW bugs - multiply failed when warm)

So What ? - Compare that to their specs for 98 / 2K / XP etc... and increase accordingly...

your HW and lack of drivers will determin your OS too.
    eg: winmodems either you have a driver or a paperweight
    Hint nt/2k/xp can get upset with serial mice ,,,

To put XP on your system you need a license ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Try running a virus scan first.

• Advertisement

You are only allowed to use M$ SW according to their terms & conditions.

My favorite one is the media player license - which states that the current license is the one on their web site (and when they edit that later - GOTCHA !)

The policy is to encourage piracy until market share is so high that you have to use m$ products to collaborate with others. Then they make the licensing terms even more restricive and send in the BSA.

Evidence:
    a) 040-5555555 is the serial for every product before 1998
    b) they have said they will not prosecute pirates in china

Note: they have also pulled powertoys v1.0 for XP because it would allow you to connect into a domain with the cheaper home version...

Advertisement