Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provissional Application Form (Help!)

Options
  • 09-06-2003 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭

Hi, a complete noobar to these form things uggh I hate forms and get confused easily by them :) One quick question on the part on the form where you tick for the type of Provisional License Sought (a1,a,b,c1 etc) can you tick multiple boxes or just one? As on the cert for my theory test it was for categories A,B,M,W so I assume I can just tick those corresponding boxes?

Im sure this seems completly idiotic of me but alas as Ive stated above id sooner walk on hot coals that fill out forms!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

If you read the rules of the road, there are two pages given over to explaining the licence categories.

A/A1 = motorcycles
    B = passenger car with a gross vehicle mass not more than 3500kg, and a passenger seating capacity of not more than 8
    M = Moped (I think you're entitled to this one if you have a car licence)
    W = Work vehicle or land tractor - you get this automatically when you pass your car test too

I'm assuming you want to get a car licence, so tick the box for B, and if you want, you could tick the box for W too, and possibly M. Have a good look over the rules of the road book, and if you're still not sure, most driving schools will help you out with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭jammy_dodger

I think you can only pick one of em

Im doing my Theory test in 2 weeks, and im also a little confused.
    Im gettin my Provisional in order to drive a moped.
    Now i know in the theory test there's a moped section.
    But do i have to do that part?
    can i not just do the regular catagory for driving a car, and use that for the moped.
    Or do i have to to do the moped one specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Rules of the road?! I may give it a read some day.....

I know the categories and what they mean was just wondering if ya could tick multiple boxes for the multiple categories, I only really need the car license though. Thx for the answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 thetarget

You can tick A,B,M and W. The theory test covers these. If you didn't and wanted another license after then you'd have to sit the theory test again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Theres good info on the new ISM site.
    www.ism.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, you can tick all four, but why bother?

Cat B covers both M and W. When you get a full licence in cat. B, you can't get M or W on your full licence because it covers you for them by default.

So unless you plan on driving a tractor while you're driving the car, you won't need it ;)

I wouldn't advise ticking the A or A1 boxes.

Let's say you get your full B licence after 2 years.

Then a year or two later, you decide to get a motorbike. Now you're starting out your biking career on your second provisional, limiting yourself to 2 years, and having to apply for a test and get a new provisional every year after that.

Too much headache.

Don't apply for any category unless you plan to use it.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

When I applied for my licence I had ticked categories A and B (I asked the clerk if it was OK first, she said it was fine). When I got the licence, it was valid for M, A1, A and B. You might as well tick A as well just in case you feel like getting a motorbike or scooter some time in the future, it'll save you having to reapply for a licence (and knowing those muppets they'll probably mess it up).

jammy dodger, when they ask you what vehicles you want to be tested on, say car and bike. The theory test is exactly the same for both, but if you only specify one or the other before the test you'll have to retake the test if you want to drive the unspecified vehicle. When I went in I was only planning to get a motorbike, but I specified car and bike so that I'd be covered if I decided some time in the future to get a car.

Advertisement